the futility of 1-ply vs 2-ply toilet paper (debate)

by SnakesInTheTower 46 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Over on my literature burning thread, someone jokingly suggested that when the Big A comes I am going to regret not saving that paper for toilet paper..... this made me think of recent discussions my fiancee and I have had on this subject.

When we first started dating about 4 months ago, I would come to their apartment for coffee or dinner...after awhile I started spending the night. One thing I noticed was the toilet paper. Lousy one-ply. I despise 1-ply toilet paper. I won't get graphic as some may be eating a meal or drinking coffee....let's just say I consider 1-ply futile. Huh. Oh well, not my house, I will just triple folded.

A month or so into our relationship, she needed to go to the store for groceries. The list included toilet paper. She sends the men (myself and her 8-year old son) off to get toilet paper (aka "bath tissue"...what is the deal with that? Call it what it is..no one is using it to take a bath....just like no one is "resting" in a restroom, but I digress, as I often do.) Her son and I find her requested brand....lousy 1-ply. Because it is cheap and she is, out of necessity of raising two kids as a single mom, frugal, she only buys 4 packs of the 1-ply. Her 23-year old daughter hated the stuff.

Instead, I see a better brand in a 12 pack and, of course, it is my beloved 2-ply. I figure I would pay for it. When we located my fiancee she noticed the a) lack of the usual brand and b) the larger quantity and presumed, correctly c) it was considerably more expensive. What she had not considered was that per square inch, my choice is considerably cheaper than her brand, not to mention more effective at doing its...ummm...job. She never did let me pay for it. Her daughter was happy I think.

Fast forward 3 months...she and her son are moving into my house. I have enough storage room and so the bathroom closet is well stocked with toilet paper (and paper towels). When she opened the closet to put some of her stuff in there, she just started laughing... you see, I buy toilet paper in 24 packs or bigger if available. I buy the good stuff on sale and stock up. I have never in my bachelor life run out of toilet paper. She is coming around to the joys and comforts of simple luxuries such as soft 2-ply.

The other thing I don't understand.... why would you leave an empty core on the toilet paper holder? What is that about? I would go to her apartment and often see an empty roll on the holder, a full roll sitting on the hamper next to it. How difficult is it to, while sitting on the toilet doing nothing but ...one's business, to remove the core, place it in the trash next to the toilet, put the new one on the core, and voila? When the roll is down to the last 10%, I change rolls and put the nearly empty one on top of the new one. And no, I don't have one of those cute roll holders in my bathroom that holds 4 or 5 extras.....the humidity in the bathroom makes the sheets stick together...not to mention the 8 year old has poor aim...wouldnt want to see new paper ruined by a bad shot.

anyway...that's my rant on regular life today. My fiancee thought my "thing" about toilet paper was funny. However, toilet paper does not fall into the arena of "groceries." I still buy that myself. If they ever make 3-ply, I will be in heaven. lol

Oh, by the way, she does the majority of the grocery shopping now.... I hate shopping... I do the occasional shopping and the produce shopping at a farmer's market near my job....everything else "grocery" she does. We split chores otherwise...she hates washing dishes, I am obsessive about a clean sink...there are no dishes now at all. We have a washer and dryer now...she does a load every day or two...I do a load as needed. Primary responsibility for keeping the house clean falls to me....Hell, the beds are already made. I am a bit OCD about it. lol.

Snakes (Rich )

ps...yes, I have a regular job....no I am not working today...I usually work Tuesday-Saturday....but work is very slow the last couple of weeks. If I am posting about the intricacies of 1-ply vs. 2-ply toilet paper, I have waaaay too much time on my hands right now....

PSS....snap...someone does make 3-ply toilet paper. Yes! http://www.quiltednorthern.com/ultraPlush.html I did a search on their site...no one sells it within 100 miles. Damn.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Corncobs.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I care far more about the texture than whether it's one-ply or two. For instance, one-ply Cottonelle is vastly superior to two-ply generic.

• dinah
    dinah

Snakes, you crack me up. You actually did a search for 3-ply toilet paper? I'm rolling!!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

ks:

one-ply Cottonelle is vastly superior to two-ply generic.

true enough... I would never buy generic. It really has more to do with the particular fibers that the paper is made of than the number of plys. Number of plys affects only the strength of the paper. Composition of fibers affects the softness. I like both.

JWoods:

Corncobs

my fiancee once made a crack about me being a JW with a corncob up my a$$..... said I was too uptight at the time about my JW past. I still love her...and she was right..that's what sucks.

Snakes (Rich )

• ninja
    ninja

did you know....the philistines made golden images of their haemorrhoids?.......it's there in the bible.......off topic a tad.......but weird

they could have done with some 3 ply toilet paper....the scripture said their cry reached up to heaven

(1 Samuel 5:6-6:5) 6 And the hand of Jehovah came to be heavy upon the Ash′dod·ites, and he began causing panic and striking them with piles , namely, Ash′dod and its territories. 7 And the men of Ash′dod came to see that it was so, and they said: “Do not let the ark of the God of Israel dwell with us, because his hand has been hard against us and against Da′gon our god.” 8 Consequently they sent and gathered all the axis lords of the Phi·lis′tines to them and said: “What shall we do to the ark of the God of Israel?” Finally they said: “Toward Gath let the ark of the God of Israel go around.” So they brought the ark of the God of Israel around to there. 9 And it came about that after they had brought it around to there, the hand of Jehovah came to be upon the city with a very great confusion, and he began striking the men of the city, from small to great, and piles began breaking out on them. 10 Hence they sent the ark of the [true] God to Ek′ron. And it came about that as soon as the ark of the [true] God came to Ek′ron, the Ek′ron·ites began to cry out, saying: “They have brought the ark of the God of Israel around to me to put me and my people to death!” 11 Consequently they sent and gathered all the axis lords of the Phi·lis′tines and said: “SEND the ark of the God of Israel away that it may return to its place and may not put me and my people to death.” For a death-dealing confusion had occurred in the whole city; the hand of the [true] God had been very heavy there, 12 and the men that did not die had been struck with piles. And the cry of the city for help kept ascending to the heavens. 6 And the ark of Jehovah proved to be in the field of the Phi·lis′tines seven months. 2 And the Phi·lis′tines proceeded to call the priests and the diviners, saying: “What shall we do with the ark of Jehovah? Let us know with what we should send it away to its place.” 3 To this they said: “If YOU are sending the ark of the God of Israel away, do not send it away without an offering, for YOU should by all means return to him a guilt offering. Then it is that YOU will be healed, and it must become known to YOU why his hand would not turn away from YOU.” 4 At this they said: “What is the guilt offering that we ought to return to him?” Then they said: “According to the number of the axis lords of the Phi·lis′tines, five golden piles and five golden jerboas, for every one of YOU and YOUR axis lords have the same scourge. 5 And YOU must make images of YOUR piles and images of YOUR jerboas that are bringing the land to ruin, and YOU must give glory to the God of Israel. Perhaps he will lighten his hand from off YOU and YOUR god . .

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

ninja:

they could have done with some 3 ply toilet paper....the scripture said their cry reached up to heaven

$hit that is funny ...how the hell are you?

Snakes (Rich )

• ninja
    ninja

how do you make an image of your piles?....who models for that?

• ninja
    ninja

good richie rich dude......how's you?......I'm in 3 ply heaven......(that means I put three pages of the daily paper together when wiping my bot)....he he

• JWoods
    JWoods

Did it ever occur to the original poster that a supplicant could always just FOLD IT OVER ITSELF?

Much easier than trying to de-laminate the more expensive luxury rolls...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit