the first christmas...need help

by highdose 31 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

hey everyone,

i've decided for the first time in my life to celebrate christmas this year, just like everyone else around here. Trouble is i have no idea how to begin! ??! i know its needs alot of prep which is why i'm posting this now. And no i'm not going to be celebrating christs birth, just the general holiday itself...

... tips please!?

• greenie
    greenie

Put up some decor! Doesn't have to be Christmas trees if you don't want, tho I love them, but there are lots of options. Go to Barnes & Noble and look up decorating ideas in their magazines. If you like to cook, you can also try some Christmas season recipes, like gingerbread men. Yum! Find people to exchange gifts with. Maybe with some friends? You could all draw names. You could also take on a charity project. I know I've bought gifts for a child whose family couldn't afford them one year, served in a soup kitchen another year, etc. You could also go to some of the Christmas movies that always come out this time of year. Or, heck, go to the mall and take your first pic with Santa!!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

While working out how to decorate and celebrate, start looking at Christmas cards and putting a list together of names and addresses of friends. Start writing your cards now so you can mail them the first week in December. Getting cards out early will get you in the game early, will be one less thing to do when the season kicks in, and will let others know that you are celebrating (and they will have enough time to send you a card, too, if you were not already on their card exchange list.) Find a place to display the cards you receive.

Do you care if JWs or family know that you are celebrating?

That alone can make a huge difference in responses.

-Aude.

• DJK
    DJK

Never give fruitcake as a gift.

• highdose
    highdose

i don't care at all if the JW's find out i'm celebrating. i want to have a house full of decorations! i love red baubles! no idea why!? but i don't want tacky stuff, i want cool and stylish christmas dec's

PS, definatly going to have a tree!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    greenie wrote: Or, heck, go to the mall and take your first pic with Santa!!

OMG!! That is a great idea!! Too funny!

-Aude.

• highdose
    highdose

ok what about this?... i have my pic taken with santa... turn it into xmas cards and then mail them to all the JW's i know!!! hahahahaha!!!

Merry Xmas and a Happy new year

Lifes great out of the cult!

Love highdose XXX

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

If you don't care about JWs knowing, then also start buying some Christmas lights to hang outside or even just inside your living room window(s). Plan to hang them Mid-November and set them on a timer so they come on automatically.

You will be thrilled each time you come home.

• highdose
    highdose

ok but heres the big debate.... clear twinkle lights or multicoloured ones..... so hard to chose!

• whoknows
    whoknows

I am getting my first Christmas tree this year since I was 15, which was 42 years ago. I am extremely excited about it. Christmas was always a happy time in our house - even though my parents fought like cats and dogs the rest of the year. I have very warm and fuzzy memories of the whole experience. My favorite part is the tree.

A good tip I was given was that when you string the lights, you zig zag them on the tree, don't wrap them round and round. Apparently it is much easier to take down. For me it has to be a real tree, the smell in the house is half of the experience.

I can't wait!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit