Brits, Scots, and SA's Don't Know How to Spell

by snowbird 84 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

You don't pluralize words with apostrophes and Scottish people are British, since the denononym "British" commonly applies to everybody who lives in UK territory.

• dissed
    dissed

Okay, my experience with the food while visiting England was very good, if you knew where to eat. Pub lunches, very nice.

Our tradition after the meeting on Sunday was a Pub meal. And no one judged me for having a 2nd ale.

I remember asking if it would stumble others if I went for another pint? The JW next to me said, "please, by all means, stumble us" As he offered to pay for the next round.

Next time, I will share how I met the queen after a Pub lunch near Whitehall.

• Caedes
    Caedes

You can't have a roast dinner without yorkshire pudding! My mum also used to serve suet pudding with raisins in with roast dinner too. Lovely

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Only read the first page so far....they are car tyres :P

When I visited America many years ago, I noticed how the WT had substituted spellings, and also for instance, where we would put 'kilometres', it had been replaced with 'miles'. We also say bonnet for your 'hood'. We also drive on the left :)

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Borg, yep, 'dont get your knickers in a knot' or 'twist'....haha Im with you on that one. I think panties isnt classy at all, but thats me having grown up in Australia :) And mmm on yorkshire puddings!!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    You don't pluralize words with apostrophes and Scottish people are British, since the denononym "British" commonly applies to everybody who lives in UK territory.

Thank you, ColdRedRain. All Scots are Brits, but not all Brits are Scots. Got it. Just like all Jews are Israelites, but not all Israelites are Jews. Couldn't find your word, however.

Sorry, we couldn't find http://denononym/ .

Hello, and thanks, David!

Special thanks, also, to Caliber, Digderidoo, Can'tLeave, BorgHater, Dissed, WantsToLeave, HotSpur, and dour old Caedes.

Sylvia

• caliber
    caliber

I am afraid that British people have more accurate understanding about us (North Americans) than the other way around.

For a real quick geography lesson look here .. http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/britain.html

learn the difference between the terms Great Britain, United Kingdom & British Isles..five second lesson (even with pictures !)

Learn for a sample this lesson....England" is sometimes, wrongly, used in reference to the whole United Kingdom, the entire island of Great Britain ( or simply Britain), or indeed the British Isles. This is not only incorrect but can cause offence to people from other parts of the UK

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thank you, Caliber, but I can't access your site for some reason.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

So, it's the United Kingdom of England (English), Scotland (Scottish), Wales (Welsh), and Northern Ireland (Irish).

Am I on the right road?

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover
    All Scots are Brits, but not all Brits are Scots.

I'm sure there are some Scots who'll argue that...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit