What is the narrow gate?

by YoYoMama 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

Maybe the wide road is the path of least resistance, and the narrow gate is the path of thought, discipline and sensitivity.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not have traveled both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for the that, the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh! I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken" 1914

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• seven006
    seven006

Here is the same concept that appeared in the Upanishad's specifically the Katha Upanishad's six hundred years before the bible turned the razors edge concept into a narrow path one.

"Arise! Awake! Approach the great and learn. Like the sharp edge of a razor is that path, so the wise say—hard to tread and difficult to cross."

Notice the opening "Awake!", makes ya wonder doesn't it.

Personally I would rather walk a narrow path than a razors edge. Of course looking back at the time the bible was written most men had beards so ripping off the thought of a razors edge wouldn't go over as well as a narrow path. Eastern men especially those of the oriental persuasion did not have much in the way of facial hair so they kept the little threads of hair on their face shaved off. It's amazing how one thought written 600 years before another thought can be claimed by the newest religion of the two.

Keep this up YoYo, I'm having a good time.

Take care,

Dave

• Francois
    Francois

The WTBTS doesn't seem to realize that though the gate may be narrow, it IS wide enough for ALL who wish to traverse it.

Frankly, I think Seven006 is smack dab on the right track. Notice in his quote from the Upanishads that it is the one learning to whom the statement is being made. And when someone is learning the Way, its practice does indeed seem like a razor's edge - so easy to veer off of it in one direction or another. However, with practice and discipline (the act of being a disciple), this Way - which is so different from that which is on either side - becomes vast and broad, infinite like the universe.

Spiritual geniuses of all ages have known of the Way, so it's not strange that in the Upanishads, in the Tao Te Ching, and elsewhere we can find the concepts - and sometimes the very words - of Jesus. Concepts like "you must give up your self in order to find your Self" (Tao Te Ching, Chapter 7, depending on the translation). Main difference apparently being that Lao Tzu was speaking OF the Way, and Jesus was the Way in living incarnation. He did say that he was "the Way, the Truth, and the Light (life)."

And since I'm babbling, I'll stop. But I'll bet Seven006 knows what I mean; Uncle Bruce, too. And many others. To all who have not directly experienced the Way, no amount of words will explain it; to all who have experienced the Way, no words are necessary.

Francois

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest YoYo... may you have peace!

By the spirit of my Father that is in me, holy spirit, by means of Christ, I say to you:

The 'narrow gate'...

Is the SAME thing as the 'Door';
    Is the SAME thing as the 'Way';
    Is the SAME thing as the 'Truth';
    Is the SAME thing as the 'Life';
    Is the SAME thing as the 'Tree [of Life]';
    Is the SAME thing as the Word';
    Is the SAME thing as the 'Light';

... ALL of which lead... to God...

John 14:6
    John 10:1-9
    John 8:12
    John 1:1, 9, 14
    Revelation 19:13
    Psalm 119:105
    Psalm 1:1-3
    Revelation 22:1, 2
    John 15:1
    Isaiah 11:10
    Jeremiah 23:5
    Zechariah 3:8

... and ALL of which IS...

My Lord, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH (Jah Saves; Chosen of Jah), the Son and Christ of the Most High God, the Holy One of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, JAH... of Armies.

Psalm 68:4

There IS no other way (to enter), gate (to open), door (to go through), truth (to know), life (to receive), tree (to eat from) or light (to see by). NO other. None.

And indeed, 'few'... are the ones finding... him.

John 1:41

I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• seven006
    seven006

Francois.

I appreciate the pat on the back but please do not assume that I am in any way endorsing or backing any particular religious thought as being correct. What I speak of is the corruption and manipulation of others by all religion? Humanitarian philosophy, and the controlling efforts of religion who speak of similar philosophies is different. Religion tries to claim any philosophy that is good for humanity as theirs. The continually blow it when they mix in those humanitarian thoughts with those in which they add so as to try and control other peoples life.

I am in no way trying to do that. I have not and will not experience "the way" as stated in your context.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Dave

• cellomould
    cellomould

Has anyone ever pondered this:

Why was it necessary for Christianity to entirely conquer Europe and North America, plus much of South America, Africa, and Asia (this BAD news of the kingdom, according to JWs),

in order that the JWs could then with their 'gleanings' enter through
    the 'narrow gate'???

That logic is impeccably stupid. But this is what has really happened: The BAD news traveled much better than GOOD news ever will!!!

This is because, initially, Christianity rode on the crest of the Roman empire's expansion. Then it rode on the coattails of the British-US world power. This was crucial in fulfilling Biblical prophecy!

If the US hadn't cleared room by killing almost all the Native Americans they encountered, for example, Jehovah's Witnesses would have had nowhere to preach!!!

So were these world powers helpful or harmful to 'God's people'?

anyhow, this is a good thread here. Sorry to digress. I feel sorry for all those people who perished so that JWs could enter through the 'narrow gates'.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Nice thoughts Cellomould, I like the way you think. I was going to use the name "jellomold" myself, but thought better of, as people can be so cruel to anything jello related. I guess it's that vicious *swishing* thru the teeth thing that sets the tone for a lifetime.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

The narrow gate between JW's and reason. Few will go through it.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Gol darn, yer gonna make me get all serious on ya! Once I was in the "old city" and listened to a rabbi talking to a group of chrisian tourists near the Dung Gate. Some one asked the same question about the "narrow gate" and the rabbi quickly responded that it was a term refering to having to dismount ones camel or donkey and remove the heavy load to be able to pass through the offset posts at the gate interence. This "unloading" was a reference to the idea of detachment from worldly possessions as well as forced reconsideration of ones "station". One had to consider if they really wanted to enter "god's city" without all their trappings or if they wanted to continue carrying the burden of material possessions.

One could go a little further and ask if one is willing to drop all their preconceived notions and be open to new paradigms before "entering" a new faith.

carmel

• cellomould
    cellomould

6of9 there is still a chance to be jellomold! We can be twins (fraternal, perhaps.)

I have to laugh hard at Ashitaka!!!

and Carmel, that paradigms bit was interesting.

That's a good lesson for the future, because most of us are still carrying around an "I'm right!" chip on our shoulders. For now, we are right, to a pretty darn good certainty.

Not that we need to be saved, but it's still wise to be humble.

cellomould

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit