Hubby is Researching 607...

by cognac 183 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

The first issue I researched was 607.

When I was a witness I sounded a lot like Scholar and in fact it was his posts (with others) that allowed me to see my own stupidity in a mirror.

I've said this before, but thank you Scholar. If it wasn't for you and others like you I may have never gotten free.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

AnnOMaly...He says, "if you are not an expert in a field, you are likely to commit errors". I have a copy of his book somewhere in my house but I wasn't able to locate it, what does he say after this? I am curious because the first thing anyone like him would do is have an expert in the field check his work prior to publication. Does Furuli say that his measurements and calculations were proof-read by a professional archaeo-astronomer, and if so, does he name who reviewed his work?

I am curious if he went ahead and published such novel work professionally without consulting assistance on checking his methodology and results.

• TD
    TD
    I am curious if he went ahead and published such novel work professionally without consulting assistance on checking his methodology and results.

I wonder too. I think the claim that a mountain range east of Babylon would have interfered with astronomical observations taken from Babylon would have been caught and corrected by a professional.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Is Furuli trained professionally in the field of astronomy and the use of astro-programs? ..AnnOmaly

My disadvantage is that I am neither a professional archaeo-astronomer nor a historian.

Moreover, as any professional knows, if you are not an expert in a field, you are likely to commit errors." ..Furuli the Horrible

It`s all good..

Furuli checked with Scholar..

Scholar checked with the Guy that drives an Ice-Cream Truck..

As long as Scholar buys Ice-Cream..

The Ice-Cream Dude will tell Scholar anything he wants to hear..

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Leolaia, the quote on p. 14 goes on,

"I therefore look forward to constructive criticisms and suggestions by competent scholars. 5 My angle of approach, however, has been basically linguistical. Because I do not challenge the conclusions regarding dating that the archaeo-astronomers draw, on the basis of the astronomic tablets, only criticizing some of their applications, the need for a firsthand astronomical knowledge on my part, is greatly reduced.

5 Particularly am I interested to be informed about tablets where collation indicate errors in the published transliterations or transcriptions."

That is how it stood for Vol. I. And he didn't examine the astronomical texts' celestial positions in that volume.

However, in Vol. II he acknowledges "Dr. Kaare Aksnes" who "has at my request made some calculations regarding the positions of the moon in the sixth century B.C.E. and answered several astronomical questions." (p. 14, 2nd ed.) When examining VAT 4956, after talking about the astro-programs he'd been using, he says on p. 300 (2nd ed.),

"In addition, at my request, Kaare Aksnes, professor of astrophysics, made a few calculations and answered several of my questions. 310

310 Professor Aksnes is not responsible for any errors in my calculations."

Also on p. 319 (2nd ed.), Furuli adds a section called 'Technical problems' where he recognizes that there can be small differences in given positions between programs due to the slight variations in the mathematical formulae used in them. He continues:

"I have used TheSky6 because it was recommended by a professional astronomer. Moreover, Kaare Aksnes, who is professor of astrophysics and an expert on celestial motion, calculated at my request the distance between the moon and Zavijava on 9 July and 10 July 588 (8 and 9 Nisanu), and his positions are almost identical with TheSky6 positions and different from the positions of SkyMap Lite and CyberSky4."

What I get from these references (and I can't find any more) is that while the professor was consulted for certain calculations, he doesn't seem to have been involved in proof-reading and checking Furuli's results (as the footnote on p.300 suggests). The ones who were named as involved with the proof-reading are not linked to any professional field. One of them is Dan-Ake Mattson.

BTW, there's a short bio on Prof. Aksnes on Wiki.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I wonder too. I think the claim that a mountain range east of Babylon would have interfered with astronomical observations taken from Babylon would have been caught and corrected by a professional.

TD, if a professional had been checking his work, I really believe he'd still be there now, jotting down needed corrections. I know that sounds harsh, but if an amateur like me (I'm not pretending, Neil - I'm the genuine article! ) can pick up so much, can you imagine what a pro would see?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaare_Aksnes

Sounds like he might be a good person to query regarding a few of Furuli's observations.

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

Post 13682

Furuli by his own published admission is not an expert in ancient astroonomy.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

AnnOMaly

Post 1133

My upinion of your expertise or lack thereof is based on the simple fact that you will not deal directly with Furuli about your criticisms of his thesis. This means that your opinion lacks credibility. Your reluctance to participate constitute 'facts' as far as I am concerned.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

Post 13684

Furuli has submitted both volumes for peer review. He has received a favourable and a unfavorable review to his first volume and is awaiting a review for his second volume which is some two years in process.

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit