Our "Bible Study" with the Jehovah's Witnesses

by garyneal 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• God_Delusion
    God_Delusion

Gary, in relation to your not understanding the 144,000 section, please review Revelation 14:4 as it also tells us that the 144,000 are Firstfruits and virgins who have not "defiled" themselves with women.

JW's take the 144,000 section as not being symbolic, but the fact that the 144,000 have to be men and Jewish is symbolic.

Can someone explain to me and Gary how the WTB$ explain this? Why is only part of that scripture not symbolic??

RAB

• garyneal
    garyneal

JoJoJones,

I am being very cautious about this religion. My wife on the other hand is convinced that this is "the closest thing to the truth" that she has seen. I've tried reasoning with her and wanted her to at least check the facts for herself before she decides to commit herself to a JW baptism. But she does not seem to be willing. She briefly researched the facts I presented concerning 1914 and the errorneous date that Society proclaims as the date for the destruction of Jerusalem by Babylon (607 B.C.E.). She went to the library and 'researched it' and even though the encyclopedia did say that 586 B.C.E. was the year for the destruction, it made mention of 605 B.C.E. and that was 'good enough' for her. *Pity* She truly believes that the men of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society must have did their research before they just began publishing that date.

God_Delusion,

You make an excellent point regarding the 144,000 and how they take one part making it symbolic and the number making it literal. That's an error in and of itself and I truly believe that it is manifesting itself in the increased number of partakers that the Witnesses are seeing the past few years. Of course, a friend of my mother in law has a ready answer for this too. "Not all of the partakers are of the annointed class, some just 'feel' that they are annointed." That sounds fishy for how do you know which ones are and which ones aren't and if only the annointed ones qualify to be on the governing body, who's to say that a false annointed Witness could not be appointed to the governing body?

I will read the document you posted when I get some time. (So much to digest, so little time.)

Jonathon Dough,

My apologies for not taking the time to read your detailed paper. When I get the opportunity, I will read it as well.

Everyone,

My wife and I had our follow up "Bible Study" today and there were some interesting things covered. Look for part 2 of our "Bible study."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit