Memories of 8 day conventions

by monkeyman 32 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I remember standing at the long tables to eat a hot lunch. The tables had white tablecloths on the tables and I was too short to reach the table top to eat. This would have been 1964-1968 or so. It was at Candlestick Park in CA.

lisa

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Lisa, do you remember the first drama at Candlestick? We couldn't make out what they were saying due to the echo. We sat in the farthest seats to be in the shade, but when night came we froze our butts off. Remember how the sessions would go into the night and you'd be covered with a blanket? I'll never forget the drama in the center of the field with the lights on. The costumes were pretty cool and we to this day mock the exaggerated motions of thier arms. "It was this way and it was that way". Funny how the good memories are of all the incidental stuff and NOT the spiritual food. W.Once

• designs
    designs

Candelstick Park had some nasty cold winds, but San Francisco's one of the best cities.

• carla
    carla

Do you think jw's would go to those today if they were 5 or 8 days long? considering the economy as well as the sheer thought of sitting through such mind numbing crap for so long.

• designs
    designs

Carla, it was interesting going to the Sunday session of the Convention this past summer. Low energy talks but afterwards the International crowd began doing the Wave, over and over, it went around the Stadium 12 15 times. The camaraderie had a life of its own. People just have the same basic needs.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would hate to be meeting just men for 8 days--three was too many for me.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

8days!!! I'd love it, be like having a taste of the new system (for me anyway). now its only 3 days :( but to be honest 3days still give us so much to take it. 8 days though, why did it change? (sulking)

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I dont know the decades 8 days existed in. Someone else?

• carla
    carla

be like having a taste of the new system (for me anyway)-- if that's what the 'new system' is supposed to be count me out! why would you need conventions anymore in the fictional new system? wouldn't they all be jw's and have all the same thoughts to begin with? only those who are approved by the gov bod (the jw god) would make it anyway.

If that is the 'new system' I truly hope the Big Guy poofs me out of existence. Luckily for me I know where I'm going and it sure isn't anything remotely like the jw unbiblical version.

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

carla thats what i mean, when we are at conventions we are all together loving Jah, its great...and thats what i mean when i say a taste of the new system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit