Everything About Being An Elder is Weird (my misc rambling memories of being an elder)

by AllTimeJeff 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dinah
    dinah

ATJeff, I finally looked up your post detailing your history. Just wow. I'm happy you are free now, but I understand how much you lost (with your brother). Thanks for sharing, and I'm sorry it took me two years to read it!

It's true once you see through the religion, you just can't stay. It should also be a telling thing that we have so many here who were at Bethel, Gilead, etc., saw the ugly side and left.

Russell and Rutherford being Elijah and Elisha got by me. Or maybe it's just been so long Ive have forgotten.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

A fascinating insight into life as an elder - thanks for sharing ATJ, you always tell it well.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Great insight ATJ. I was appointed an elder about 6 months after I decided this was not the truth and I wanted out. So my elder years were not anything like you describe.

I made it a point to walk to the other side of the hall when I noticed 2 or 3 elders talking serious in a corner. I was working on autopilot with my duties and hated every minute of my life as an elder.

I was trying to maintain my sanity. I figured that the only positive thing I could do was to shake everyone's hand at every meeting and say a non-judgmental hello.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I had much the same situation - I was assistant cong. servant already when the elder deal came about, so I was grandfathered in at about the same age as ATJ.

What he says about it is absolutely right on. There was always much politics and BS. This was especially true when they were still doing the "rotation of elders" and everybody was maneuvering around to get to be overseer for a year...pathetic, really.

There was very little about actual practical assistance to the people in the congregation. Much ado about getting everybody out into service, etc.

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

Oh wow!!! Geez everyday is like... making me more and more addicted in coming to this site. I just came across this post of yours ATJ!

I have tons to say on that... (before I got DF I had this guy I really liked and he really liked me... but he sounded just like you did, such a (grrr... can't think of a mean word to descibe it) guy, well he's a ministerial servant now at the age of 18... but with his congregation needing elders I'm sure that's coming around the corner... he just got married too. (I of coarse though he was way to young... geez I was 4 years older then him!) Everything that is done in the Organization is rushed...

Still have tons to say... but yay you left and help ppl like me... your a great person and you defiantly learned from the past. Thanks for comments and this posts.

• Hiding Questioner
    Hiding Questioner

"ATJeff, I finally looked up your post detailing your history."

Sorry, but I don't know how to see this and I'd like to see ATJeff's history also. How do I find this?

Thanks!

HQ

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Hiding Questioner:

Click on his name and then on Topics Started by him.

ATJ's are worth a read.

Have fun!

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

AllTimeJeff's Story

I need to re-write it, because I was a little pissed at the time I wrote it, but maybe I should just let it stand for posterity. It's a nice polaroid of where I was...

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Thanks for all the kind words. I sometimes feel funny writing all this.... To be an elder is to see the devil in this cult, and I do not exaggerate that...

Dinah, thanks for your kind words about my brother. He is at peace, and I draw comfort from that. :)

• Joshnaz
    Joshnaz

WOW!

You are absolutely amazing!!! I never made it to and Elder. Not even a MS but I can imagine from your story what it would be like if I did. I read every word with a "dropped jaw." I really have deep respect for you. I can only imagine how strong you are to break free from the Borg after being in it sooo deep. When I read your theads from now on, I'll remember how you overcame such a tremendous mountain. I'm at a loss of words from here on. CONGRADULATIONS! No wonder you are ALL TIME JEFF!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit