Recent Example of Molestation Policy

by xelder 21 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• xelder
    xelder

In the 80's a very righteous elder in our congregation was caught molesting his 2 stepdaughters. He was DF'd. Within 5 years he was 60 miles down the road serving as an elder in another congregation. (His wife stayed with him) Later he was removed again and now he doesn't serve as an elder. Since then the WTS has made a few (but not enough) improvements in policy. But the legal system in the 80's was behind as well. (There wasn't Megan's law, etc.)

Very recently, we had an older convicted child molester, recently out of prison, attending our congregation. He was not baptized, but his wife was. (Yes, she stayed with him). A sister found out who he was because of seeing it on the "evil" internet. It turns out that the molestation had ocurred to a young girl in another congregation. We needed some information so our elder body had 2 elders call the WTS and the brother at Brooklyn was quite impatient with them and said, 'all you need to know is in letters we've already sent to you, go look in your file'. We disagreed because this was regarding a NON-WITNESS attending our meetings with his JW wife. We wanted to know what warnings we could give our congregation. We wanted to know how many times this had ocurred. What was the extent? Did he fondle her chest or rape her? Can we write to the last congregation for details? So we sent a written request of these issues to WTS.

Answer back was: Give a general talk if you want but no names. Do not mention named molester to anyone. If you see a need, make a shepherding call on a family to give a non-specific warning. Protect Ecclesiastical priviledge. Elders, moniter this individual, follow him into the bathroom - etc. I told the elder body that I would tell at risk families details because this was too important. If that's a problem, I shouldn't serve as an Elder. I told the CO and he said, "I think the legal department makes too many decisions anymore"

I know of elders who take turns with the other elders in there congregation to follow a molester at the assembly. If he sits in the cafeteria, so does the elder and his family. The Elders family has no idea why they have to sit in the cafeteria since all is confidential. But the molester is protected so that he has opportunity to turn around ?????

On the other hand. I've seen an issue when a couple is getting divorced and the wife accuses the husband of molesting a daughter. The daughter has no memory of it. Is it repressed? Is the divorce because of abuse? Or is the abuse accusation because of the divorce. The man is immediately not qualified for congregation priviledges. Given, maybe he's not being a good family head, what if he's innocent of molestation?

What if a 19 year old gets in trouble with his 17 year old girlfriend? Should the congregation view him forever as a molester?

• avishai
    avishai

Well, first, your job is to make kids safe. Grey areas, etc. are for legal authorities. But the guy you are referring to is CONVICTED. So your instincts are right. As far as the legal dept. goes, you are exactly right. The legal divisions they've made in recent years are made to protect BETHEL. They'll let individual elders swing in the breeze in legal cases, you have to cover your own butt.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have pondered these things. Well, first of all- molestation/abuse of children is a crime. It is not a WT-defined sin. It is a crime. Elders should not be sticking their "ecclesiastical" noses into a crime. Cooperate with authorities, stand with victims as you go forward to report THE CRIME- well, at least the accusation of a crime. Let professional counselors help the victims. Let the police and the legal system deal with the criminal.

I hate the "They should..." stuff because they should disappear off the face of the earth. But in the even that the WTS doesn't do that, they should follow the law. Announce what can be announced. When it cannot be announced, they can tell members what websites or news sources contain names of the criminals. They can tell all families that they should NEVER NEVER trust their children unsupervised with adults- even (especially) the elders. They should put victims interests first and foremost, protecting children. If it's God's organization, let God protect that. Protect the children.

There's a great amount of help at Barbara Anderson's piece: http://www.freeminds.org/life-stories/former-bethelites/the-discoveries-of-barbara-anderson.html

It not only addresses what they should do, it addresses how what they tried to do was so little and still not implimented right.

In the case of the 19-year old with a 17-year old, it does seem silly. Listen to the law. Typically, the law recognizes this gray area and requires a bigger gap in the age difference. If not, the 19-year old might be screwed. (Sorry for the double meaning.)

• freeman
  • freeman
    freeman

When an allegation of molestation is made, the first thing elders are instructed to do is contact the legal department of the watchtower. That is the standing instruction as of today 9/24/2009. IMHO you don’t need to know another thing about the watchtower organization or their beliefs, this one fact broadcasts loud and clear their true colors and agenda.

F reeman

• flipper
    flipper

XELDER- Good thread. And welcome to the board. The C.O. told you, " I think the legal department makes too many decisions anymore. " Exactly. Man, is THAT the understatement of the year ! And therein lies one of the big problems with the WT society always wanting to save the face of the organization and not risk getting sued by alleged child molesters thus putting more innocent children at risk. They are only concerned about legal aspects- not the safety and welfare of the members of the congregations. Especially children. It's disgusting.

After reading the letter you got from Bethel- I wanted to puke and scream all at the same time. The GB and the legal reps of Bethel are the devil reincarnated as humans, I swear. Some of the instructions you received were downright stupid. " Do not mention named molester to anyone. " Oh, really ? Even the police ? Also THIS little jewel , " Make a shepherding call on a family to give a NON-SPECIFIC warning. " Like THAT does any good. Total freaking idiots - the leaders of the WT society.

Maybe the WT instructions should be given to elders to off the GB and legal reps and give THEM a non-specific warning of their imminent demise

• xelder
    xelder

flipper -

just to clarify, he had no current allegations to go to the police with - or else that of course would be first step - we were worried about future ones. thanks for your excellent comments.

• metatron
    metatron

Guys, USE YOUR IMAGINATION! You could name the molester to any member of the congregation by an anonymous letter. Somebody gets a nice card with no return address containing no more than 25 words or so - it also contains a copy of a relevant printed article reporting on the crime. Make sure it shows a photo of the criminal.

Hint: send it to various sisters ( you know who.....) Does the Society do this with the police in regard to molesters? Do it to them!

metatron

• flipper
    flipper

XELDER- Oh, I see. I stand, or sit corrected ! LOL! I misunderstood- thought you had current allegations you were dealing with. But it's good you are keeping an eye on the situation. You are welcome for the comments ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• avishai
    avishai

Current allegations or not, he'll do it again first chance he gets. Way to stay on the case, X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit