What Things Were YOU Counseled For?

by minimus 77 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Elders LOVE to counsel people. It feeds their ego. Over the years, you must've been counseled on different things.

When I was almost of age to become a MS, an elder counseled me for my "lack of seriousness". I have always been known to have a good personality and quick wit but it was suggested that I come across as a lot more "serious" so as to "qualify" as a MS. This I did until everyone in the Hall took notice of my sudden seriousness and the elder had to come back to me to tell me to be more like I formerly was but not as much.

What did you get counseled for???

• snowbird
    snowbird

I was counseled for wearing Dr. Scholl sandals to the night meetings.

I bought four pairs (red, navy, tan, white) because I worked on my feet all day, and they hurt!

I have nice legs, and I think that particular elder thought I was flaunting them.

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover

Grooming mostly.

I'd let my hair grow as long as I thought I could get away with. I hated shaving, so between meetings and service I'd try to grow a goatee or beard. I had a mustache and was always trying to go 'fu manchu' with it. I got counseled on clothes even. Evidently the elders were not fond of the Don Johnson Miami Vice look...

Music was another area that got scrutinized. Even though I didn't flaunt my tastes, it became known what my tastes were and how they were not acceptable.

Association with sisters without an unapproved chaperone caused some problems.

The silliest was being counseld for spiritism. Yep...seems that some stupid parlor game we were playing was inviting demons into our homes and the elders were concerned. No, it wasn't a ouija board or anything. It was a simple game that I don't remember the name of or the details, but a couple of people read more into it than necessary and complained to the elders.

• minimus
    minimus

I never connected wearing Dr. Scholl's sandals with having nice legs.

Anything that could be understood as demonism is demonism to the elders and they know better!

• villabolo
    villabolo

I was counseled for watching Dawn of the Dead. One of the reasons an elder gave me for not watching it was that those dead zombies were played by live actors.

villabolo

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

As a teenager, I once wore an ankle bracelet to the meeting and was immediately rushed into the back room and told it was a big NO-NO, as only Israelites prostitutes wore them..................

• minimus
    minimus

Yup, Zombie movies are a no-no.

Anklets were ho bracelets and wedding bands are pagan fine.

• snowbird
    snowbird

That particular elder mentioned in a "special needs talk" that some sisters like to show off their nice legs, pedicure, ankle bracelets, by wearing certain styles of sandals.

I knew he was talking about me.

He then said that nylon stockings and dress shoes were the only appropriate attire when appearing at Jehovah's table.

Sylvia

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

Counseled for not keeping my Christian wife in proper submission.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Sylvia said:

That particular elder mentioned in a "special needs talk" that some sisters like to show off their nice legs, pedicure, ankle bracelets, by wearing certain styles of sandals.

I knew he was talking about me.

He then said that nylon stockings and dress shoes were the only appropriate attire when appearing at Jehovah's table.

-------

You should have shown up in only those two items the next meeting. ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit