Who Or What Influenced You The Most To Get Out Of The Religion?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

My Son is the reason I am out. He quit and I was going to prove to him Watchtower was right. Done research and got out. Been out since 2004.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

1. Being Queer
    2. Having Access to the internet

House of cards at that point

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Knew there was something wrong when I read the UN scandel which I still don't think it's HUGE but that was the start, pedophiles shook my faith in WTS since when I called them in June, a month after finding out they settled out of court and they basically told me to write them a letter and wouldn't answer anything on the phone I was quite upset about it. But what finally did it was when I found Thy Kingdom Come book at my wife's grandparants home which we were cleaning out for them. I've read it and that was it for the wts. I knew that 1914 was bogus and learned all the other BS Charlie taught I didn't need to see much more. I've stopped going to any of the meetings at that point and started researching wts, year an a half later I finally DA myself from them. Only reason I wrote a letter was because that's what they expect from those joining the cult to do with their former religion so if I had to do that when I left the catholic club I didn't want to disappoint them so I wrote nice long letter resigning from this cult. No more religion, never again!!!

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

ELDERS

KT

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

I think the onset of adulthood was the main thing for me.

• Nellie
    Nellie

1. Like OTWO, I sat in stunned amazement at the DC where they disclosed the new understanding of the generation.
    2. Having to explain to my children things I felt in my heart were wrong.
    3. Being overwhelmed with life (wife, mother of 4, caring for my mother, etc.) and needing to lighten my load.
    4. I finally decided to give myself permission to ask the questions I had - and then find the answers to them.
    5. Finding the answers to my questions left me with no choice!
  • the research lady
    the research lady

AT first, it was some of the teachings. They taught that the elders were the anointed in heaven. Then they came up with the elder arrangement in 1972 where even some men who did not have a heavenly hope were appointed as elders. But, the real clincher came in 1989 when I was born again. I told the presiding overseer that I was going to be partaking at the Memorial. His comment to me was, but sister Fearon, you do have mental problems don't you? I said, "NO Richard, I don't have mental problems--I had a brain hemorrahage and I am half blind in both eyes but, I see clearer than ever spiritually". To which he said, "well none of the elders will believe you". To which I said, "It doesn't matter what they say, it's between me and Jehovah". He had nothing more to say. It seems odd to me that when you now have the heavenly hope, you are treated like "the third monkey on Noah's ark".

• cognac
    cognac

There were a lot of little things but the biggest thing for me was studying with an annointed brother before and after a lot of the meetings. He taught me how to read the bible.

His first actual assignment for me was to read Mark chapter 1. Honestly, I think he's an apostate and he knew exactly was he was doing having me read that chapter. At the end of the 1st chapter it shows how the sabbath was created for man, not man for the sabbath. Out of that I immediately questioned the blood issue. It was only a matter of time at that point...

• minimus
    minimus

Very enlightening thread!

I enjoy logical understanding. The WT. cannot provide this for many of its beliefs. That's a deal breaker for me.

Inez, "the third monkey on Noah's ark"....that's quite funny.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well - I am still in but Randy's site www.freeminds.org which then directed me to this site - well OK the old jwd

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit