To all the newbies: How I've have adapted to life outside the Org

by tooktheredpill 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Took the pill, thank you for all of your insights, my husband and I can pretty much ditto what you said. Our quality of life has improved dramatically. Like you said, just with the simple things like leisurely cooking breakfast on the weekend, watching the kids play a sport and working hard on your career have just been invaluable to us. We too just disappeared and we didn't get divorced, kids aren't on drugs or anything out of the ordinary. Jw's just can't figure us out and I like it that way! I hope you continue to enjoy the good life. NMKA

• NobodysWitness
    NobodysWitness

TTRP thanks for the right words to calm the X soul

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and welcome, Nobody'sWitness!

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Good to hear an experience of someone coming out of religious entrapment and slavery.

Yes there certainly is good and purposeful life out the WT kingdom, you just have look for it and grab it.

You may just come across something a little more wholesome and honest.

• freewilly01
    freewilly01

Being FREE is such a huge turn on! It is worth all the hassles and misery to be free from the Borg! Never having to ever prepare and give a manipulative controlling talk and feel pressured for any crazy reason is the absolute BEST! Not feeling as your a Robotic follower, and now that U are just normal, and happy and have the balls to stand up for yourself is amazying.

Life now is worth living, the dread, and the depression of never meeting your own or their expectations is gone forever Whew!

Its a balsy , strong, miracle to be another one to leave and never look back ever!

We should all give ourselves a huge pat on the back and be looking for ways to reward ourselves in this life for what we have had to put up with during our lives..........................Slap Slap!!!!

Its a modern day miracle to be among those who have left for sure.

• the real life
    the real life

Finding My Way -

I had a similar experience when I finally realized that I just didn't want to be a JW. When I actually said that out loud, I started crying it was such a relief. I learned over time that I wasn't a bad person with a wicked heart for refusing to let someone else think for me. On the contrary, it was the first step in becoming a more sincere, thoughtful person. I love the freedom, but also the humility that comes from not having all the answers.

Love and peace to everyone on the same journey !

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I've discovered the same. People I used to label as "worldly" or "part of Babylon the Great" have showed me more Christian kindness and love than many Witnesses did. I was associated for over 30 years. Recently, we lost our business of 15 years, and our house went to foreclosure.

My MIL, a non Witness, took us in, even though her circumstances are far from easy, she has terminal cancer and a husband who is 92 with late stage dementia. A friend of mine, a long time email correspondent who is not a Witness loaned us one thousand dollars to help out, as my husband was ill for over a month and has still not found work here. Non JW friends and neighbors brought us food, canned bushels of food for us, and have been there with emotional support.

You might ask were all my former JW friends were during this? Well, not helping us out, that's for sure, criticizing us because we were in emotional turmoil over our situation and not attending meetings and preaching.

A real eye opener for us, but we've had our doubts about this whole thing for years because of the obnoxious and self righteous way we've been treated over the years by most JWs. A few are decent, loving people by their very nature, but anymore, I think it's in spite of their religion, not because of it.

I've never really bought some of the JW teachings for years, but put up with it because I don't believe any religion has it all right, because I thought the people were unusually kind and decent. Well, I've had to change my mind about that, and so my incentive for being part of it went right out the window.

I still have faith in the teachings and promises of Christ, and it's more sustaining to me now than anything I've experienced as a Witness. I don't go to church, but I listen, read and share Christ's love with anyone who wants to share it now. And not by obnoxiously preaching AT them! LOL So done with that!

I'm also ecumenical now, and realize not everyone conceives of or can worship the Divine aspect of the universe in the same way, we're all too different for that. For me, Christ is the most evolved expression of love and joy from that source, but I realize for others, there are other expressions of the Divine that they find more joy in.But, I practice a form of Buddhist meditation along with prayer, and I also participate in some Pagan rituals that make me feel connected to everything, so it's all good. Christ is not the JEALOUS God of the OT! I think that god had an anger management problem and some major insecurity issues. LOL

• kriptonian7
    kriptonian7

i too was born "in the truth" and my family mostly is still active. I chose to separate my slef from them when i was finally out on my own at around 18 yrs old. (34 now) i over the years have attended memorials to keep the peace with my family and a meeting here or there. It helps that they all go to different Kingdom halls because that way the brothers dont actively seek you out when they dont see you. they all just think you go to another congregation. I mainly do it for my grandmother that has been a witness all her 76 years on this planet and is from the old school JW. She still ususes only the King james version of the bible. She said she used it in service so people couldnt argue her points when she used their version of the bible...lol...

i left under stressful circumstances that lead me in other directions when it came to faith and God. i retain some of my teachings i guess, but I now feel more free of mind after all these years to question and to make more educated desicions on what i should beleive or not beleive. I got drug to an Assembly and I noticed somethign that I never thought of before and actually saw someone here post. When they have poeple talking about their experiences and how they strayed, they usually because druggies or hookers or something ridiculous, but now they are back and happy and safe in the JW Borg Collective.i was thinking, wow, i left when i was 18, and the worse thing i have ever done is get some non moving violation tickets and drink the occasional 12 pack with friends at a BBQ...no hooking or herion here.

I for a long time was literally fearful of questioning topics or ideas, or stories that I have leanred over the years. But now my mind feels so clear and open. A free mind is what God wanted us to have right? My constrict it with man thinks it should be filled with. i am sorry i can read the bilbe and make my own conclusions. I do not need the same regurgitated info over and over.

I really enjoyed your post and it helped me realize that my desicions were right for me...thank you. Reading thru your post I realized that I bet you were a great Elder. understanding and able to actually help people when they needed it. i got that out of your "tone" even in type.

thank you again

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

BTT

Daringhart13 and all the newbies:

I started this topic about 5 months ago, and as I see more people that used to have "privileges", I think it will help some of you.

Don't hesitate to send me a PM if you need to vent!!

Have a great day!

TTRP

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

BTT

Hello all!

Today I noticed that I've been a member since 10/10/07. Time flies certainly! Transitioned from Elder to MIA in the past 3 years...

I think I have become an ex-ex-JW. :) I feel like an adult, normal person now. I enjoy every day!

I'm bumping this thread because I think it will be helpful to newbies. There is a life outside the Organization!

Have a great day!

TTRP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit