Do you wear a poppy?

by dozy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
    dozy

I always wished that I could wear a poppy on the run-up to Rememberance Sunday ( for details on this British Commonwealth custom see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_day ) and often used to buy a poppy but binned it before anyone saw me wearing one.

As I understand it , it is a DFing offence ,though I can’t see anything explicity in the WTS literature. Anybody who is faded but not DFd worn one and what feedback did you get?

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

No i dont wear one but i do buy one, when an elder asked why i said to pay my respects to ALL who died, not just Enlgish but everyone. I asked is that wrong, he didnt answer? So if the shepherds dont exlain then fine....I'm buying out of the goodness of my heart.

Jesus died for those who died at war, and i feel for them.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

No I hate war. I think it's one of the things JWs got right. I would rather honour people who refused to bear arms than those who went to kill and be killed for all sorts of dubious reasons. No poppy for me.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

Going to buy and wear one this year. My grandfather who wasn't a witness couldn't understand why we wouldn't wear them.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Do I wear a Poppy?

Absolutely!

Good men died to protect our freedoms..

Without them..

We would be living in Hitlers World..

His genocide would be a little slower than the WBT$..

But..

Just as effective..

.............................OUTLAW

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What freedoms did fighting in the trenches preserve? It was just pointless suffering on all sides, a generation who gave their life for nothing at all but the stupidity of their leaders, and a system that demanded warfare. The ideology surrounding today's poppies is not so much about honouring anyone who died in such senseless conflicts as it is about building support for our governments' contemporary wars generally, and at the moment in Afghanistan in particular. Instead of lamenting the pointless deaths of 1914-1918 and vowing never to repeat it, those who hand out poppies would send out yet more to die. No government or nation or ideology is worth killing for or being killed for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdxgNPb5xWo

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

SBF..

Like you I would prefer to do away with War..

Lets set that aside for the moment..

What sort of world do you think we would live in,if Hitler Had Succeeded?..

.....................................OUTLAW

• journey-on
    journey-on

You always put it right out there, Outlaw.. Indeed, a picture is worth a thousand words.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hitler's war was against judaism and communism. So, russia would have left communism a few decades earlier. Europe would have been unified a few decades earlier. China would not have gone communist. Africa would have become more oranised. England, canada and the usa would have been little affected, cuz his war wasn't against them. In fact, he thought that england was going to side w him. Just saying.

S

• journey-on
    journey-on

You left out what would have happened to the Jews.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit