What Things Were YOU Counseled For?

by minimus 77 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

donuthole

We played Led Zepp over the PA at out KH. It was awsome!

Two of us yg bros showed up to clean the KH, nobody else came. The Elders had told us once before, non KH music was ok if no one objected. (knowing someone always would)

So we popped in the cassette and kicked up the volume to stairway to heaven.

During the music a MS came in from another congregation and 'counseled' us for the music. He liked it, but it was more like, 'if you get caught' type statement.

"There's a lady who's sure, all that glitters is gold and she buying her stairway to heaven"

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

We had a sister who had a nice figure and wore tight clothing to meetings. It drove one high profile elder nuts. All kinds of "local needs" talks on dress and grooming.

The high profile "elders" would always chicken out and assign newbie elders to go counsel her and her husband. The thing I regret is that I didn’t refuse the assignment and tell the elder with the problem to go do it himself.

(Or as ATJ would say “f%$#k off” )

• readyornot
    readyornot

Most of the counsel would come by way of talks. I remember rolling my eyes on many occasions thinking..."Guess who this one's for?" Personally, I was cornered for: listening to Micheal Jackson, using hair product, too tight clothing and having a single brother in my apartment.

I was long gone by the time the latter rolled around and can't believe they expected me to show up for the JC. I can just imagine the questions they would have asked... sick, demented pervs!

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

Snowbird.......................................... That was during the 80's when the KH was run by power trippers.

And who's running it now?

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I was never counseled cause no one gave a fuck about me.

• Frank75
    Frank75

What did you get counseled for???

I always seem to come late to these threads. However the only time I ever received "counsel" it never actually happened!

I was deleted as a MS back in 1998 and the elders couldn't specify exactly why, they just said they felt I no longer qualified, respect the conscience of the body was what I was told by the CO (he was the real reason for it). There is more to what happened as I contacted the Society, but they don't usually get too involved with MS issues.

Anyway years later I had occasion to see the letter of introduction that was sent when we moved congregations and it had the S206 form for deletions attached to it. This form gave the reason for my deletion:

S-206 supplemental

“Over the past 2 years Br Blank has been strongly counseled regarding his undermining trust in the elder arrangement, his greeting disfellowshipped ones and his rejection of counsel by the elders and the circuit overseer. Counsel shared w/80 5/15 pg 6 “Why be in subjection”, Heb 13:17, Km 3/97 regarding disfellowshipped ones, etc.”

“He has become increasing defiant and critical, spreading his dissenting ideas throughout the congregation(s) ...Several attempts were made to discuss the pending deletion announcement with him. It was not until the week of June 21 that he would allow this discussion. When he was also informed of the elders decision to recommend his deletion as a regular pioneer, he challenged the validity of this decision and refused to return the S-202 assigned to him. It was made known to him that he may send a letter explaining why he feels that this action is unjustified.”

When I finally saw it I was amazed that a congregation would allow such a person to remain a MS for 2 years if he was causing so many problems. Perhaps it shows how exceedingly patient and kind they were in their efforts to adjust me. The odd (or not so odd in a dysfunctional group like JW's) was that I was never given any counsel nor did anyone meet with me or quote articles, scriptures or anything.

I was told Monday night of CO's visit that I was deleted, and I asked about the instruction talk I was assigned the next night. I was to still give it was the answer.

My "challenge to the validity" was merely the question "Why?" I asked to know the specifics so I could work to correct my error/mistake/weakness. The only answer I was ever given even after contacting Service Desk was to review the qualifications of elders/MS. "it is all in there" I was told.

I honestly had no problem with being deleted, I only objected to not being told why.

Even though S206 says I was to be deleted as a pioneer too, I actually continued to be one. I guess I was still considered a good recruiter......

Frank75

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I was told to just meet other men at a$$emblies.

I was hounded to dry clean my suits every week (and I was only doing about 20 hours a month in field circus), despite that it was bad for the environment and hastened suit wear (and wasted money).

I was told to wear white dress shirts, proper dress shoes, and to have the collar button done up all the time while out in field circus (regardless of how hot and muggy it was out that day).

They hounded me to get out in field circus on September 3 one year--I had a pattern of going out weekdays, and that was a Monday. They worried that I would not be doing anything that month (I wish I would have told them that, if they are worried about that so early in the month, I would give them something to worry about).

• minimus
    minimus

Frank, how would you get that specific correspondence? Did you later become an elder and then saw the file?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit