the big black hole of belief

by highdose 14 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Thanks BorgHater, you make me blush.

Narkissos, that is an excellent thread. It seems we all sense this "hole/void" that exists. JW's moved in on it, and tried to claim territorial rights to that void.

That void is nothing more then our own discovery of ourselves ultimately, imo.

In your thread Narkissos, you had one great quote from Pascal:

As Pascal put it, " All human evil comes from a single cause, man's inability to sit still in a room. "

I think people or groups who have a point of view and try to persuade others to that point of view, interpret human confusion incorrectly.

Instead of seeing them as an individual trying to listen to themselves and figure it out, they try to rush in before the person has a chance to really listen and understand themselves.

Thats why JW's almost never get a person who has self esteem and personal identity as a convert. It's always the lost, with that void, those that don't know themselves, and at the moment, don't know how to get to know themselves.

Those who leave JW's, (esp if they converted as adults) often find that same void exists. Hopefully, they can at least identify what that void is now, and listen to themselves, discover themselves, and get some peace.

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

Maybe you're not quite sure whether you believe in a higher power or, (like me) have reasoned that there probably is no god. I'm a happy humanist. Likely, for a formerly religious person, that is a difficult place to be, and probably feels a bit alien - uncomfortable, even. Maybe you should read a bit more about the subject before you make any committment one way or the other? It's your choice.

Take your time, and act when, and if, you are ready. Despite what you've been told by the JWs, eons of time are on your side - so use it wisely and profitably!

Good luck in whatever course you decide to do!

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Put a lid of logic over that hole before someone comes along and fills it with crap.

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

I can totally understand your thinking. Humans are creatures of habit, routine...and when that balance is upset ie. leaving the religion, then you are bound to be a little lost. I would say take time to discover yourself, your thoughts.....and dont jump into anything. You dont have to replace religion with religion :)

• parakeet
    parakeet

But since i grew up with my whole life revolving around religous beliefs, to not have any feels like a big black hole, which i'm not sure about. I'm not that sure that i want to fill it with anymore beliefs to be honest, although disconcerting its actualy quite a relief not to believe in anything anymore.

Am i making sense? and does anyone else have experiance with this issue?

You're making perfect sense.

Enjoy the black hole--it's called freedom, though it may not always tickle. When I left the dubs 30+ years ago, the first year was weird -- I felt as though I was floating on a raft at sea. No landmarks, no familiar guides to fall back on. I allowed myself the sometimes-enjoyable, sometimes-anxiety-provoking experience of having no beliefs. Then I started to read about religion, all religions. Although I rejected all except the philosophies of taoism and buddhism, it was a worthwhile task to see what else was out there.

As Satanus pointed out, how you think about your experience will determine whether it's a good or bad. Maybe all you have to decide is whether the black hole is better than the dubs. If it is, then it's the best thing that could have happened to you.

Good luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit