Is it disrespectful to call GOD by his name JEHOVAH?

by foolsparadise 59 Replies latest jw friends

• foolsparadise
    foolsparadise

I have been thinking about this alot recently. Calling our god the creator by his first name Jehovah takes alot of nerve. My 10 year oll son doesnt walk around calling me by my first name. He talks with respect and calls me dad. When Jesus was on the earth he always prayed and announced his god as father not by his first name YHWH. Does any of this make sense or am I just being dumb?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Makes sense to me. My kids don't call me Josie.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Makes perfect sense to me too. I mean the Jews were careful not to say His name in order to sanctify it. It is funny, how today at the assembly, we had a Bethelite speaker say that we should refer to Jehovah as 'Daddy.' Hmmmm.... Sounds like Christendom teaching to me. (Romans 8:14-17)

• smiddy
    smiddy

How can it be disrespectful??Jehovah isn`t his name,nobody knows the true pronunciation.

smiddy

• dissed
    dissed

Daddy???? As he scratches his head.

The creator of the entire universe about to destroy all of mankind, and he wants people to call him Daddy?? That's almost as bad as Daddio!

• garyneal
    garyneal

dissed: That's what the Bethelite speaker said, we should think of Jehovah as our Daddy. I always thought Jehovah's Witnesses kept God at a distance and make Him out to be a God who's ready to kill you at the first opportunity when He sees you do something wrong.

smiddy: Jehovah isn't His name?!?! Why you are committing heresy against WT doctrine by professing the truth about the 'truth.' May Jesus rain fire on you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3Hc2jiB1A

• Chalam
    Chalam

Jesus made the way for us to become sons and daughters of God.

That is why Jesus is the "first born" (nothing to do with Him being chronologically being born first as clearly He was only born 2000 years ago).

Galatians 3
    Sons of God
    26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Romans 8

8 Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

12 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Note, there are only two options here, those who are dead in sin, verse 8 and those who are alive in Christ, are born again and have the Holy Spirit living within them. The "third option" is a WT lie.

The way is simple

John 1

12 Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

Receive Jesus, believe in His name.

All the best,

Stephen

• wobble
    wobble

YHWH is much more than just a name, it means (with possible other meanings) "I will be what I want to be " or "I will cause to happen what I want to happen"

As all things are "Yes " by means of Jesus, all the promises in the O.T and in the N.T, then Jesus is YHWH !

So it is only right that we distinguish God the Father by calling Him something like Heavenly Father.

Jesus is our Eternal Father in a very real sense if we accept Him as the Way the Truth and the Life, as our Redeemer and Saviour, he has given us life.

The WT has sidelined Jesus as usual,they are obviously not christians, no christian could do that.

Calling the Almighty God the Father "Daddy" is disrespectful.

" Abba " the Aramaic expression that Jesus used is more respectful than "Daddy" in it's original meaning and usage, it was not as some claim a word on a par with PaPa or Daddy etc.

I think that for Christians it is right that we use a means of address that is both respectful,and that we are happy with, using language that is natural to us, when praying to God the Father, or God the Son.

Love

wobble

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I don't think it's disprectful to call god by his name, however if you are going to do so - get the pronounciation of it right, and the spelling.

It shows a lack of effort if you constantly mess up a name.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi wobble,

Hope you are well

Personally I do not find when my kids call me "daddy" or "dad" that is disrespectful. I think it implies love.

They need to respect me, that is for sure. However, I haven't found that the solution is for them to call me "sir" or something.

IMHO if you are a son, you can call Dad what you like, anything with love is well received.

What Dad is concerned with is how you treat His son.

Matthew 21

The Parable of the Tenants
    33 "Listen to another parable: There was a landowner who planted a vineyard. He put a wall around it, dug a winepress in it and built a watchtower. Then he rented the vineyard to some farmers and went away on a journey. 34 When the harvest time approached, he sent his servants to the tenants to collect his fruit.

35 "The tenants seized his servants; they beat one, killed another, and stoned a third. 36 Then he sent other servants to them, more than the first time, and the tenants treated them the same way. 37 Last of all, he sent his son to them. 'They will respect my son,' he said.

38 "But when the tenants saw the son, they said to each other, 'This is the heir. Come, let's kill him and take his inheritance.' 39 So they took him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him.

40 "Therefore, when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?"

41 "He will bring those wretches to a wretched end," they replied, "and he will rent the vineyard to other tenants, who will give him his share of the crop at harvest time."

42 Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures:
    " 'The stone the builders rejected
    has become the capstone;
    the Lord has done this,
    and it is marvelous in our eyes'?

43 "Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce its fruit. 44 He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."

As Peter says about Jesus

1 Peter 2

6 For in Scripture it says:
    "See, I lay a stone in Zion,
    a chosen and precious cornerstone,
    and the one who trusts in him
    will never be put to shame." 7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,
    "The stone the builders rejected
    has become the capstone," 8 and,
    "A stone that causes men to stumble
    and a rock that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.

All the best, Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit