the big black hole of belief

by highdose 14 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

i no longer belive anything that i was ever taught as a JW. I therefore find myself without any beliefs at all. Which having talked to all the freinds i've made since seems to not be unusual. But since i grew up with my whole life revolving around religous beliefs, to not have any feels like a big black hole, which i'm not sure about. I'm not that sure that i want to fill it with anymore beliefs to be honest, although disconcerting its actualy quite a relief not to believe in anything anymore.

Am i making sense? and does anyone else have experiance with this issue?

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Enjoy the blank canvas while it lasts. Don't be too quick to fill it up with any old shit though, since you've gotten rid of one strain of the christianity virus, there's no point going out & catching another straight away. Give religion a rest for a while (forever idealy) & just read some books about science & history.

We don't need to believe anything, we just need to grasp reality.

• wobble
    wobble

Relax, enjoy your freedom, you can believe what you like, and change your beliefs as often as you like,.or stay with "none" .

My Wife and I found it strange at first not being in the routine of a Dub i.e like a mouse in a wheel, we also still find it hard that we no longer see any of the people we had a great affection for, plus my wife loves kids, and misses seeing the little ones grow up, all a big black hole. We also are struggling with what to believe.

But there is a wonderful world out there, filled with great people, and so so much to do !

Good luck, stay happy and enjoy the real life you have now.

Love

Wobble

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Your initial post here makes perfect sense to me. Some of what's off my back is fear of that monster known as Jehovah.
    Some of what's off my back is anxiety caused by any organized religion.

The Black Hole- if not a firm set of beliefs, what then? Well, I have become a rationalist. It's similar to atheism but it just doesn't rule out anything. I accept what is evident and rational. I study eastern thought, not for religion, but to understand better how to accept that others believe differently from each other. Spirituality has become a journey of understanding for me. There is no destination but just a road. I cannot answer all of life's simplest yet deepest questions to complete satisfaction so I enjoy the journey of learning what others are thinking on the matter.

Some whack-job fundamentalist said to answer scientists/atheists with the statement "Were you there?" whenever they talk about evolution or the development of life/continents/etc. That works both ways. If he were to talk about Jesus or Noah, I could easily say "Were you there?" So no matter what, someone will be discontent with the answers to "Why are we here?" and "Where do we go after this life?" I might join in a conversation or a thread about such matters, but I know that it can never be fully addressed unless we could all get in a time machine and go back to the beginning, then all meet up again in an afterlife to compare notes. Neither will ever happen.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I know exactly where you are. There is a little church in our community that neighbors have been encouraging me to join but I see so many similarities between that and JW's on a social basis that it makes me sick. I don't mind not having all the answers all bundled up in a 192 page book anymore. Enjoy it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

In meditational practice, a person can get to the point of not believing some of ones own thoughts. This sounds schizophrenic, at first. However, depending on whether or not a person has healthy thinking habits, many thoughts can be erroneous. For instance, a person w a history of depression is, in many cases causing their own depression w their thoughts. I'm not sure if this applies to the bipolar, however. In many other cases, a person who ceases belief in their negative thoughts can become largely free of depression.

S

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

I totally relate to what you are saying Highdose, that is very much how i feel at the moment. I think all who have commented are right - we shouldn't worry about it too much, just enjoy life in a way we have never been able to before. I think OnTheWayOuts comments especially make alot of sense.

Btw i haven't posted on here for a while so hello again everyone

BorgHater x

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Thanks for sharing. I really view this as sacred ground for anyone, regardless of their ultimate conclusions.

Here are some anecdotal musings that I have gleaned from reading here and my own experience....

Firstly, it seems we all have a void where belief used to be. It is a space. At first its painful, because of the emotional investment in said belief. For some, because it is never addressed, that pain stays for years, decades.

(I don't believe that it has to stay that way.)

I also realize that at first, this pain causes the theist/atheist debates that we see popping up here on the board. Between those who filled that JW void with another faith and religion, and those who chose to fill that void without the worship of god or the need for organized religion.

I don't know what is best for you. It is my opinioin that we all need to listen to what we have been trying to tell ourselves for some time. We need to listen to ourselves. It's discovering what deep down, we already are, and what we already sense and think.

I have my own views, which are for me. What you choose to fill that void with, (which hopefully takes away any lingering pain) is up to you. I think that exciting and good news.

My only piece of (unsolicited) advice is: avoid doing nothing. Avoid the decision to not give this enough thought where you arrive at some conclusion. Because if you do that, you will only stay bitter at JW's, and bitter in general.

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

As always Jeff, your thoughts are objective and insightful - i think i'm developing a little crush *giggles and turns red*

• Narkissos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit