More Beatles Remasters..........

by lepermessiah 42 Replies latest social entertainment

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was thinking of picking it up but was concerned about the horrible overcompressed mixing that is typical now of "remasters".

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Leo,

Have you listened to 'Love'?

I didn't have any objections to what I heard.

-LWT

• watson
    watson

Stereo here. "Dear Prudence," fantastic! "Glass Onion," amazing. What an incredible voice. Suggestion: Bose headphones.

• knows better
    knows better

funny you mention "prudence" that song and "julia" are my favorites due to their honestly and feeling. If you have not heard "julia" on the anth. 3 CD, last song i think. it was an outtake, but it was just brilliant. brings a tears to your eyes. as for the remasters, those song are so simple i dont feel remastering was noticeable, but still appreiated. just great

• undercover
    undercover
    Are you guys listening to the mono or the stereo mixes?

See...there's another dilemna...get it in stereo or mono. The original mixes were meant to be listened in mono, but were then re-done in stereo later. So do you get mono, as it was meant to be listened to, or do you get stereo, which has it's own distinct sound (plus we all grew up with the cross channel sounds on most of their stuff)?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    See...there's another dilemna...get it in stereo or mono. The original mixes were meant to be listened in mono, but were then re-done in stereo later. So do you get mono, as it was meant to be listened to, or do you get stereo, which has it's own distinct sound (plus we all grew up with the cross channel sounds on most of their stuff)?

Just my opinion...

The mono mixes are for the purists.

Even still, these folks will buy and LISTEN to the stereo recordings (while proclaiming their love for mono).

-LWT

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I thought the remixes were from the original mono tapes. Or did I misunderstand?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I thought the remixes were from the original mono tapes. Or did I misunderstand?

This is correct, but it's not exactly related to what we're talking about.

You can buy Mono and Stereo remastered CDs. All of the CDs released up until now have been in Stereo. (Except for Live at the BBC and a few Anthology tracks, if my memory serves.)

The recordings were mono (as many still are), but they're mixed into whatever stereo arrangement seen fit.

Or, maybe I've misunderstood.

• undercover
    undercover

If I remember correctly...(old age sux)

The songs were originally mono... meant for radio play, transistor radios being the thing of the day (that's why Phil Spector's "wall of sound" was so popular...it made songs feel bigger, but I digress).

The earliest Beatle albums were in mono, later albums were in stereo though mixed from the mono tapes. When the origimal CDs were released they were copies of the stereo mixes from the original mono, but not re-mastered.

The new re-masters are just that...re-mastered from the original 4 (?) track recordings. They're released in both the original mono mix and in a new, improved stereo mix.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Undercover,

Your description matched my understanding.

-LWT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit