Contribution of Franz books on your decision to leave?

by Damocles 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• villabolo
    villabolo

I read Crisis of Conscience several years after my disfellowshipping. I never had any intentions of returning and I no longer believed the JWs teachings but I was curious to learn more about them. What I read only confirmed a saying of mine: No matter how bad you think things are they are always worse than you imagined. Every thing I have read so far only confirms the evil of the organization.

villabolo

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I think the Steve Hassan book (COMBATTING) was more important to me than the Ray Franz books. Doctrine was important to me, and Ray showed me how WT doctrine was flawed, but the Cult books I read showed me that WTS was just another dangerous cult- not anything like a true religion with a few major flaws.

I agree.

You realize from Hassan's book, that WT is a destructive mind control cult -- no matter what the Bible says. (Ironically, of course, honest JW apologists will admit that the Bible outlines a destructive mind control organization as a blueprint for God's true organization, in their view.)

Then, Ray's book nicely gives a historical and Biblical perspective on the overwhelming WT flaws and deceptions.

These two books are a slam dunk.

• blondie
    blondie

I had already stopped going but reading his books confirmed what I knew from an authoritative source. It made sure I did not go back like I had twice before.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I didn't know of their existence until less than a year ago. I left the JW's 11 years ago. So no impact on me whatsoever, but CoC was still a great read.

• misguided
    misguided

It was the key book to freeing me. I cried when I realized what I was reading was the truth and the "truth" was a lie.

• BathroomServant1
    BathroomServant1

I read CoC a few months ago which really confirmed a lot of feelings I had been having already, but also opened my eyes to some things I hadn't thought of. I just received (today actually, no lie) ISoCF and can't wait to read it. Seems a little heavier than the first book, but I'm all into it.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

No effect at all; 607 + the UN NGO affiliation were it for me. I did read it much later and it certainly clarified alot for me but no influence on the actual decision to leave.

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

I had already gotten out before readind CoC and it confirmed alot of my concerns/ suspicions about the org and teachings. Combatting by Hassan amazed me at how much mind control was going on. I would listen to new teachings of announcements at the KH and see the propaganda and the agenda they were trying to push, but I had no idea that they were following 1950's Chinese mind control tactics.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I was too afraid to read anything from an apostate so only did independent research to determined it was not the truth. I read COC after I was virtually out, but found it enlightening to find that out more about the operational structure. It made me confident that I had made the right decision, and I wish I had read it 10 years earlier.

My old CO told me the book mentioned the following.

Ray was extremely bitter that he wasn't chosen as WTS President and was seeking revenge.

Ray was trying to start a new religion where he taught Hell Fire, the Trinity, to name a few.

He condoned immorality, everyone could do as they wished and no DF'd.

Dissed that is a very interesting comment, since Ray does not believe the Trinity, hell fire or condone immorality. He very much holds to many Watchtower teachings but is against the hypocritical hierarchy. I had a similar experience with an elder. Whilst I was in Bethel I started to question the Bible, and particularly disagreed with the Watchtower answer to why God permits wickedness and the Sovereignty Issue. An elder said that I must have been reading COC, which I had not. He obviously had no idea what is in COC, as Ray does not question the Bible at all. It is just the standard JW answer; if you have any doubts you must have been affected by apostates.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I never considered him when I left. I have yet to read his books and I look forward to doing so

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit