Your views of the headship

by greenie 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greenie
    greenie

I've heard a little about this business, but I'm curious as to what you all think about it. JW and exJW women - do you/did you believe it and abide by it? JW and exJW men - do you still believe it? How do you practice it? I personally don't put much credence in it...I prefer Galatians 3:28. I guess I've been thinking on here because a lot of people, despite being exJWs seem to have a knee-jerk reaction to this idea when I talk about my situation. They said I, the nonJW woman, should expect if I marry a JW man, to be under his headship. That's what he'll expect and that the elders will even come by to talk to me about it.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself effectively, but do any of you get how BIZARRE a concept that is to me? That just because the WTS teaches some headship rule (and I know other religions do as well) and that elders might even come by to talk about it, that I will be inclined to listen to them when I neither believe in the WTS' teachings on that or in the authority of some elder? Those are their rules, not mine! I guess I might equate it to someone from another country expecting you to follow the laws of their country, instead of your own. THEM: "Hey! The speed limit is 55 in Austria! You have to drive 50!" ME: "Well, that's great for you, but I'm not a citizen of Austria, and I can't drive 55!" =)

Am I missing something?

Ok, thoughts welcome!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The first time I tried to explain the concept of headship to my husband (worldly) he looked at me like I had lost my mind.

• greenie
    greenie

Mr. Jones sounds fantastic!

• carla
    carla

I would never in a million years go along with the jw view of 'headship'! Besides, the whole 'headship' thing is meant for Christians and I don't consider jw's Christian so it really doesn't apply to them. (though I think many abuse the word and meaning of 'headship' not just jw's)

• dinah
    dinah

Josie, Mr. Dinah had the same reaction but I think he added a "wtf?"

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Dunno, despite being raised in the borg, I've always considered domestic partnerships to be 50/50 with both parties having an equal say. Seems most of the women I've had relationships with see it the same way, tho I don't know that all persons do and to what extent religion factors into it.

• wobble
    wobble

A study of the scriptures on this matter prove that JW's , yet again, have got it wrong. I had big issues with this when I was a Dub, I always viewed my marriage as an equal partnership, so if I run up debts, my wife is responsible for half of them !

I cannot go into the scriptural errors right now,as it is late here in the U.K and I am snoring as I type this, but if you do need more info, P.M me.

Suffice to say you can tell the Elders to go ........... (insert whatever in here)

The J.W view of headship is not scriptural ,and certainly not practical in the 21st century, it also causes unnecessary stress on a marriage.

love

Wobble

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Josie, Mr. Dinah had the same reaction but I think he added a "wtf?""

Yeah, I think that "wtf?!" thought went to his mind too. He responded by saying he never wanted to hear me said that again and as far as he was concerned our marriage would be 50/50 meaning no one was to be head but we are partners. And for the most part it's worked out that way.

• chickpea
    chickpea

all i can say is that for my husband
    it was an unwelcomed and unembraced
    artificial concept, and my idiotic allegience
    to it allowed for all manner of chaos that
    can be expected on a rudderless ship

• greenie
    greenie

PM'd you Wobble! Would love to know!

Thanks for all your comments. It just surprised me how many said: "No! Don't marry him! Then you'll be under his headship!" That was just a funny assumption to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit