Do you wear a poppy?

by dozy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah well, we all know what he was doing to them. It's everywhere, all the time. Have you heard about the other holocausts? Armenian, ukrainian?

S

• Charlie Cheddar
    Charlie Cheddar

I'd wear one.

Nobody with a sound, rational mind likes war. Generally it means death & suffering for the masses, and in many cases it is for the purpose of satisfaction and selfish gain for power obsessed leaders.

However, like Outlaw has mentioned, if someone like Hitler was to rise again, we'd have no choice but to fight and spill blood in the name of defending ourselves and keeping our freedom and liberty.

CC

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yes I do. Every year.

To me, a poppy is a symbol of those who gave their life so I could live free. I respect this immensely. I do not take my freedom for granted or lightly. I never joined the JWs because I wanted to live free.

So I show my respect for these people who laid their lives down for all of us, including the JWs who also enjoy this benefit but refuse to acknowledge it.

Poppy

• Heaven
    Heaven

In Flanders Fields By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blowBetween the crosses row on row,That mark our place; and in the skyThe larks, still bravely singing, flyScarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days agoWe lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,Loved and were loved, and now we lieIn Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:To you from failing hands we throwThe torch; be yours to hold it high.If ye break faith with us who dieWe shall not sleep, though poppies growIn Flanders fields.

• jambon1
    jambon1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbmlec5EavU

Yes, I do.

RIP & lest we forget.

• jambon1
    jambon1

This is my story
    This is my song
    It's a long way from Gorgie
    To the fields o' the Somme
    Where they played tunes of glory
    As we marched along
    The pals o' the Sporting Battalion

From the Heart of Midlothian
    To the Waverly train
    The crowds they were singing
    An auld Scots refrain
    Our sweethearts and darlings
    Our bonnie wee bairns
    Were waving their flags
    And calling our names

Sing Hearts of Glory
    Dawn and sunset
    Hearts of glory
    Lest we forget
    Young Scottish soldiers
    And soldiers unknown
    Who gave hearts of glory

In the trenches of Picardy
    The whistles are blown
    And it's over the top lads
    Through the wire and the bombs
    To pain and destruction
    Let the piper play
    To lead us to hell
    To death and dismay

There was never a moment
    I was not afraid
    But there by my side
    Were the gallant McCrae's
    Until they fell in the slaughter
    When the bayonets were out
    Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com
    And the few of us left
    Held the auld Scots Redoubt

Ellis and Currie
    Briggs, Boyd, Hazeldean
    Wattie and Nisbet
    He was only sixteen
    Their names I'll remember
    At the end of each day
    They fought and died
    Wi' Geordie McCrae

Who cared for the Kaiser
    Or Imperial gains
    Love of our country
    Duty or fame?
    Between the whim of an airman
    And four feathers of shame
    We fought for the pals
    Of a wee fitba team

And when it was over
    Just what had we done?
    There were no flags of glory
    For McCrae and his own
    There were no graves for heroes
    For our brothers and sons
    Who sleep 'neath the flowers
    In the fields of the Somme

Some came back as cripples
    Some couldnae kick a ball
    Some wounded and broken
    Most came not at all
    But they remain in my memory
    Forever young
    The pals o' the Sporting Battalion

• parakeet
    parakeet

When I was a young child (before the dub trauma), everyone in our school would sell 10-cent artificial poppies to our neighbors in May just before Memorial Day. The proceeds would go to veterans' organizations. I don't see the custom in my state anymore. Has poppy-wearing gone out of style in the U.S.?

Satanus: Have you heard about the other holocausts? Armenian, ukrainian?

I never knew about the Ukrainian holocaust (est. 20,000,000 killed by Stalin) until I learned it in a college history class. And my family is Ukrainian! Why do we never see movies about how Stalin butchered whole villages of peasants who refused to give up their land to the collectives? And the Holocaust in China, where the Japanese army slaughtered untold millions of Chinese before and during WWII. And the present-day Holocausts in Africa? Who speaks for these people?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Yes, I am so grateful for all these people have done for us and how they give up so much in their life to try and make mine better. I truly mean this. For years I secretly wanted to put money in the SA kettle at the holidays, and to buy the Vet's poppies when I saw them being sold. I am also very grateful to be allowed now to proudly buy and wear them without the fear of "displeasing" the Watchtowergod.

• trueblue
    trueblue

I don't see the custom in my state anymore. Has poppy-wearing gone out of style in the U.S.?

I think they found a new kind of poppy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWdjKiVtjoQ

• dozy
    dozy

My views are pretty much what Heaven said , but I respect the rights & views of everyone else.

I was more concerned with the ramifications from a “fader” point of view & whether it would be perceived as evidence of “apostate” views , or that a faded ex-JW was “no longer one of Jehovah’s witnesses”. Yet I have never seen it in print in the WTS publications that the WTS doesn’t allow JWs to wear poppys , so I don’t know whether it could tangibly be used as evidence. I suspect that a news headline “JW excommunicated for wearing a poppy” wouldn’t exactly be a good witness.

Oh – and a warm welcome back to Slimboyfat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit