What Things Were YOU Counseled For?

by minimus 77 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Skeeter, good 4 u!

• garyneal
    garyneal
    They threatened that "it will be announced." And I said, "ok, go ahead."

I agree, good for you. Once they no longer have that 'power' over you, they do not know what to do with themselves.

• minimus
    minimus

Really, the only control they have over you is what you give them.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was counseled for a multitude of heinous crimes such as having a moustache, wearing bright ties, being overweight, joining a gym to lose weight, being in debt, working extra hours to pay off my debt, being poor, being materialistic, going to school to retrain after suffering several injuries, biting my fingernails, not having my wife in subjection, having an old car, having no car after I got rid of the old car, having a 2 seater van, wearing tinted glasses, standing at the back of the hall when I had a bad back, having red eyes, and probably a hundred other things I can't be bothered remembering right now.

At first I couldn't figure out why I was counseled so much for things that had nothing to do with the bible or Christian living. Much of the counsel was contradictory. Eventually it dawned on me that these men were jealous. Not because of money or position, but because I, through hardship, have learned how to take bad situations and turn them into something positive. Because, in the long run, I almost always get what I want. (usually through sheer stubbornness)

W

• minimus
    minimus

FF, I just don't think those elders loved you, man.

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

1. I should never defend going to college, as it was "defending the indefensable"

The gobshite that said this to me was wanting to move up the chain in the body of elders - cocky piece of work , was doing the nasty with the woman his wife worked for.

The wife initially kicked him out, the guy lost his "position" but was repentent. He went through a real depression, came out the other side a hell of a lot more humble and despite his infidelity, likable guy (who's wife forgave him and they are happier than I have ever known them - you can tell the way they are when they think no one is watching). I heard the other week when i back in my home city that he just started........AT COLLEGE. :D

2. I've mentioned it before on here, but i was counselled against using too many worldly quotes in my talks - if i must quote, i should find quotes from faithful people through the WT and awake. To date I have used Mother Theresa, Ghandi, woody allen, Martin Luther, JFK and Frasier crane :D

As the PO's son, when I was growing up i was able to avoid most "counsel"

• minimus
    minimus

Counseled for quoting Frasier?? Oh my!

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

1. While in a car packed with 8 people, a single brother gave me a peck on the lips. Someone turned me in and I was counseled for kissing someone while I was not either engaged or married to them.

2. Walking into the Worlds Fair in Spokane Washington, I was accosted by a clown. I started teasing back. I was hauled in and counseld for "flirting" with a worldly person.

3. Numerous times for my dress infractions (I was quite a dish, once, and thats always a problem).

4. Numerous times for associating with my best friend. We were individually told that we were bad for each other because when we got together we egged each other on.

Someone was always turning me in for something, I can't begin to tell you the countless times I stumbled someone and got dragged before them in my teenage years.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

My hair was too long. Imagine that!

• garyneal
    garyneal

You know come to think of it, my wife would always refrain from kissing me while we were in the Kingdom Hall. I never understood why? I mean a peck on the lips is hardly 'making out' or anything like that and one would think that some small affection between married people would be welcome (sign of a healthy marraige in my opinion).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit