1914 - what is the gist?

by wantstoleave 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

JWfacts, the generation is not "the anointed over the last 2000 years." The Society is not quite so stupid enough to suggest that the "generation" is 2,000 years long. According to their definition, the new understanding is that the "generation" is the "modern-day" segment of this anointed class. There was a first-century "generation" and now there is a modern-day "generation".

"As a class, these anointed ones make up the modern-day "generation" of contemporaries that will not pass away "until all these things occur." This suggests that some who are Christ's anointed brothers will still be alive on earth when the foretold great tribulation begins." Watchtower 2008 Feb 15 p.24.

What they mean by "modern-day" I am unsure of although they probably still mean 1914 as the starting point.

Yadda

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

...Which must be why my dad has always said to me that some of those remnant are getting mighty old, and if some of them are to be alive for the tribulation, then it shows how close the end is (my dads words). Thanks, now I understand :)

• designs
    designs

The Society, from the time of Russell as a Bible Student to the present JWs have shifted from mid-tribulationism to post-trib and back to mid-trib..

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Your Dad is like mine, wtl. He didn't understand the 1995 study article that disconnected the 'generation' from 1914.

I am sure that is because they are so well trained at disregarding anything that undermines strongly held beliefs that they can even ignore the WT when they don't like the implications.

They have recently disconnected the 'Remnant' from the 1935 cut off date as well, so that they don't even need the 'replacement' excuse for newbie Remnants.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

What do you mean by replacement excuse? As in those of the remnant that fall away, and need to be replaced? I know a couple who literally out of the blue one day announced they were part of the remnant...they were in their 30's at the time. They are now probably close to 60. The wife, she said it hit her like a bolt of lightning, when she was in the bathroom! As in, on the toilet. The husband said he got the lightning bolt feeling the same day.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Had they been picking mushrooms for lunch. You can feel pretty spiritual if you get the right ones

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Yes, that is the 'replacement' I mean.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Hahaha Chris! Sounds like they'd been on some kind of trip!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit