Really, There Is A Lot To Learn About Your Faith

by AllTimeJeff 118 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Perry
    Perry

Jeff, I believe you when you claim that God has never "spoken" to you. However, untold millions of people claim that God has "spoken" to them. One example that comes to mind was when a colleague of Dawkins, who was also an Oxford professor claimed this experience when debating Dawkins infront of many othe professors. Of course, this no doubt brought derision later. But, what are Christians to do? Are they supposed to lie just so atheists wont be uncomfortable in their naturalism philosophy?

The bottom line is that Christian faith is alive and well today irregardless of your textual issues. And for many, it is identical to those of the first Christians as I have explained.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    But, what are Christians to do? Are they supposed to lie just so atheists wont be uncomfortable in their naturalism philosophy?

No, if they feel that god has talked to them, I am sure that they will say so. It doesn't prove anything for the masses though. You say "millions" as if that were impressive, when in fact, we are talking about billions on this planet. Again, each with a different way of belief, different ways to talk to god, and each methodology and theology is just as relevant as yours.

And it still has nothing to do with this thread, which was merely a meager attempt on my part to comment on the the source history relating to the evolution of Christian theology and faith today. Read up if you want, or believe Perry that you worship EXACTLY like they did 1600 years ago Perry. It doesn't change history. As I am sure it won't change your faith.

• Perry
    Perry

Jeff, of course beliefs have changed. Jesus predicted that they would to the point that people would even deny Jesus as we all did as JW's at the Lord's supper.

But, you offer this indisputable fact as support to your outlandish claim that "clearly" faith today is different than that of the first Christians. This is illogical because the facts you present have nothing to do with that first faith since it predates the support you offer. That is a fact and you cannot change that fact no matter how hard you try.

I know that no amount of logic will sway your religious beliefs. And, that is what it is - religious of sorts. The fact is that people BEFORE THE NEW TESTAMENT WAS WRITTEN knew all about God's legal loophole to circumvent the death penalty through vicarious punishment. They put faith in Jesus as the lamb of God who takes away their sin (and subsequent punishment). That is what the first Christians who came out of the Judaic system believed. That belief (faith) is believed upon by millions today. You may call that "simplistic" to try and discredit it all you want. But it is also a fact that cannot be changed no matter how much you want to change it.

On Judgment Day no one will be arguing about the Eternal Security, the Bible Canon, or past and present participles in the original languages. Since we are all guilty, and no one is righteous, the only topic on people's minds will be; did Jesus take my punishment in my place? Or, did I reject him.

The Jews knew that this life is but a vapor. They knew all about the Judgment that is to come. They put faith in Jesus as the legal instrument that God chose to circumvent the death sentence, yet at the same time carry it out. Millions of Christians put their faith in this identical thing. That is another fact that you cannot change sir.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Hey there Six. You been on my mind lately. I may come to Dallas later this month.... something I want you to look at.

Cool, it would be great to see you. Have a new phone number, I'll e-mail you. I may be traveling some at the end of the month, and definitely will be traveling in Oct., so give me a few days heads up.

Yes lack of belief is possible. That is different than saying there is no God...which is what many dictionaries define as atheist. As I see it there are only three possibilities for man:

1. There is no God (Something from nothing)

A claim of God is a more bold declaration that "Something [came] from nothing", as god is claimed to have no creator, and is certainly not claimed to have evolved. Even people who believe in completely undirected abiognesis would be quick to correct that to "something from something".

2. There is an evil God ie. one who doesn't care

As well, there could be a God who cares but doesn't have the power to help. That might not meet very many people's standard of a "God", but if some supernatural being could prove he/she/it created humans.... well that would end 99% of the arguments right there, even if said supernatural being was not all -powerful.

3. There is a God who will judge

This is too horrible to contemplate, given my driving record and penchant for sometimes eyeing a woman "with lust in my heart".

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

BTT- I have nothing to add, but am enjoying reading the posts- please keep them comming!

• Perry
    Perry

Ok, look forward to getting that.

On point one, I guess there could be an infinite digression of cause and effect events, though this seems to have been abandoned by modern discoveries in astrophysics. Science seems to agree that there was a beginning to the universe. From my point of view, God claims to have power over time....having invented it. Hence, he exists outside of time...and thus is self existing. There was nothing before God because "before" was one of his creations.

On point two. The fine tuning of the universe makes your alternate possibility quite deep into the realm of the impossible. Whoever was intelligent enough to fine tune the universe is also capable of "helping" ; or curing may be a better word to my way of thinking.

On point three....well that is addressed by Christianity.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26
    On point one, I guess there could be an infinite digression of cause and effect events, though this seems to have been abandoned by modern discoveries in astrophysics. Science seems to agree that there was a beginning to the universe. From my point of view, God claims to have power over time....having invented it. Hence, he exists outside of time...and thus is self existing. There was nothing before God because "before" was one of his creations.

No Two scientist will agree 100% with this statement- fact!

On point two. The fine tuning of the universe makes your alternate possibility quite deep into the realm of the impossible. Whoever was intelligent enough to fine tune the universe is also capable of "helping" ; or curing may be a better word to my way of thinking.

If it was so carefully fine tuned as you are sugesting- why do we need help/a cure again?

On point three....well that is addressed by Christianity.

In YOUR OPINION!!!

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Sorry- I just felt the urge to add my 2cents worth... please continue with your weak arguments Perry- I'm all ears....

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

In what way are Perry's arguments weak? Again, I'm fascinated with the atheists' need to attack and tear down the beliefs and faith of Christians, or at least to attempt to. By poisoning Perry's well by claiming his arguments are weak, you in fact strengthen them. Why not just let us Christians continue to masturbate in our own feces or whatever else it is you think luddites who believe in sky daddies do? Surely with such a retarded way of viewing life and the universe we only have a couple of years left before we evolve into something much more pleasant. I'll say it again, Christianity is almost 2000 years old. It should have died out. The Bible contains literature that is much older. Surely it should have been reduced to a mere footnote in the evolution of mankind. Yet for some reason the story of Jesus and the cross is still shaping and changing lives around the world. That, to me, is absolutely incredible. I've experiened the change that speaking to Christ, inviting him to come into my life has had on me as a person and the life I live. Rather than living with any sort of fear, as many claim Christianity is about, I'm living a life where I fear nothing. I speak to Christ and he speaks back, either through the Bible or through circumstances beyond my control or through the tangible, answer to prayers. Incredibly millions of people believe God has and is speaking to them, just as millions believe he doesn't. God, we were told by Nietzsche, was dead. Frustratingly for the atheists he continues to live.

As for there being some sort of fuss over whether Christians worship in exactly the same way as they did 1700 years ago, my reply is to ask, is Jesus front and centre of any Chrisitan worship? Anyone claiming to be a Christian should always have Jesus font and centre in their worship. That's how it was in the 1st C. and that's all that really matters.

Some recommended reading;

There is a God - Anthony Flew

God is Not Dead - Amit Goswami

Is God a Delusion - Nicky Gumble

The Dawkins Delusion - Antony McGrath

The Case For Christ - Lee Strobel

Darwin's Angel - John Cornwell

And my personal favourite -

Atheist Delusions: The Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies by David Bentley Hart And if we want God to speak to us, try speaking to him first then giving him the chance to reply through his Word the Bible. A simple prayer like, Lord Jesus, I struggle to believe that you are alive and interested in me. I find it hard to see the evidence. Please speak to me and open my eyes to any reality that you may be there. God may have been using this very thread to speak to us in some way. If there's any probability that may be true, what are we going to do about it?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi there. I wouldn't describe Perry's arguments as "weak". I would use "typical" and "predictable". As are my arguments no doubt.

Just for the record, and so as to insult no ones intelligence here, I have a problem with the judgmental aspects of Perry's faith specificially, and he and I have gone around a time or two before. I have no problem with him believing that Jesus is god as that is a personal decision he has made. I generally have no problem engaging you Perry, except that the point of this entire thread seems to have been lost on you. It wasn't an attack on your faith, or Christianity. It was an invitation to consider an overview of history, not doctrine. What one chooses to believe, regardless of how the dogma was passed on, is not as important to me as it once was. Most of us believe in things we cannot prove to one degree or another. As long as there is no organized effort to enforce personal religious beliefs on others in the public domain, I am fine with people worshipping how they will. (as always, if they want to discuss said beliefs with me, and I am in the mood, its always a good conversation)

As I have stated previoiusly, quoting myself, this thread was merely about learning the history and evolution of Christian faith. I think it healthy to read up. In spite of Ehrmans critics, I simply respond to have anyone read a couple of his books. He isn't lying. Beyond that, do your own research, its all there.

Password, I do not always agree with you, but I respect you very much. However, this thread is not an attack on Christian beliefs. It's about learning of the history of Christianity from the 1st through the 4th centuries. Even if it is one's belief that Gnostic views of Christianity was always viewed as heritical by the Church fathers (debatable I might add because most writings that weren't in line with the newly cannonized NT were destroyed) it harms no one to read up on it. It's fascinating really. And the most important thing for me is that it represents honesty. It isn't my intention to destroy anyone's faith, or to mock Christians.

Password, I think understanding that Christianity is one of many ancient faiths still with us (Judaism, Islam, etc) is not, in of itself, instructive as to its veracity. Age alone means nothing. But having said that, if you feel that it is a criteria that matters, I will merely point out that older faiths exist, and leave it at that.

Again, my invitation, plain and simple, is for all of us to take responsibility for knowing what we believe in matters of faith, and to be honest. I respect less a theist who refuses to look at potentially damning information regarding ones faith then someone who has at least considered it. Remember, as JW's, we couldn't look at negative info on our old faith, because it would damage it. Why in the world would anyone think it proper to keep up that tradition, even if they have gone more mainstream in their Christian faith?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit