Being Under Cult Mind Control is a Psychological Disorder - Steve Hassan

by flipper 89 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

marking - thanks for bumping this, Flipper!!

• still thinking
    still thinking

I really is scary sh*t isn't it? I can't believe I let them mess up my mind that much....pisses me off

• flipper
    flipper

ZIDDINA- Thanks for marking it. This is a serious situation in that some ex-Witnesses don't realize they were under mind control as Witnesses or even HAD a condotion called " dissociative disorder " . I hope people definitely take the time to read Steve Hassan's books on mind control. I know reading those books really helped me to move on from the JW's and understand the control tactics the WT society used

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bumping the thread again...

For those who are looking for Steve Hassan's books, you might see if you can get an inter-library loan if your local library doesn't have the book...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It seems that giving up personal responsibility to any person or group is self-destructive. Perhaps the Witnesses feel they are benign. It is the giving up of power that is so dangerous. This has almost nothing to do with doctrine. Rereading this thread, I was struck by disassociative disorder and dependent personality disorder. Right on! I believe that individuals already exhibiting these disorders are drawn to the Witnesses. I've read many times that the major difference between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism is not so much doctrine per se as a temperamental view of authority.

To endure the meetings as a child, I disassociated. I had to escape from the total coldness and rigidity, not to mention the total lack of child level material. Would playing a Bible game as a two or three year old be such rank heresy. Since I was child, I could not walk out. So I lived inside my head, deeper and deeper. They say the web between abused spouse and abuser is not simple. I've also read that children who are bullied are not passive victims but that they play a role. Not certain of the details.

I feel this is where the Witnesses are vulnerable. When I talk to people with minimal exposure to JWs, they have no idea of shunning, mind control, and attention to details usually private - such as beard or sans beard, oral sex or no oral sex, colored shirts or no colored shirts, no pants for women, etc. Most people only know about knocking on doors and blood. Even the blood issue gets confused. Armageddon, Christology -- weird ideas but calling them weird involves a value judgment I am not competent to make. I just feel there has to be more publicity as to how detached Witnesses are. It gets confusing, though. The Amish are a high control but greatly admired. Scientology and Moonies are not.

There was an element in the Witness' control that I can't articulate well. They are not merely an exacting, strict religion. Jesus' words were exacting as love one another, cherish the poor, etc. I think other strict religions allow more room for individual decision. The regimentation the Witnesses impose is not necessary for their doctrine. It is not based on scripture or doctrine. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The Nazis were very popular in the most civilized country on the planet. My confirmation teacher was a seminary student in Germany during the huge rallies at Nuremberg. He said you could tangibly feel the evil in the air. He most certainly did and left almost immediately to return home. I see Triumph of the Will and marvel at its beauty yet it is evil.

• flipper
    flipper

Hadn't realized this thread had been bumped up 9 days ago. Been really busy ! Thanks for the comments !

STILL THINKING- It is some scay $hit for sure. But don't get too down on yourself for the WT society controlling you like they did. The WT society controlled ALL of us who were once in the Witnesses ! They use insidious and tricky, deceptive , manipulating mind control methods which even controlled very intelligent people ! Coming under cult mind control had NOTHING to do with how smart we were or not - they appealed to our desires to have " eternal life " - then abused us from that hook point on. Just be glad you are out my friend ! Glad I'm out too !

ZIDDINA - Good point about Steve Hassan's books being at a library. Or perhaps checking on his website to order one as well possibly. The website is : www.freedomofmind.com.

BAND ON THE RUN- Very true what you write. The total control that the WT society permeates into their members is very harsh. They promote punishment and coldness and they promote hate as well. No matter WHAT Jehovah's Winesses claim- that they promote love and kindness- their actions belie their claims. And it causes members to not even be aware of the fact that they are bEING controlled. It's like being a frog in a slowly boiling pot of water- most Witnesses are NOT aware that they are under mind control. And THAT is why the WT society is so successful using mind control- it works, unfortunately.

But I agree with you- these mind control tactics which take away the authentic born in human personality of Witnesses , needs to be exposed for what it really is to the public- and that is that it is a CRIMINAL activity being used by the WT society to steal away lives and JW's identitys as real human beings who can feel and show empathy. We all need to speak up about it and make it known ! Just mt opinion

• flipper
    flipper

Thought I'd bump up this thread I made a couple years ago as some newer members started interesting threads on Mind control lately. This deals with Steve Hassan's outlook. Some may find it interesting. Any comments welcome

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• still thinking
    still thinking

Another great thread from Mr Flipper....bumping for new members...

• still thinking
    still thinking

Mind control isn't about the doctrines of JW's or the hypnotism of SCI-FI cults as you say - but it's more the mind control TECHNIQUES that cults like Jehovah's Witnesses , Scientologists, and Mormons use that take away a persons individualism and coerces them to hand over their minds to a " group " type think tank mentality which gets dominated by the leaders of these various cults.

This is so true Flipper. And should not be underestimated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit