Why don't JWs fear God or God's Wrath?

by Deputy Dog 74 Replies latest jw friends

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Good ponts DD, or at least the outward manifestation of God's wrath...perhaps a controlling force as well...as angering the org= angering God

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Caedes

I can see why people would fear my God more. He can't be manipulated by an organization.

• carla
    carla

Why don't jw's fear God or God's wrath? -- According to my jw jw's are not 'intentional' sinners so all's well, no need for Christ.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Why don't JWs fear God or God's Wrath?

For the same reason that most Christians do not fear Allah.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

Bingo, IA and DD. The JWs have more fear of the elders and the judicial committees than they do of God. Those judicial committees are their real god. The back room is their hell. The elders can actually punish you in this life - DF you and take your family away. But after this life, Jehovah only makes you go to sleep. What's the big deal there?

Their view really makes no sense if you think about it from the viewpoint of God's perfect justice. In the JW view, you either get rewarded with eternal life in paradise or if you disobey, you just get to sleep for eternity and it never happened. You either get a big reward or a consolation prize. Where's the justice in that?

The JW's do a very effective job of making their god very weak and not worthy of respect.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse
    For the same reason that most Christians do not fear Allah.

Good one, leavingwt. And right on the money.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Fear of gods was the very essence of religion in the ancient world and modern religion tends to define itself very differently (JWs included to an extent). Christianity -- especially in its Pauline and Johannine forms -- has certainly contributed to this shift of emphasis.

Just see how "fear of God" is "translated" in most "reader-friendly" translations: respect, reverence, not fear, terror or dread (as is often implied in the original languages).

That being said, I think your assumption is unfair. Imo the average JW fears his/her version of "God" much more than the average (non-JW) Christian does.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    I can see why people would fear my God more. He can't be manipulated by an organization.

I'm afraid your god is no more to be feared than anyone else's imaginary friend. How evil your imaginary friend is, is dictated by your own imagination and is a reflection of who you are. Your god of vengeance and punishment is appropriate to you and no-one else. You are right however that your imaginary friend cannot be manipulated by an organisation, unless, like the JWs you choose to allow them to do so.

• LongHairGal
  • Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Nark

Imo the average JW fears his/her version of "God" much more than the average (non-JW) Christian does.

Why would you say that? How do you define (non-JW) Christian?

The fear of God drives most Christians that I know, to rest/or shelter in Christ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit