Does marriage work

by wouldacouldashoulda 25 Replies latest jw friends

• wouldacouldashoulda
    wouldacouldashoulda

Hi posters

In the UK 50% of marriages fail. Maybe around half of those who stay married are not really that happy.

With a 75% failure rate does getting married make sense?

w

• dissed
    dissed

Speaking for myself, it does. Been married for 33 years and could not envision not being married.

Honestly, wifey is my best friend. Knew it was destiny when we first met at a JW party. Even our friends said so at the time.

Funny, it was the same for her parents. They knew each other when they were 5 years old and were life long companions.

Was it just luck for us, finding each other the first time? Maybe.

Two of my brothers took two marriages to get it right and they are very happy now. One of them married a Nun. But that's another story, for another day.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Marry someone you like, not someone you love and you might have a chance. If you love someone without liking them, your time together will be cold and empty and very brief.

Realize people grow, change -- sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. Any relationship that goes on for decades will have rocky spots, times when tension between each is pretty high. Mix in how unfair life itself is, how it seems someone somewhere is absolutely determined we end up miserable, and it's a wonder people can stay together.

In the end, I believe, you find someone you can hold on to while the winds of life howl around you. They are your security blanket and you are theirs.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:With a 75% failure rate does getting married make sense?

Only to the other 25%.

Farkel

• flipper
    flipper

WOULDACOULASHOULDA- Sure marriage works. But you have to find the right person. Have a connection sexually, physically, mentally, and emotionally. And be great friends- not just lovers in bed. I got lucky and went on E-harmony.com after going through several girlfriends and 2 previous marriages. Met my current wife in early 2006 - been married 3 years now- never been happier ! So- it can work just have to find your right match in many areas of life

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

if people married for the right reasons the stats would be a lot lower

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Yes, it works beautifully if you pick the right one. Like others mentioned being friends first is key!

My husband and I have been through the worse 2 years of our lives. If I didn't have him I seriously believe I wouldn't have made it through.

He totally took on the role of mother , father, cook, and house cleaner when mentally I couldn't do any of it.

Like they say sometimes you don't know how strong your marriage is until somthing happens to test it.

I couldn't imagian not having him in my life.

For us Marriage works.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

My husband and I are coming up on 30 years next February. We have had times we went through hell in this marriage, but after sobriety, 12 step programs, and counseling, we stayed together and today I cannot imagine being in a better marriage. He is my best friend and it is such a comfort to have him in my life. I know he feels the same way.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

After a previous lengthy marriage that went well for about 10 years, but didn't for the next 4-6, I had decided "never again, no way, no need, not me, uh-uh." I mean, why? Who needs the "paper"? You know, you get to a certain age and point in life and the formalities seem to be just that: formalities.

I did remarry, however, not only because I liked the guy, and loved the guy... but because of this I couldn't think of a reason not to. He deserved me to marry him (and, yes, I deserved him to marry me). Note, I went through the whole list: what if he... and what if he doesn't... and what if I... and what if I don't... what if, what if, what if...

Bottom line, I realized that I would not trade my life with him for one without him... if I didn't have to... that no matter how many times he forgets to take off his shoes when he comes in the house (argghhhh!) I would rather have his dust... than no dust from him at all. Know what I mean? So, I just keep the vacuum in easy reach... and take care to remain the friend... and sister in Christ... I was to him before we ever married. He does the exact same for me.

Peace to you!

SA, a slave of Christ

• AdaMakawee
    AdaMakawee

I actually think most humans are serially monogomous.

Ada

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit