1914 - what is the gist?

by wantstoleave 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

So, I'm totally confused about the whole 1914 thing. Maybe I missed out on hearing the new line of thinking regarding it, I don't know. So what is the latest thinking regarding it? Is it that those of the remnant will not die? Some will see Armageddon? Or that they will all be 'taken' just before it? What is the 'generation' thing? Sorry for the questions if it's already been answered. Just trying to piece the puzzle together :)

• tigeress
    tigeress

i second that motion! would someone please explain?

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

:) Tigeress

• Black Sheep
  • wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Thanks Chris. I read it all the way through..but need someone to explain it in lamens terms....Or is it just the fact that some of the remnant will still be alive when the tribulation starts? Is that all that the 'new light' on the generation meant? Thanks :)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The new (recycled) generation teaching is that the "generation" refers to the anointed over the last 2000 years, not people that were born just prior to 1914. In other words, the generation can no longer be used to show that the end will occur shortly. There is a discussion of the changes to this teaching at http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/generation.php.

Whether some of the anointed will be alive or not at Armageddon is a different subject altogether. The Watchtower has gone back and forth on this for decades. It has generally been held that some anointed still needs to be alive when Armageddon arrives.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Ahhhh now I understand! Because if it were only talking about those pre-1914, then they'd be mighty old by now...and if some were to still be alive for Armageddon, then it would mean it's really, really soon. Right, I get it now...thanks for that!!

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Just did a quick scan of that site....very informative, will go back later for more reading. Meantime, maybe another stupid question, but please help. Why on earth is 1914 used as 'the' year? How does anyone know 1914 was a pivotal time? I don't get it at all. Wasn't that when satan was thrown out of heaven? (or have I muddled this up) and if so, how did anyone know that???

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I don't think you did all your personal study if you have forgotten about 1914 already.

The prophecy of the Seven Times is used to calculate that the Gentile times ended in 1914 and Jesus started to rule in heaven at that time. It was also at that time that Satan was thrown out of heaven - Jesus cleansed heaven when he started ruling. This was something Russell adapted from the Second Adventists. However, http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/607-1914.php shows why the prophecy of the seven times has nothing to do with 1914.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

You're right, I didn't do much personal study. I'm not all that old though, maybe when the revising of the generation thing came out I was young. Nevertheless, thankyou for connecting the dots for me :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit