Other Religions Compatible to JWs

by greenie 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Chalam
    Chalam

Just wondering, are there any religions that exist that might be palatable to Dubs?

None compatible, the main one they have a problem with is Christianity, i.e. following Christ.

Have you prayed about your situation and asked what to do?

All the best,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

jwfacts, nice article, 'there is a difference between religion and spirituality'.

• yknot
    yknot

In my personal experience.......

I think it is about finding a denomination (or non-denomination) that has a pastor/deacon (etc) willing not only to 'work' with him but also willing to accept the stuff he isn't ready to let go of without being condemning.....

Stress that indoctrination is what you teach your child individually (or as a couple) while fellowship is about the associating with those who act as Christians in their deeds and lives. Many denominations for instance not only do charity work but have 'visitation' type ministries should he miss FS. Ultimately most churches regardless of denominational divisions are friendly, it is just about finding the right fit socially.

I disagree with the Christadelphians because he probably would like to keep believing Satan is real.

Depending on your location you might want to see if there are any local Bible Students. Yes the ones who didn't go with Rutherford still exist and are autonomous so their professions do vary as a 'safer-feeling' transition.

This all said......while it is admirable you are willing to compromise, what denomination do you favor?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While I know what you are looking for, and don't think you will find a clear answer, some of the people who have done what you are suggesting can be found at brci.org. Contact them there through the links. They are former JW's that left to find Christianity some other way.

My wife took the approach that when I could find something else, she would listen to me about how JW's is the wrong religion. But her definition of something else would pretty much be- A Watchtower organization that doesn't have the same leaders. There are plenty of beliefs out there that teach some of what JW's teach- No trinity or members spreading the word or such. But there really isn't quite the flavor of the dangerous mind-control cult without the dangerous mind-control part.

I think rather than try a familiar fitting religion, you are asking for something that is not so radical to a JW, that they can get comfortable with. Tons have done that. If not BRCI, then some should come along and actually suggest the way you might approach that. Just keep in mind that traditional or typical Christianity is very "Christian" or Christ-oriented, and not very Jehovah-oriented.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

1. They believe the Bible is the infallible and inerrant word of God. (The Christadelphians: What They Believe and Preach, p. 82)
    2. They teach there is only one God. (Isaiah 43-45)
    3. They teach that Jesus had a sin nature (What They Believe, p. 74)
    4. They teach that Jesus needed to save himself, before he could save us. (Christadelphian Answers, p. 24)
    5. They teach that Jesus will return and set up his kingdom on earth. (What They Believe , p. 268)
    6. They believe that there has been an apostasy and that Christianity is a false religious system. (A tract titled “Christendom Astray Since the Apostolic Age, Detroit Christadelphian Book Supply)
    7. They believe annihilation of the wicked. (What They Believe, p. 187).
    8. They believe that baptism is necessary for salvation. (What They Believe , p. 71,72, 207-210)
    9. They believe that it is possible to lose one’s salvation. (What They Believe , p. 212)
    10. They deny the doctrine of the Trinity. (What They Believe, p. 84-87)
    11. They deny that Jesus is God in flesh. (Answers, p. 22)
    12. They deny that Jesus existed prior to his incarnation. (What They Believe , p. 85,86)
    13. They deny the personhood and deity of the Holy Spirit. (What They Believe , p. 115)
    14. They deny the substitutionary atonement of Christ. (Answers, p. 25; What They Believe, p. 71)
    15. They deny salvation by grace through faith alone. (What they Believe, p. 204)
    16. They deny immortality of the soul. (What They Believe , p. 17).
    17. They deny that a person exists after death. (What They Believe, p. 17)
    18. They deny the existence of hell and eternal punishment. (What They Believe, p. 188-189)
    19. They deny the existence of the fallen angel Lucifer as the devil. (Answers, p. 100)

This was pulled from : http://www.carm.org/religious-movements/christadelphianism/what-do-christadelphians-teach

As you can see, the Christadelphians have VERY similar beliefs to jws...with the exeption that they make reference to the cross. But do your research. The jw's pull sentences/references out of context. You will find many of the references they give in literature ALSO say it is possible that Christ died on a cross.

Sorry, not trying to make this into a different topic. The jw's say " but where else would you go?"...well, that's one way to look at it. Or you could just see that jw's are not original at all, like they try to force their members to believe.

And if you find faults with the Christadelphians beliefs, what if they change it one day and claim 'new light'? Why can only jw's claim that?

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

Sorry, my comment was posted twice. ;-)

• Chalam
    Chalam

IMHO Christadelphians are another false group, hence the similarities with JWs.

I have highlighted some things here they reject

Christadelphians reject a number of doctrines held by many other Christians, notably the immortality of the soul, trinitarianism, [ 65 ] [ 68 ] the pre-existence of Jesus Christ, [ 66 ] [ 68 ] the baptism of infants, [ 79 ] the personhood of the Holy Spirit [ 67 ] [ 68 ] [ 65 ] [ 66 ] and the present-day possession of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. [ 67 ] [ 69 ] [ 68 ] They believe that the words devil and satan are references to sin and human nature in opposition to God. According to Christadelphians, these terms are used in reference to specific political systems or individuals in opposition or conflict. Hell is understood to refer to death and the grave, rather than being a place of eternal torment. [ 85 ] Christadelphians do not believe that anyone can go to Heaven. Instead, they believe that only Christ Jesus went to Heaven, and when Christ Jesus comes back to the earth the true believers will live in the Land of Israel which will be the Kingdom of God on Earth. Christadelphians believe the doctrines they reject were introduced into Christendom after the 1st century, [ 86 ] and cannot be demonstrated from the Bible. [ 65 ] [ 68 ] [ 66 ]

All the best,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

Good list AnSnap! I have highlighted the ones which ring alarm bells.

1. They believe the Bible is the infallible and inerrant word of God. (The Christadelphians: What They Believe and Preach, p. 82)
    2. They teach there is only one God. (Isaiah 43-45)
    3. They teach that Jesus had a sin nature (What They Believe, p. 74)
    4. They teach that Jesus needed to save himself, before he could save us. (Christadelphian Answers, p. 24)
    5. They teach that Jesus will return and set up his kingdom on earth. (What They Believe , p. 268) Yes but His kingdom is here already Matthew 11:12 but not yet in fullness (the false king deposed of his throne and the King Of Kings reigning on earth as in Heaven)
    6. They believe that there has been an apostasy and that Christianity is a false religious system. (A tract titled “Christendom Astray Since the Apostolic Age, Detroit Christadelphian Book Supply)
    7. They believe annihilation of the wicked. (What They Believe, p. 187).
    8. They believe that baptism is necessary for salvation. (What They Believe , p. 71,72, 207-210)
    9. They believe that it is possible to lose one’s salvation. (What They Believe , p. 212)
    10. They deny the doctrine of the Trinity. (What They Believe, p. 84-87)
    11. They deny that Jesus is God in flesh. (Answers, p. 22)
    12. They deny that Jesus existed prior to his incarnation. (What They Believe , p. 85,86)
    13. They deny the personhood and deity of the Holy Spirit. (What They Believe , p. 115)
    14. They deny the substitutionary atonement of Christ. (Answers, p. 25; What They Believe, p. 71)
    15. They deny salvation by grace through faith alone. (What they Believe, p. 204)
    16. They deny immortality of the soul. (What They Believe , p. 17).
    17. They deny that a person exists after death. (What They Believe, p. 17)
    18. They deny the existence of hell and eternal punishment. (What They Believe, p. 188-189)
    19. They deny the existence of the fallen angel Lucifer as the devil. (Answers, p. 100)

Of course, 6. should read " They believe that there has been an apostasy and that Christadelphians is a false religious system" which would be correct!

All the best,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

Woops-mashup!

• Chalam
    Chalam

Woops-double mashup!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit