Memories of 8 day conventions

by monkeyman 32 Replies latest jw friends

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I do not think anything the Wt can do would closely resemble New Jerusalem. Conventions are all about the org, and are moneymakers...thus they continue

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Lisa, do you remember the first drama at Candlestick? We couldn't make out what they were saying due to the echo. We sat in the farthest seats to be in the shade, but when night came we froze our butts off. Remember how the sessions would go into the night and you'd be covered with a blanket? I'll never forget the drama in the center of the field with the lights on. The costumes were pretty cool and we to this day mock the exaggerated motions of thier arms. "It was this way and it was that way". Funny how the good memories are of all the incidental stuff and NOT the spiritual food. W.Once

oooo...I wonder which Drama that was.... I was in a Drama at Candlestick Park. I love the costume and headcovering i got to wear. I can't remember what the drama was about, but I remember running back and forth and waving ours hands, or maybe shaking our fists. I wish my parents still talked to me. I'd post pictures...but they have them all.

lisa

• mouthy
    mouthy

Was the 1958 assembly eight days?

Yes I attended all the 8 days assemblies
    many of them.. "WHAT WAS I THINKING"?

• logic
    logic

I was at the rosebowl. It was the most miserable time of my life. I was probably around 14 or 15 .

I worked the whole time in laundry and getting trays and pots and pans ready for the

dishwasher. Got to see lots of fights. To make the whole thing even more tortuous was

the god awfull loud speaker, which if I had a shotgun at the time I would have blowed the

thing off the post.

There was no miracle that got all those people fed, it was just a lot poor saps like me working their

***** off.

As far as the jws being so polite, that is a crock of crap. I have been to basketball games where the people

were more polite and most of them were drinking.

I am not a real social person so alot of this stuff is probably just me, but I hated the assemblies with

every once of my being. Years ago I made an agreement with my wife, I will stay home and you go. You see

the whole time I was going all I did was complain. My wife now goes with her mom and they don't

have to put up with me. Later on I made the same deal with the meetings etc.

Some jw friends came over the other day . The one 'sister' friend brought up about the talk about the

race to the finish line crap and asked me what I thought about that wonderful information. She shouldn't

have done that. My reply was , you mean the same crap I have heard all my life. I told them what

they allready knew. I quit going to the meetings, assemblies, service and all that. I now feel better

than I have in my life . I have a new found freedom . It is the most liberating thing I have done.

That ended the conversation. But remember folks this is just me, I am not implying that this is true

with everyone.

• mouthy
    mouthy

But remember folks this is just me, I am not implying that this is true

with everyone.

It is for me too

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

its bad enough getting people to go on the Friday let alone take a whole week off work to go!

My dad told me about how by the end of the session they couldn't see the words in the songbook or the bible!

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

I only remember one and that was in the summer of 1969, it was in Vancouver B.C. at Empire stadium in a out door venue and yes the dramas

I thought were pointless since the characters on the stage were so small looking at them from a distance and the sound systems back then was not very good.

There was only half of the seating covered with a over hung roof so when the sun came on your side you sat in the dead summer heat.

Put that together with a poor echoy PA system which was useless unless you sat close to a speaker and you imagine the how crappy

the whole experience was. I think there were two books released at that assembly, The Truth Book and Babylon The Great has Fallen.

The WTS sold allot of books at that assembly, average attendance for each day was @ 60,000 plus.

It sets in my mind not for the actual occasion itself but during one of the days there the information was released that man had actually landed

on the moon. I was 12 years old.........now that was exciting

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Hey Homer,

I remember the 1969 Vancouver, BC assembly. I remember the tent city we stayed at in a farmers field. If memory serves there was an amusement park near the venue that had a simulated helicopter ride (helicopter body on a boom) that made lots of noise during the talks.

Stay alive until 75.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Summer of '69. JW Style.

Vancouver BC with The Almighty Homer!

I was there too.

Did you get to ride the roller coast next door before the JW sister got injured/killed on it? (Stories varied.)

om

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Yes your right there was an amusement park right on the very place the Stadium was located, and yes the roller-coaster was a blast,

not to mention all the other rides, hey I was a kid, do you think I was going to pass up on that stuff.

Guess where my lunch and dinner money went to. Was dam hungry when I got home though

The crowds on the weekend I remember were pretty bad, I found a way to escape the boredom though and that was to go on the rides,

I skipped out one afternoon with my older brother who said he pay for all the rides, so away we went. after a half dozen rides it was time to return

so we headed back to where are father was working in the kitchen area, upon smelling the cooked food I think it got my stomach turning and I barfed

in a garbage bin right next to where my father was working, he quickly came over and asked what was wrong with me , I told in reply that it must have been

something I ate, he said.... well then you better go see your mother, you know where she's sitting , I said YEP !

My father never did find out where my brother and I were that afternoon..........eh eh eh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit