Congregation "Bible Study" Comments - Week Commencing 21 September 2009

by LUKEWARM 13 Replies latest jw friends

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

*** lv chap. 10 pp. 110-120 Marriage-A Gift From a Loving God ***

WHO WOULD MAKE A GOOD MARRIAGE MATE?

Q9, 10. (a) How did Paul illustrate the danger of forming close bonds with unbelievers? (b) What often results from ignoring God's counsel not to marry an unbeliever?9 Paul was inspired to write down a vital principle that should be applied when choosing a marriage mate: "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers." (2 Corinthians 6:14) His illustration was based on a fact of agricultural life. If two animals that differ greatly in size or strength are yoked together, both will suffer. Similarly, yoked together by marriage, a believer and an unbeliever will undoubtedly face friction and strains. If one mate wants to remain in Jehovah's love and the other cares little or nothing about that, their priorities in life will not match, and much discomfort is likely to result. Paul thus urged Christians to marry "only in the Lord."-1 Corinthians 7:39.

When Paul referred to "unbelievers' was he talking about non JW's or people who did not believe in the Christ?

Why are they not specific as to what a "believer" is? Is this another instance of twisting the scriptures - making the application mean a member of the Jehovah's Witness religion?

"If one mate wants to remain in Jehovah's love..." means if one party accepts that the WTS has the correct interpretation of the Bible and are willing to live and die in accordance with these directives and advance that to others as the "truth".

"...priorities in life will not match, and much discomfort is likely to result." - Imagine the discomfort if one marriage mate believed that the generation born in 1914 would see the end only to have this life changing "truth" deleted by the WTS in one sentence in 1996 without even apologizing for another false prophecy!

10 In some cases, single Christians have come to the conclusion that an uneven yoking would be better than the loneliness they currently feel. Some decide to ignore Bible counsel, and they marry a person who does not serve Jehovah. Again and again, the outcome is sad. Such ones find themselves married to a person with whom they cannot share the most important things in life. The loneliness that results may be far greater than any that they experienced before they married. Happily, there are many thousands of single Christians who trust in and loyally adhere to divine counsel in this regard. (Psalm 32:8) Though hoping to marry someday, they remain single until they find a mate among those who worship Jehovah God.

"Some decide to ignore Bible counsel" should be rephrased to WTS counsel since the Bible clearly talks about people believing in the Christ, not people belonging to a certain Christian denomination.

"...person who does not serve Jehovah" are non JW's - some 6,500,000,000 individuals who will be destroyed according to the WTS teaching.

"...trust in and loyally adhere to divine counsel in this regard." What divine counsel? The WTS is again going "beyond the things written" and requiring others draw the same conclusion

Q11. What can help you to choose a marriage mate wisely? (See also the box on page 114.)11 Of course, not every servant of Jehovah is automatically a suitable marriage mate. If you are considering marriage, look for someone whose personality, spiritual goals, and love for God are compatible with your own. The faithful slave class has provided much food for thought on this subject, and you would do well to consider such Scriptural counsel prayerfully, letting it guide you in making this important decision.-Psalm 119:105.

What are "spiritual goals"? Are they full time pioneering, serving where the need is greater, bethel service, missionary service?

Do all the 9980 anointed ones compose "The faithful slave class" and are they collectively consulted in what food needs to be disseminated?
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/174833/1/6-15-WT-GB-More-Powerful-than-Worldwide-Anointed-Dont-Judge-Partaking

"...consider such Scriptural counsel prayerfully, letting it guide you in making this important decision" - how many were guided by the below ruling?
    "While both homosexuality and bestiality are disgusting perversions, in the case of neither one is the marriage tie broken. It is broken only by acts that make an individual "one flesh" with a person of the opposite sex other than his or her legal marriage mate." W72 01/01 pp.31-2

[Box/Pictures on page 114] WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR IN A MATE?
    Principle: "The two will be one flesh.-Matthew 19:5.
    Some questions to ask yourself
    - Why is it important to be "past the bloom of youth" before marrying?-1 Corinthians 7:36; 13:11; Matthew 19:4, 5.
    - Although I am old enough to marry, how can I benefit from staying single for a period of time?-1 Corinthians 7:32-34, 37, 38.
    - If I choose to marry, why is it important that my prospective mate have a record of faithful service to Jehovah?-1 Corinthians 7:39.
    - How can the following scriptures help a sister to identify the qualities needed in a mate?-Psalm 119:97; 1 Timothy 3:1-7.
    - How could Proverbs 31:10-31 help a brother choose a marriage mate wisely?

Q12. What custom regarding marriage prevails in many lands, and what Bible example offers some guidance?12 In many lands, it is customary for parents to choose a mate for their child. It is widely agreed in those cultures that parents have the greater wisdom and experience needed to make such an important choice. Arranged marriages often work out well, as they did in Bible times. The example of Abraham sending his servant to find a wife for Isaac is instructive to parents who may be in a similar position today. Money and social standing were not Abraham's concern. Rather, he went to great lengths to find a wife for Isaac among people who worshipped Jehovah.-Genesis 24:3, 67.

"...went to great lengths to find a wife for Isaac among people who worshipped Jehovah" What about Moses, Joseph, Esther and Ruth's husband etc who were married to unbelievers?

HOW CAN YOU PREPARE FOR A SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGE?

Q13-15. (a) How can the principle found at Proverbs 24:27 help a young man who is thinking about marriage? (b) What can a young woman do to prepare for marriage?13 If you are thinking seriously about marriage, you would do well to ask yourself, 'Am I really ready?' The answer does not simply lie in your feelings about love, sex, companionship, or child rearing. Rather, there are specific goals that each prospective husband or wife should think about.

14 A young man who seeks a wife should think carefully about this principle: "Prepare your work out of doors, and make it ready for yourself in the field. Afterward you must also build up your household." (Proverbs 24:27) What is the point? In those days, if a man wanted to "build up [his] household," or establish a family by getting married, he needed to ask himself, 'Am I ready to care for and support a wife and any children who might come along?' He had to work first, caring for his fields, or crops. The same principle applies today. A man who wants to marry needs to prepare for the responsibility. As long as he is physically able, he will have to work. God's Word indicates that a man who does not care for the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of his family is worse than one without faith!-1 Timothy 5:8.

"Am I ready to care for and support a wife and any children who might come along?" - Disgusting how the WTS feels no guilt or shame knowing that by discouraging higher education, the young man will end up with a lower paying menial job and will need to work so much harder and longer to support his family

"God's Word indicates that a man who does not care for the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of his family is worse than one without faith!" As usual, no apologies from the WTS for the way they have directly contributed to the husband load encouraging the minimum standard of education; rather they resemble the Pharisees in quickly heaping the guilt back on the individual.

15 A woman who decides to marry is likewise agreeing to shoulder a number of weighty responsibilities. The Bible praises some of the skills and qualities that a wife may need as she helps her husband and cares for her household. (Proverbs 31:10-31) Men and women who rush into marriage without preparing to take on the responsibilities involved are really being selfish, failing to think of what they can offer a potential mate. Most of all, though, those contemplating marriage need to be prepared spiritually.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    When Paul referred to "unbelievers' was he talking about non JW's or people who did not believe in the Christ?

Good point but I'm afraid that this is lost on the average JW. They claim to be the only "true" followers of Christ and the only individuals who know Christs true nature (a lesser god) and Gods divine name (Jehovah). It completely escapes them the idea that Christendom's churches also know the divine names (Jehovah, YHWH, Yahweh). To point out that Christ never uttered this name in His ministry is also lost on them as is the idea that God's name appears no where in the Greek (NT) text.

What are "spiritual goals"? Are they full time pioneering, serving where the need is greater, bethel service, missionary service?

The words 'spiritual goals' is my wife's favorite saying. Since she is hindered by her requirement to complete college and live with an 'unbelieving husband' she envies this JW friend she made at her former daycare job. She envies the fact that this girl is unmarried, just completed her associate's degree, and is now pursuing 'spiritual goals' rather than going for her bachelor's. I think my wife lives vicariously through her and has become this girl's mentor teaching her on how not to end up the predicament my wife is in (oh the horror).

So what exactly is the horrible situation my wife is in?

She has a husband who takes his marraige vows seriously (due to his Bible beliefs) and who during our worst years together did not leave her even when family and friends were allowing for it and at times encouraging it. No, I am not perfect, I too did things that made her want to leave but she too held on.

She has a teaching job that she loves which also pays for her college so she can complete her bachelor's degree. Her friend that she envies will not be able to get a teaching job at most licensed centers due to licensing requirements so she may always be a TA (which pays little to no money). My wife, by contrast, will have her degree plus experience which will give her an advantage in her career. This friend of hers, by the way, still lives at home with her parents.

Because she went to college to begin with, she has a 9 to 5 type job with weekends and lots of holidays off. Compare that to an uneducated or undereducated individual who may have to work menial jobs and work evenings, weekends, and forget lots of time off. So much for having all this 'extra time' for pioneering. By the way, her mother is a full time pioneer (the ultimate dream for my wife I bet) but her mother hasn't worked in years (20+) and is living on disability.

Thanks to the degree that she and I have (and the jobs we were able to get with them) we are able to help out her sister who, partly due to circumstances and partly due to some of the poor choices she made, needs a little help when she can't make ends meet or needs transportation. That's not to say that she hasn't helped us out as well, but we are usually the people she turns to first. This is partly because her devout JW parents are not gainfully employed (mother's on disability, father's on unemployment).

To be clear, I do not say this to be prideful. I thank the Lord for providing me with a family who encouraged my getting my education, even allowing me to live at home rent free while I pursued my degree. I also thank Him for leading me to the job that I have and I even thank Him for blessing me with the wonderful family that He's given me. I know that I could not have possibly been able to do all of this by myself. However, it hurts me when I heard my wife and her sister say that they wish they had found 'Jehovah's Witness' men. Or when she speaks of her JW friend and you can tell that she is truly 'envious' of her. To be fair, I too have wondered whether or not my life would've been better if I had founded and married a Christian woman. But I try not to dwell on it too much and thank the Lord for what I have. As I pointed out to my wife, we need to be thankful for what we have and stop thinking that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. For while we're busy looking at other pastures, others are looking at ours. I'm thankful for what the Lord has given me and I know that I could not have done it alone.

I apologize for 'tooting my own horn' for a bit but I guess this "Bible Study" just seems to illustrate how they keep drilling discontent in the hearts and minds of their followers. I wonder how many Jehovah's Witnesses are truly happy with their lives? Maybe some of the Jehovah's Witnesses on this board can tell me.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Thanks

Ismael

• SuspiciousMinds
    SuspiciousMinds

Thanks for the summary. What book are they studying right now? I'm not familiar with lv.

SM

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is what happens if anyone tries to "build up one's household":

Brother Hounder will show up and hound and nag about why are you not pio-sneering. When you mention you are trying to "get ready for marriage", Brother Hounder will tell you that you would be better off serving Baghead Jehovah for "a number of years" (which can drag to infinity) before even thinking of marriage. You will be dissuaded, and if you resist that hounding, "you are really not spiritually qualified for marriage anyway". Anyone already having a decent job will have to quit and pio-sneer "for a time" (not specific) before, and donate whatever money is saved into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. Hence the "brother" is stuck single, and now they tell him to "take advantage of your "gift(??)" of singleness". The Value Destroyer Training School is "suggested".

Now, what qualities are they trying to showcase in a marriage partner? I don't know about anyone on this forum, but I am not willing to marry someone that is disgustingly ugly and always nagging me for the slightest little thing, just because she happens to be a pio-sneer, has been at Beth Hell for 50 years, and was the daughter of a lead hounder. What the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger doesn't tell is that looks, personality, and intelligence do matter in women, and intelligence, personality, and the ability to make a decent amount of money (and not waste it all into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund) do matter in men. Women usually do not want to be stuck with a tyrant or someone that makes very little money and wastes it all into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund, and most men do not want to be stuck with someone that is (to them) ugly (some men do in fact want their women to be old and/or fat; others do not), stupid, and always complaining when there is no grounds to (creating problems where none existed).

And do they really need "a faithful record of service"? I find this to be a crock of s***. What they define as "a faithful record of service" could mean any length of time. You try to court shortly after baptism, it is "too soon". Wait, and "still too soon--let's wait a while longer to see if that record is going to hold". What they really want is for someone else to take your prospective mate out from under your feet, and for you to remain for the Value Destroyer Training School. They will claim that the person who took your mate out from under your feet should have waited, but will usually do nothing about it.

Why in hell does Jehovah demand it to be so hard for single people to find mates? I wish I could yank that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag out of heaven and do this s*** to Him, plus make the opposite sex totally unreceptive to Him, so He could learn how it feels to have sex needs only to have some Almighty Lowlife Scumbag methodically frustrate them. Or, have Him yanked down as a member of the opposite sex with the same feelings toward me that He has imparted in the opposite sex, and have me forced on Him (which would now be a Her). Again, that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag would get a taste of what He has wrought on this planet with His monkey business.

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

'Some decide to ignore bible counsel, and they marry a person who does not serve Jehovah. Again and again, the outcome is sad.'

Yes, the outcome is sad - sad for the poor bugger who married the JW!!

BorgHater x

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

It is not God who is the lowlife. The lowlife principles directing the 'rank and file' come from the WTBTS. The governing body directs the Jehovah's Witnesses, not God. The WTBTS twists everything and manipulates everyone into believing who knows what. It's crazy, and it misleads and misdirects the 'rank and file' into believing God wants such and such and doesn't want such and such from them. it is nuts! How can JWs know if they are coming or going? This religion is a shipwreck. I just want so much for it to implode and for all the passengers on this moldy old ship to be free. If only everyone could see through all the nonsense that is being shoveled down their throats by this 'religion'. Ugh!

• flipper
    flipper

LUKEWARM- Good thread. This Congregation Book study information is such BS mind control crap ! The WT society makes it sound like a person will absolutely be miserable if they marry a non-witness person. It's ridiculous fear mongering mind control rhetoric they instill in witnesses. For instance this quote : " Some.......... marry a person who does not serve Jehovah. AGAIN and AGAIN the outcome is sad. Such ones find themselves married to a person with whom they cannot share the most important things in life. " Oh yeah ? Like what ?

Then we have this dizzying bit of intellectual stimulus by the WT society, " Of course , not every servant of Jehovah is a suitable marriage mate. " Boy , is THAT the understatement of the year. I was married 19 years to a psycho JW wife- and I've been much happier in my 3 year marriage to my " worldly " , er non-witness wife than I EVER was in a witness marriage !

Just like all mind control cults- the WT society is using this info to keep witnesses in FEAR of ever marrying outside the organization. Just another tool to control them . Really sick

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Such ones find themselves married to a person with whom they cannot share the most important things in life.

This should be considered from the unbelieving spouses' point of view. What would they consider to be the most important things in life?

Raising your children together with strong morals and ethics is the most important responsibility of adult life. Honest persons of any persuasion can share this duty: Catholic, Protestant, Jew, Moslem, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, Animist, humanist, agnostic, atheist, others not mentioned, or JW. What counts is your own character and your willingness to cooperate in raising the children well, not your sect. Build on those things you and your spouse have in common, don't dwell on the differences. The Watchtower article turns that commonsense advice upside down.

Are the holidays important to you? Remembering these special occasions is very important to those who observe Christmas, Rosh Hoshana, Ramadan, etc. They are also a time of family and community bonding, bringing closer those who drift away. The Watchtower does not merely insist their members sit out the holiday passively, they criticize the occasion and berate those who celebrate it. That is a source of strife that strains the mixed marriage, and the organization must accept that their rigid anti-holiday policy causes that strife (and is not in accord with their founder's teachings!). Don't forget that the Last Supper was a holiday observance: Passover.

Many who are fortunate enough to live in lands with freely elected governments consider participating in the elections and other aspects of our civic life to be greatly important, an opportunity to align the laws of man with the laws of God and pass the gift and responsibility of freedom to new generations. The Watchtower organization mandates that Witnesses may not vote, may not run for office, may not particpate in any aspect of civic life. By preventing members from studying the issues and voting for the more moral choice, the organization is effectively supporting the less moral alternative.

To people of faith and generosity, giving and sharing with others is important. Like the Good Samaritan, they show charity not just among their own kind, but to whoever needs it. Watchtower charity is very limited, essentially confined only to their own members. Do they run hospitals? Soup kitchens? Homeless shelters? Orphanages? Scholarship funds? Blood drives? When the Watchtower is involved, charity starts at home, but ends in Brooklyn Heights.

Many people do find themselves married to a person with whom they cannot share the most important things in life: a person who has been denied those things by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society!

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Very good topic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit