Obama Chia Pets--Racially Insensitive?

by VIII 16 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

The Chia Pet grows *hair* that on the Obama version looked like an Afro. When Walgreens dropped it, it was due to complaints that it was racially insensitive. Do you think so? Aftos are normal, are they not? As pointed out in the article, he did have one when younger, so what is the issue?

Here is the link to an image:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/features/mutts/blog/2009/04/obama_chia_pet.html

I was going to purchase one actually. I figured somewhere down the line, someone would buy it from me on Ebay. I missed my opportunity, darn it.

CVS drops Obama Chia pets

Walgreens stopped selling the terra cotta heads in April

Daarel Burnett II

October 8, 2009

CVS/Pharmacy said this week that it won't be selling the popular Chia pets depicting President Barack Obama anymore, becoming the second major franchise to drop the product.

Joe Pedott, the owner of the Chia franchise, said he's baffled by the drugstore chain's decision.

Walgreens removed the terra cotta heads in April after some complained that the product was racially insensitive. The issue made the round of blogs, talk radio and TV over the summer.

Walgreens' decision cost him millions of dollars, Pedott said. Nevertheless, the product's popularity has consistently grown -- especially after the controversy, he said.
    "I can't think of any reason a store like CVS would want to stop selling it," he said Wednesday.

A CVS spokesman wouldn't give a specific reason for pulling the product. Pedott said his idea for the product was inspired by consumer demand. He said he has not received any complaints from African-Americans and even touts a picture of him handing the product to Obama in May.

"If the consumer wants it, what's the problem?" he said. "You're giving him an Afro. If you don't want it, cut it off. He had an Afro when he was younger."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-talk-cvs-chia-obama-08-oct08,0,4257635.story

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Taking it off the market is "racially insensitive". Do you really think Mr. Obama would give a rats ass? It's just a bit of fun people.

• milola
    milola

I think its rediculous. I think they had a Bill Clinton once also. He also sported an Afro because that is the only way that stuff grows. Gosh I wish people would get a life.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Wasn't there a Bush Chia pet?

• Farkel
    Farkel

Nowadays, not bowing down to the ground and kissing Obama's ring is considered "racially insensitive."

Farkel

• VIII
    VIII

I think the GWB Chia was a parody. They had the whole thing grow *hair* and his face was green.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My boyfriend actually went out hunting for one of these things yesterday to give as a "joke gift" at a closing dinner. I guess this explains why he failed to find them.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I never met anyone who ever admitted to owning a Chia pet.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Acknowledging someone has curly hair is insensitive?

rac⋅ism

    / 're?s?z?m / Show Spelled Pronunciation [ rey -siz- uh m ] Show IPA

Use racism in a Sentence See web results for racism See images of racism

–noun

1.a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2.a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3.hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
  • kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Wasn't there a Bush Chia pet?

No. During product development it was noted that the hole in it would not permit it to retain enough water to sustain the chia seeds for sprouting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit