Has anyone got any experience of Autism ?

by judi8751 47 Replies latest social family

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

It is hereditary. I just depends on how functional they are. They will excel at math and spacial skills

• finding my way
    finding my way

I'm no expert but I have a little experience and a big curiosity. Mostly with Aspergers. My brother in law has Aspergers and I used to work with a 3 year old who was not very high functioning. He didn't speak in words but he had noises that you could figure out if you knew him. He could do a puzzle faster than any of the other children in his preschool room. He had trouble transitioning from an activity he enjoyed. I wish the system, could somehow let them do what they like more often, but in mainstream rooms they focus on trying to get them to go along with the class so they will learn to fit in..

I currently work a few hours a day with an eight year old with Aspergers. He's a delight!! He says the funniest and most inciteful things. I prefer talking with him to "average" children at times. I help him with his homework so he will complete it. He's easily distracted but very capable of doing his school work. He just needs reminded to keep focus. He needs breaks or he gets overwhelmed and he gets mad when the homework is very similar to what he's been doing the days before. He gets bored with the same old problems, understandably. Because he's high functioning he is starting to get a sense that he's different than other children and it's hard to watch him as he gets frustrated at other children that don't understand him. I try my best to help him approach others in a way that will get a better reaction from others but he often cries and wants to fight with others over things that seem insignificant to the others. I think some of that comes from being a bit spoiled at home. He's the youngest and the next sibling up is 19 I think...

I've heard it said by others with Aspergers that they feel people just need to try harder to understand their way of thinking, instead of trying to change them. I read a book written by an adult with aspergers who wasn't diagnosed until he was in his 40's I think. It's called "Look me in the eye". It's great! There's also a website called aspiesforfreedom.com here's what is says on their home page:

Aspies for Freedom began in June 2004. We have the view that aspergers and autism are not negative, and are not always a disability. This was a new concept to many people, but since we started the idea has spread further and now we are joined by many people who share the same positive view. It was called Aspies for freedom as the founders were all aspies, though the group is for anyone with autism, asperger's or any spectrum condition. We know that autism is not a disease, and we oppose any attempts to "cure" someone of an autism spectrum condition, or any attempts to make them 'normal' against their will. We are part of building the autism culture. We aim to strengthen autism rights, oppose all forms of discrimination against aspies and auties, and work to bring the community together both online and offline.

I find that pretty interesting.

As far as what causes it...there's obviously a huge debate out there and I haven't a clue what really causes it. I've read a ton of books by mothers with children with Autism and by doctors. I tend to feel that environmental things could cause some to be effected, maybe in connection to a genetic predisposition. I think when they are young, there could be no harm in trying the gluten free casien free diet that helps the intestines of some of the children that have a problem in their tummies. The idea behind this is that some of the chemicals in vaccines negatively effect the gut which harms the digestion and elimination of toxins, effecting the brain.. A great book is "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears. He's NOT ANTI VACCINE. Hes a pediatrician that believes parents who choose to delay vaccines should not be left alone without pediatricians (some doctors will not work with you f you want to go against the recommended schedule). His book goes over each vaccine and discusses the risks of catching the disease and the ingredients in question and then gives his opinion.

I'm pregnant now and am still mulling over the whole vaccine decision. Because my husbands brother is on the spectrum and he was a child when there weren't even as many vaccines as today I feel like I should be cautious about vaccines. I think I will probably delay most of them past the age Autism usually shows signs. The ones I choose to get for my young one will be spaced out one at a time, and I'll avoid ones that aren't as necessary like chicken pox.. Some believe the side effects of the vaccines are worse than if they actually got what is being vaccinated against. I realize this is a VERY sensitive issue and don't judge anyones choice on the matter. All I can do is educate myself as much as possible (which I believe I have) and act accordingly.

Also, I know of a few children who didn't speak until 4 or 5. One of them started speaking in full sentences all of a sudden when they hadn't talked at all. I guess he just didnt feel like it. Another child at work that I don't work directly with, speaks very little but he is getting more verbal. He's 9 i believe..

~fmy

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Leo, after meeting you and hearing how eloquently you speak I would never have guessed you did not speak till 4.

My parents first thought I was deaf and I had my hearing tested several times, and it was later determined that I had serious trouble attending to and processing spoken speech. But I was already drawn to the written word and was obsessed with the dictionary long before I used spoken language, so once I learned to read that helped me advance my speaking ability a great deal. I had speech therapy up to sixth grade and continued with intensive cognitive therapy (particularly to improve my auditory deficits) through eighth grade. I have high verbal ability so eloquence was always within my reach, although I still feel much more expressive in writing than in speech. I have trouble still processing speech in noisy environments or with fast conversations occurring; in fact, I recall that when we all met up for dinner, I asked you if we could switch restaurants because I was overloaded by the noise and couldn't hold much of a conversation in that environment. I am worse off in learning a second language through spoken means and I am about as hopeless as I was as a child learning English; I had to quit French in college because of this and I switched to Greek and Latin where everything was written. I greatly prefer dealing with written texts than recorded speech in my linguistics work.

I found out this weekend that a friend of mine has two children, both with Aspergers and there is a history on her husbands side. Is it hereditary?

There is definitely a hereditary link, although probably not in all cases. There have been many twin studies and family history studies that establish the connection. In my case, my nephew has AS or HFA too and one of my great aunts was an erstwhile mute who was also very eccentric and thus was possibly on the spectrum.

finding my way....Thank you for sharing your experiences with the children you know....all very interesting.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Both of my children are on the spectrum, both high functioning. I believe it is in most cases hereditary, as I have a cousin and a nephew with autism also. My children lean towards Aspergers.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Aspehereisnotacircle, yes, it sounds like he could possibly be on the spectrum. Maybe Aspergers. Quite often they are what is described as 'socially awkward', in that they say and do inappropriate things, they don't realise what is socially acceptable. These are things that need to be taught. Being an 'expert' on a particular subject is also an autistic tendency. Some may for instance go on and on and on about a subject of their interest, yet won't engage in conversation outside of this. This is why early intervention is necessary.

• Adalwolfa
    Adalwolfa

My son has been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome or borderline Autism. Since then I've read just about anything I could lay my hands on. The thing is he is very bright but doesn't mix very well socially. At first that was a major shock to me as a parent. But more I've read about it the more I've realized that what we consider as 'normal' might not be so normal after all. The thing that those kids lack is 'social glue' but not because of them not wanting friends but because of 'being different' and not being accepted by the rest of the crowd.
    In time I've learned that some of the greatest minds ever have had Aspareger's or Autism including Albert Einstein, Mozart, Newton, Benjaming Franklin, Abraham Linkoln, George Washington, Leonardo Da Vinci and so on and so on. So much so that some scholars are now calling it the genious gene. In fact, the bottom line premise that comes through is that what we consider normal is in fact another word for average.

• finding my way
    finding my way

Kudos Adalwolfa. I agree with your statement regarding Aspergers. I wouldn't be upset one bit if I had an Einstein for a child.

I can see that it would be a struggle for a parent to adjust for their child but it could be like any other challenge that comes up in parenting. It's probably a lot more of a challenge for those with children with autism that are considered a lot "lower functioning". Many of them don't speak and may not even respond to you at all when you talk to them. They tend to be very locked inside their own mind and may not wish, or be able to come out. Because of this inability to relate they usually have many other behavior problems and may have a much harder time potty training and things like this.

So, I just wouldn't want to ignore the parents out there that struggle with these more severe behaviors. It's probably very difficult for them.

~fmy

• andys
    andys

I am slightly on the autistic side, I have a form of autism known as PDD-Nos, I have a special skill that I have always exceeded at and that is I am very good at website design, I even have a contract with a business that I help do their website work, also I really need to mention something else that when i got out of the watchtower i noticed that I have had alot easier time communicating with people, now I can think for myself and also think independently since I live on my own.

There is a doctor over in Minnesota who has PDD-Nos, he is a Chiropractor, he also points out how people with autsim who get chiropractor treatments can benefit, i have never had one before but have thought about it sometimes see how it would help me improve, this is the doctors website:

http://www.drpatsuglia.com/index.html

Also this is his youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RevDrPSuglia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit