Being Under Cult Mind Control is a Psychological Disorder - Steve Hassan

by flipper 89 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

MAD SWEENEY- Very true. Mind control isn't about the doctrines of JW's or the hypnotism of SCI-FI cults as you say - but it's more the mind control TECHNIQUES that cults like Jehovah's Witnesses , Scientologists, and Mormons use that take away a persons individualism and coerces them to hand over their minds to a " group " type think tank mentality which gets dominated by the leaders of these various cults. And the MAIN techniques used to intimidate and dominate JW's and other cult members is FEAR and GUILT to keep members trapped and scared of leaving due to fear of rejection. Incredible, isn't it ? When you really think about it

• moon84
    moon84

WOBBLE- I agree with you as well that we have to use to word "cult" sparingly. If I told my mom that I thought she brought us up in a cult I would most likely be removed from the family unit. Telling them that we think it is a cult will only anger them more and push them further away from realizing the truth. I kind of like to look at it like telling an alcoholic that they are one and they end up refusing that term. We can't tell them that because that is something they need to see for themselves. They need to be ones to seek out the truth for themselves and to learn that they do in fact have control of their lives but until then saying any of this to them is like beating your head into a wall.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't know whether this would work but maybe rather than bring up psychology, "cults", mind control, etc. just stay alert to any time a JW mentions that their decision is based on the religion somehow. They do it annoyingly often, saying stuff like, "we heard at the assembly that we shouldn't be on Facebook," or, "during the CO visit he mentioned how we shouldn't watch vampire movies," or, "I can't do such and such on Saturday because I have to go out in service."

What if every time we heard a JW credit someone else (the Borg) for making their decisions for them we simply asked, "Why couldn't you have decided on that for yourself?" Whatever they answer, don't follow up. Just stick with the question and repeat it every time they pass the buck off to the society or elders or whoever. JWs are quite comfortable letting others think for them because it psychologically removes them from personal responsibility when for instance, prophecies NEVER come true. At the same time, there's another person in there who KNOWS he/she is enslaved. They even CALL THEMSELVES slaves, so they can't really deny it. (03/15/05 Watctower, "You Were Bought With A Price - it is all about how JWs are willing and happy slaves)

• moon84
    moon84

Mad Sweeny- Good point! They usually make it very clear that they can not make a decision on their own. This is a problem I face with my family all the time and I should ask them why they could not decide this for themselves? Why does someone have to make the decision for them? I think many of us that fall out of the JW organization realize that we can make wise decisions on our own. And any decisions we do make we are willing to take responsibilty for.

• kjw53
    kjw53

Consider this-- Adam and Eve, even though given free will were controlled by God, It was God who told them how they should live- So by exercising her free will against what God had told her was the best path-We now have this world-A world of confusion. Eve was Perfect-God spoke directly to Adam, yet he too exercised his free will as well- Obviously without the direction given by God human thoughts on matters are usually wrong, especially now in this imperfect state of being. And if one thinks they can out think satan on matters they better step back and think again. He was there before man was in existence-He has seen it all-He got to Gods elite all the time. So i ask you- how does one think that they can read Gods word better than men who have studied it their whole lives? And if you say the holy spirit will guide you-then i have gotten that answer probably 50 times yet when i ask what is a 7 headed beast with 10 horns-Not one of them has a clue. But the answer is right there in Gods word.

• flipper
    flipper

MOON 84- Yes, I definitely agree we an't go up to a JW and tell them they are in a cult without expecting a negative reaction. It is best for JW's to see that themselves in time. Much more subtle methods must be used to reach Witnesses.

MAD SWEENEY- Good points you make. I like your suggestion to ask Witnesses " Why couldn't you have decided on that for yourself ? " Of course, some die hard JW's may suggest that independent thinking is " worldly " as they phrase it - but still like you say the bottom line is to get JW's to use their OWN minds and get them to thinking on their own - instead of being controlled by the WT society thinking. Good suggestions by you.

KJW53- The premise of reasoning you use is all well - that is - if we believe in the account of Adam & Eve in the bible. The Bible in many people's minds was just written by men who were putting forth their own story or version of beliefs. But if we are to believe God controls everybody and prevents them from hurting themselves - why hasn't he done anything to prevent mankind from controlling other humans ? I suggest that humans have ALWAYS controlled one another through mind control and manipulation through religion, governments, financial empires, etc. And that there has never bEEN a God to step in and rectify things. There is an awakening happening in our society now trumpeting freedom of speech and rights. I will always be one to help promote that freedom of thought and speech

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Flipper said:

I suggest that humans have ALWAYS controlled one another through mind control and manipulation through religion, governments, financial empires, etc. And that there has never bEEN a God to step in and rectify things. There is an awakening happening in our society now trumpeting freedom of speech and rights. I will always be one to help promote that freedom of thought and speech. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

I can't argue with that!

Snoozy

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Moon 84 wrote:

WOBBLE- I agree with you as well that we have to use to word "cult" sparingly. If I told my mom that I thought she brought us up in a cult I would most likely be removed from the family unit

You are if you are disfellowshipped..or your Mom was, you would be disfellowshipped..removed from the family unit! = CULT..

Course you could also be shunned / kicked out of family unit for speaking your opinion=CULT

Mind control of CULTS:

Main article:
    Mind control
    Studies performed by those who believe that some religious groups do practice mind control have identified a number of key steps in coercive persuasion: [31] [32]

People are put in physical or emotionally distressing situations;
      Their problems are reduced to one simple explanation, which is repeatedly emphasized;
      They receive unconditional love, acceptance, and attention from a charismatic leader or group;
      They get a new identity based on the group;
      They are subject to entrapment (isolation from friends, relatives and the mainstream culture) and their access to information is severely controlled. [33]

Snoozy

• flipper
    flipper

SNOOZY- Good points you make. People in cults are severely controlled on what information they are allowed access to. And they get a new cult identity which masks or hides their authentic born with identity. And very true - people ARE put in physically and emotionally distressing situations. You hit the nail on the head

• flipper
    flipper

Wanted to bump this thread up for newer members who may not have read about this

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit