Did You Ever Spank Your Kids?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Elsewhere----why???

[In Homer Simpon's Voice] It's funny because it's true!

It really is a funny show and has some really good quotable quotes:

"Welcome to CostCo, I love you." -- Greeter at CostCo

"Carls Jr. 'F*ck You! I'm Eating!'" -- Carl's Jr. Advertisement

It's a great movie if you want to laugh (and cry) at pop-culture.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I got spanked routinely when growing up but never felt abused. I have spanked my child because I thought it was a completely normal form of discipline. I have really been changing my mind about that lately though. Timeouts have seem to be more effective and also easier on everyone's emotions.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I read the article about how spankings supposedly affect IQ. IQ tests themselves are subjective and the study results showing the differences between those spanked and those not spanked seem negligible. Not to mention statistics are skewed all the time to say what someone with an agenda wants them to say. I guess you could say I wasn't blown away by this news item.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

spanked? -- I was strapped and/or beaten

And I am ashamed to say I spanked my kids - spanked not beaten and only on the bottom although one daughter says I slapped her across the face once. I don't recall it but apparently for her having a very bad potty mouth one day.

After I left the JWs I stopped spanking them

• minimus
    minimus

dmouse, Really??

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

From the comments of everyone on this thread, it seems there are two groups: A) Those who were not just spanked, but rather beaten by their parent(s), or who otherwise suffered unreasonable administration of spankings, whippings, etc., and who would never lift a hand against their children today, and B) Those who were spanked sparingly as children and who feel it was a reasonable form of discipline and administer it today.

In other words, it seems that whether you spank your children or not, and in what fashion, depends almost solely on the circumstances in which you were spanked as a child. That might sound pretty straight-forward, but it's actually rather interesting, because, if true, it means we don't come to these conclusions whether to spank or not based on what we know of child psychology and development, but rather, our own emotions. We might find information to back our reasons for spanking or not spanking, but it's probably an effort to support a belief we already hold.

If I may posit a theory here without denigrating the experiences of those who were physucaly abused, I'd say that those who don't spank their children do so because they do not want to place themselves in the same position as their abusive parent, even if it were a matter of mild, sparing spankings, it raises too many painful emotions.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Danial I think there is a problem with your theory.

It totally leaves out people who were beaten and in turn now beat their own children. But you can be sure they won't be posting that anywhere

• John Doe
    John Doe

Hell no. I don't believe in corporal punishment. I just whack 'em a time 'er two with a stick whenever they g'it mouthy.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Dmouse I was beaten and struck across the face regularly as a child.

I spanked my first child because the society told me to. By the time the second came around I spanked her sometimes too but a lot less.

I now have a third child and she has never been spanked or slapped.

Because I learned, from my own experience that spanking children is very short sighted, you often get quicker results, but not as good long term results.

Other forms of dicipline work so much better. Spanking is a copout.

• minimus
    minimus

You can now go to jail for spanking (unless it is consensual).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit