Picked up REVOLVER remastered.....

by lepermessiah 25 Replies latest social entertainment

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I've heard that, supposedly, the original cut was 3 or 4 hours long and that there were stronger arguments than the one between George and Paul.

Too bad, I'd love to see that. Thanks for the wikipedia comment. That sounds about right, McCartney's ego is still running amok it seems

• glenster
  • watson
    watson

Leaving,

Are these the remastered orginal releases on parlaphone, or the Capitol versions?

• watson
    watson

Looks like the American versions. I don't think Magical Mystery Tour was originally an album. EP orgininally.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Will monty python remaster the ruttles, as well? Those guys never missed much. Seriously though, i just listened to tomorrow never knows, and, like you said.

S

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Are these the remastered orginal releases on parlaphone, or the Capitol versions?

I have not personally verified this, but I would be shocked if these were not the original UK album lineups, same as the original CD releases.

For fans and collectors, the US versions are more of a novelty than they are canon, IMHO.

• watson
    watson

I agree LWT. The Beatles were not happy with the Capitol releases.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The Beatles were not happy with the Capitol releases.

Just to be very clear on the use of the word 'Capitol', for the benefit of Beatles newbies reading this, ALL of the new CDs are issued under the Capital Records/EMI label.

What Watson and I are discussing is the fact that the original albums were first released in the UK. The US would get the albums at a later date, after the marketing department had fiddled with the track lineups. So, there were US Beatles albums that never even existed in the UK.

For the sake of simplicity and clarity, the UK albums are considered the official lineups. (I would also argue they have more artistic integrity, as these lineups are the ones the Beatles themselves selected, along with the powers that be.)

This all happend before I was born, so please, someone jump in and give their personal experience with the vinyl, if you'd like.

• watson
    watson

I will go from memory here, not official history. We had no idea in the US, really, that games were being played with the line up of songs on the albums we bought. They were great. Then the "Yesterday and Today" album was released with the "Butcher Cover." The "Butcher Cover" versions were recalled before the general public had the chance to buy very many. This brought out in the open how unhappy the boys were with what Capitol was doing with their music. Not going to go on a lot on this. A good read would be to Wiki the "Butcher Cover."

I believe the Parlaphone releases came out in the early 80s, maybe before. It was exciting to get the real deal. Before that we had to find British releases that people brought over and sold.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I was over at a friend's house the other day and he was showing me a vinyl Beatles album I had never seen before. It was called "Hey Jude" and contained some of the songs that are on "Past Masters Volume 2". Here's what the cover looked like:

He also had this one, which he mistakenly referred to as "The White Album":

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit