I Don't Have to Be "RIGHT" Anymore.

by OnTheWayOut 28 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

OTWO,

I have found, repeatedly so, that the "need to be right" spills over into every aspect of a JWs life. If they are doing something incorrectly in their work, they will not accept correction no matter how delicately it is presented. You can show documented and proven why the correct procedure should be used. They will still do things their own way.

I can't help but wonder...is it because the WT breeds a certain kind of stiff necked arrogance among them that they cannot be wrong about anything? Or is it a personality flaw that JWs are born with naturally?

It is an enigma to me, but I see the pattern repeated in the few JWs that I know.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

I think because they believe they have the truth, thats it...final...end of story. They truly in their heart of hearts think they are hand picked, so of course noone else can be correct about anything. It's not something they're born with, otherwise everyone in the world would have this degree of arrogance (some would say passion) in everything they did. But because Jw's believe they have 'the truth', it places them above everyone else. I think the degree of arrogance/passion they exude is learnt.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

What about religions, do they have to be right before we will go to them? Do they have to be 100 % right? If that is the case no one would go to church. Should the JW's be aloud to have their religion without being challanged ?

But I feel as you do, I no longer feel the need to be "right". If someone wants to believe a certain way..so be it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, it seems that many of you needed this thread as much as I did. Wonderful comments from all. I just hope that many who still feel the need to be "right" after leaving the JW's start to recognize this problem within themselves.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

There is no Invisible Pink Unicorn and you are a moron for suggesting there is.

He is purple.

Great post OTWO. I love not having to be right anymore.

• Open mind
    Open mind

A very therapuetic read Jerry.

Thanks.

om

• undercover
    undercover

Good post/thread, Jerry.

There's too much unexplainable and beyond me, that I don't want to waste time arguing about what can't be proven or unproven. Life is not the destination, it's the journey, so I'm looking to enjoy what I have now, not something later that I can't prove anyway.

It is a relief to be able to say "I don't know" instead of trying to back up everything you say with a Bible scripture or a WT qoute that proves that you are right and can't be wrong. There's a peace about being in a spot where accept the reality instead of hoping a dream comes true.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I don't need to be right anymore. I don't have to prove the nonexistence or the existence of

Ditto on this and pretty much everything in your post. :)

• littlebird
    littlebird

OOPs!

• littlebird
    littlebird

Thanks so much for posting this thread.

It was quite a struggle for me when I left the Jw's. I had over emphasis on who is right? what is right? etc, etc. It drove me crazy. Its taken me over a year to get this stuff out of my head. I just finally decided "Clean Slate" For example: Im not going to worry about holidays and how they got started, but Im going to look at things from the way they are perceived today. I don't worry about what other people are doing anymore either.

I am a christian, but I don't feel the need to be "right" all the time. I love not having to have all the answers to everything. I like some things to be a mystery.

It feels great to just start over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit