• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Chris,

"Because" from 'Love' is remarkable.

-LWT

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Really? Okay I'll check it out.

I've listened to the remastered "Across the Universe" and it's fantastic. Totally different and the sound is so sharp.

Chris

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Have you listened to 'Love'?

I bought it for my mom (she was the big Beatles fan back in the day, if you recall from the previous Beatles thread on this site), and it was interesting. I understand it was for the Vegas show but just for listening purposes the medley style was kind of distracting. The version of "I Am the Walrus" was most interesting to me because, as you may know, the original release was in fake stereo in the second half whereas the "Love" version is stereo all the way through. But while I love how the verse after the "English garden" section sounds in true stereo, the coda sounds much less epic than the original mono/fake stereo (the Lear samples, the nonsense chanting, and the strings are mixed way too low to make much of an impression, and the panning created by the fake stereo is a nice effect missing) and it is wholly spoiled by the segue into the next track. The coda of "Walrus" is one of my favorite pieces of music because I love how well the descending bass line complements the ascending strings -- that is what gives it a real epic, expansive feel (especially that chord at 4:19). And this effect is completely lost in the segue noise in the "Love" version. So I wonder if the remaster version may bring out the details of this part better.

I have tried my hand at goosing up the original fake stereo version with the Lear samples by making them more prominent in the mix (as I have the original Lear broadcast), but I haven't yet synched them well enough for it to work perfectly.

I like the different sound to "Strawberry Fields Forever"....and for a synesthete like me, it is interesting to hear the songs in rather different shades.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I visited Abbey Road in '97. What was hilarious was that the wall outside the studios was covered with anti-Oasis graffiti. I snapped a few photos.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Not forgetting the "John we love you" and all that.

There are layers of the stuff on that wall, they paint is afresh quite regularly.

There is usually someone lingering on the crossing but this takes the biscuit!

Abbey Road 40th Anniversary - London

All the best,

Stephen

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Well, shoot, I might as well come clean.

Disclosure: I named by son John.

If you're religious, you may assume it's a Christian thing.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Did you call his second name Winston?!

John Lennon

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Did you call his second name Winston?

Let's not get carried away!

• glenster
  • lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

A few more highlights for me and my John story:

On the "Past Masters" disc 2 - Rain, Paperback Writer, and Revolution were the big highlights for me - I thought the remasters were amazing.

Magical Mystery Tour - I always felt that was John at his creative peak in that late 1966 - 1967 time period since Strawberry Fields Forever and I am the Walrus are 2 of my all time favorites, and John put out quite a few masterpieces around that time. Those songs sound so freaking awesome remastered. I remember that was my first vinyl album when I was around 6 years old. I was disappointed since my friend told me there was a book that came with it - no book in the edition I got :o) Fortunately, they put it all in the new CD remasters :o)

My coolest John experience was going to Strawberry Fields in Central Park - it was Fall in NYC, and it was a beautiful day. There were tons of people from all over the world there playing guitars, singing Beatles/Lennon tunes. putting flowers down, etc. The Dakota is right in the background, so it was a bit strange, but it was more of a celebratory feel than anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit