We mutually ended my "studies" today

by Janey214 35 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Those were a series of great questions.

• carla
    carla

Well done! I'm so happy for you! you dodged a bullet.

• Janey214
    Janey214

Thank you so much all of you for your support - and SixofNine I'm in England :-)

I just can't believe that after we, as in me and the two ladies who visited with me, both agreed that the studies were getting nowhere, especially when it was them that brought it up not me, that they would then have the audacity to send around two men to harass me. And I don't use that word lightly.

I could semi understand their reaction if I'd been going out to meetings or whatever but all it's been is an hour or so on a Monday chatting about the Bible.

Anyway, like I said to them when they questioned me on it yesterday, I never said that I was looking for help from them they simply turned up and we got talking. I don't have a problem with that and I feel that I've come away from the studies with greater knowledge about the Bible and my own faith. I feel that the work I've done with them has somehow strengthened me even when I've been in direct opposition with their points.

I don't think I'll be quite so willing to listen to any of them though next time. I get that they think that they're saving me from being destroyed completely, but to be quite honest, if God is anything like their portrayal of Him then I'd prefer to be.

J

• moshe
    moshe

Good job. Questioning dogmas will never make you popular with JW's or with any church for that matter.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

JWs are adept at wasting enormous amounts of time. With 4-6000 hours on average to get a recruit baptised, their own numbers show how ineffectively their ministry uses time. Most of the problem is that they do not teach a salvation doctrine that can be explained in a couple hours or so. They must teach an elaborate doctrine that has many twists and turns, and is self contradictory. For a thinking person to accept this they must be hammered with the same teachings over and over enough to numb the mind so as to accept it as factual.

JWs also also adept at dodging questions by changing the subject, attacking the questioner, or rambling on and blowing theocratic smoke up your orifices. There is a good clip illustrating these tactics over on this thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/180980/1/How-can-a-teacher-be-dishonest-to-a-study-and-have-any-credibility

So, congratulations. Your mind has some immunity to irrational nonsense.

• steve2
    steve2

The way to elicit niceness from JWs is actually very simple: Do not question their beliefs. The way to see the "other side" of JWs is also very simple: Question their beliefs.

With few exceptions, once you question JWs about their beliefs, you'll see a completely different side - and sometimes an ugly one. You're much more likely to see the ugly side if you've done the research and ask them the difficult questions (i.e., those that show you've probably done more study on the topic than they have).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit