Rainham residents upset about plans for Jah Jireh care home for Jehovah’s Witnesses

by Simon 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• dozy
    dozy

My grandfather lived in a Jah Jireh home for a few years before he died.

We went to see him every couple of months. Generally it was pretty much your typical nursing home except for the fact that virtually all the staff were JWs ( many were pioneers on shifts ) and they had prayers before meals , the residents would gather in a room & the meetings were piped in etc. You tend to find the better connected elderly JWs there - old elders & their wives , Bethelites , COs etc. I've seen better nursing homes and worse.

I met the head at the funeral ( I forget his name). He seemed a decent enough man and said a few words from the platform at the crematorium.

Jah Jireh is a private charity http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1062023&SubsidiaryNumber=0 but many congregations have Jah Jireh reps who inform the brothers & try to get donations. I was approached a couple of times but I declined - I was a little bit uncomfortable with asking for money from the congregation.

I notice the trustee list includes a lot of COs , DOs & ex COs ( eg Bill Bull , Tony Kendall , Ray Popel etc. ) I get the impression that the Bethel have softened from their approach - initially they were very anti the concept.

The planning dispute looks like a typical combination of a nimby objection to a rather greedy overreaching building design. There will be the usual slight modifications to the design and it will be nodded through.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    If you get DF'd, are you forced to move out??
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    How is it a charity? Last when I checked they charged 5+ grand a month to stay there?
  • steve2
    steve2

The emergence of facilities for the elderly at this time is simply a concrete "manifestation" that the long expected end has not happened and that once hale and hearty Witnesses are now aged and could do with some "appropriate" care.

The only point of interest is that this kind of initiative is neither promoted nor funded by the organization. That it appears to accept the reality of this kind of provision sits uncomfortably along side its dogged insistence thst the end is very near.

Of course the organization has greater tolerance for its own kingdom interests building programs.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Good news is that there will be very little traffic. There will be minimal staffing and there will be very few visitors. Whatever is wrong with the way the elderly are treated normally will be exacerbated by the fact that many of these people will shun their relatives and the rest will likely be too busy to bother visiting with them as they further the kingdom work.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    Bill Bull still going then ? i remember him back in the 60's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit