Did I commit the unforgivable sin?

by AlexHall 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• undercover
    undercover
    Why Im asking this is that I find the thought-pattern quite interesting. I have no plans on getting back, and I no longer belive in the God of Jw`s. But I still have family in there, that refuses to talk to me, and Im still trying to figure out how some things became as they are.

The thought pattern is because they're indoctrinated to think that way. They're taught to shun disfellowhipped (ex-communicated if you're in Sweden) people. You're disfellowshipped. You have no plans on going back. You are dead to them. If they are faithful to the Watchtower Society, they will continue to shun you.

Good luck on trying to communicate with them, but don't let it get you down. Concentrate on life outside the JWs and go from there.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

The funny thing about the JW religion is that you cannot pin them down on getting a straight answer on this one - like so many others.

If they say that an individual has 'sinned against the holy spirit', and the person is considered an apostate - then later on the person 'repents', and is accepted back in - as a JW - then that 'sinned against the holy spirit' is forgotten.

It's all jibberish and rubbish.

Regards,

Jim TX

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I get what you're saying Alex. It seems like a contradiction. We were taught that God is forgiving--just as long as we don't screw up. We are all imperfect--but you must be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect. We all sin and fall short many times--but sins must be cleansed (and the sinner banished) from the congregation. Jehovah is ready to forgive and doesn't want you to feel discouraged--but when you pray you should beg for that forgiveness and fully confess every dirty little deed.

I like the way someone once pointed out (don't remember who) that other Christians use the term "grace" which puts positive emphasis on God's love, whereas the JWs use the term "undeserved kindness" which puts negative emphasis on human flaws.

In other words, the WTS wants its members to feel like dog turds on the bottom of God's shoe. Try not to be too smelly or squishy and he'll tolerate you.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

To sin against the HS, AKA God and Jesus, one would have to do something along the lines of religious persecution, murder, turing people away from God, things of that nature.

Now, I don't mean asking questions or telling people there is no God or things like that, not putting a persons faith into question, no, not that.

I mean something like being a head of a cult and using that position to cause horrible acts like Jim Jones for example.

• JWoods
    JWoods

If you are asking this question - then you manifestly did not.

• acolytes
    acolytes

Alex Hall

I can see from your few posts since registering. And your post today that you are looking to answers to your question from posters on the board-

My advice to you ALEX HALL . You" Will commit the unforgivable sin" if you fall back into "Watchtower Thinking" and listen to us. Trust Your Heart-

acolytes.

• Chalam
    Chalam

But how do you really sin agains the holy spirit? if the spirit is the power of God, how do you speak against the power?

Matthew 12:22-37 (New International Version)

Jesus and Beelzebub
    22 Then they brought him a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute, and Jesus healed him, so that he could both talk and see. 23 All the people were astonished and said, "Could this be the Son of David?"

24 But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons."

25 Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? 27 And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. 28 But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

29 "Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house.

30 "He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. 31 And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

33 "Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a feature of the Pharisaical WT. They say speaking in tongues and other gift of the Holy Spirit are manifest by unclean spirits.

That is the only "unpardonable sin".

All the best,

Stephen

• AlexHall
    AlexHall

Thanks all for your posts. Jim-tx: thanks, that was exactly the thing I was wondering about. The fact that the Jw´s actually have a unforgivable sin, but that they still "forgive" and embrace them back to the congregation if they "repent"

Jwwood: that was exactly what my brother said. But what I can´t understand is how the question in itself can neglect the sin? That statment requires that I still believe in the "true holy spirit" and that the holy spirit I commited the sin against is the wrong belief? Sinning against the holy spirit is only possible if you still believe that it exist and is real? There is no accidental sin agains the holy spirit?

Never mind, thanks all for the posts. Its good to see that others have thought about it, and can explain in it better words than what I can.

btw: Psacramento: Where did you get the info that you have to resort to leading a sect or killing people to commit sin agains the holy spirit? according to insight vol 1 all who leave the organisation is apostates and part of antichrist? thus sinning against God and the spirit.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Jwwood: that was exactly what my brother said. But what I can´t understand is how the question in itself can neglect the sin? That statment requires that I still believe in the "true holy spirit" and that the holy spirit I commited the sin against is the wrong belief? Sinning against the holy spirit is only possible if you still believe that it exist and is real? There is no accidental sin agains the holy spirit?

Maybe you are taking things a little too seriously. This is the charm of the biblical Jesus - he did not try to pose himself as honor-judge of everyone and everything.

• AlexHall
    AlexHall

What I mean is that its a paradox. Its only possible to commit a sin agains the holy spirit, or God if there is undisputable evidence that God is real. And since all religion is based on faith and something you believe in, despite lacking evidence, how could a Diety punish you for something that couldn´t be proved as a absolut fact?

What I don´t understand is why the bible, and especially the witness makes such a deal about it, when they themself can´t explain what it means

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit