Has anyone else noticed how long the titles to topics are these days? I mean they used to be quite pithy but now they ramble on and on...

by dmouse 21 Replies latest social humour

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I am thinking about using longer titles, myself.

I am not good at making up titles.

So maybe I should tell more about my point and just let the title be part of the first paragraph. Kinda lead into the post.

Also, I don't think many people realize I have posted because a lot of my questions and comments go unanswered. If I make a real long sentence....like half a page......and let it go for the title......

I wonder how many lines are actually available to make a title?

Maybe I will do one just to see how many lines before chop chop.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Cameo-d, I reckon nobody will bother to open the thread if they've already read your point in a long title.

Teaser titles like 'goodbye everyone!' usually pique interest (though 9 times out of 10 the person is just going on holiday!)

IMHO I think short, enigmatic but relevant titles work best.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Nope.

S

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

helpful for the fluroride heads

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Maybe we're just fans of Fiona Apple.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Maybe we're just fans of Fiona Apple.

LOL!

The longest album title that we could find that actually made the charts is by Fiona Apple.

The album title contains 90 words and, including spaces, 446 characters.

And here it is:

When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right

• Farkel
    Farkel

I'm into short replies.

By that I mean, being concise with what I have to say, and not going into too much detail with each sentence, because that tends to confuse people and make them wonder what one is trying to convey, and losing them in the process, which defeats the purpose of being short and snappy, while at the same time making them too bored to read further, and of course, that is not productive, and I like to be productive by being concise, which is why I really work at being concise and not verbose, because as we all know, verbose is a put off and it implies the writer is not clear about what that writer is trying to say, and communication is everything, and most people don't know that, but windbags don't know that, and I hate windbags and I've often stated I hate them.

That's why I'm into short replies.

AllTimeJeff,

You are a GREAT writer and you've identified something you can work to correct. It is difficult to be terse, as I've shown above, but it can be done, which as I've shown above, I can't do!

Farkel

• shamus100
    shamus100

Mickey,

Thanks for making me chuckle today.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

You mean like this one?

Hopscotch

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'll admit that I'm "title challenged". I'm at post 1912, but I've started only about 22 threads. I've had other great ideas, but I was challenged to come up with a great title, so I usually don't bother with starting and just post on existing threads.

And now I face a real challenge... I'm coming up to post #1914, which is a major landmark! I don't want to waste it on fluff or arguing about "celebrated JW scholar-not" crap about the 70 years that weren't 70 years.

Whatever will I do for my post 1914? Any great title suggestions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit