Malawi proof?

by AwSnap 16 Replies latest jw friends

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Hi, I remember reading Crisis of Conscience, and being really upset by that Malawi cover-up situation. Is any of that in public record? If I remember correctly, wasn't most of that information kept on the down-low? How would someone be able to show a jw that information without bringing up Ray's book?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The problem is not having "proof" or "data".

The problem is getting them to think for themselves.

Divine Command Theory-- "If Jehovah wanted a double standard in Malawi/Mexico, then a double standard is proper, just and righteous."

Truth/Facts are helpless against the power of belief.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

surely the first hand account of Ray Franz being on the G/B at the time and the 2 votes that swung in favour of the brethren in Malawi being banned from purchasing Banda's party card is proof enough from CoC ,surely Ray has the minutes of the G/B sessions on this matter, unlikely that they will be made public though

edit; Amnesty International made themselves acquainted and publicised the persecution of the Malawi brethren during this time

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Darn. Well, I believe it. But then again, I don't consider myself a jw anymore. Ok, thanks.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Awsnap, I'm not sure what info you are looking for but the Malawia business was in the Watchtower. The society printed the info about what was happening.

• nelly136
    nelly136

they had us sending letters to petition whichever government leader was persecuting them. you could count the time for that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I believe that the point at issue is not the persecution in Malawi, which is well documented by the WT...But in Ray Franz's book he says that it was touch and go whether to allow them to buy the darn card (in which case many lives would have been spared ) and that a similar issue of principle happened in Mexico and the G B allowed them to comply.

I do not have the details to hand, the above is from my very fallible memory

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

BB; IIRC the first G/B session over the Party Card fiasco did not produce a two thirds majority so they had to re convene to get the needed two thirds vote that condemned their own brethren to rape/torture/kidnap/tar and feathering/murder/kidnap/imprisonment, the G/B members who voted on this should be condemned to a place worse then hell, scum

• blondie
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

They are great links Blondie regarding Mexico bribes.

It is documented in the Watchtower about the hundreds of Malawi JWs loosing their life for not being able to hold a political card at Yearbook 1999 pp.149-223 - sorry that i don't have access to the quote at the moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit