Really, There Is A Lot To Learn About Your Faith

by AllTimeJeff 118 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    It doesn't surprise me that out of all of the major Christian religions, Catholics would publicize this a bit more, given that they stress holy tradition over holy scripture anyway.

Not quite true, ATJ. Scripture is written tradition. It is neither above or below the spoken tradition. It is a part of it and neither contradict. I believe this statement is accurate for the Orthodox Churches as well, and even for the great majority of Judaism. Sola Scriptura is a Reformation era innovation.

BTS

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

BTS, we are probably getting "semantical" again, but my statement should have implied that. However, there are two things to keep in mind regarding this... First reference from Wiki

Sacred Tradition or Holy Tradition is a technical theological term used in some Christian traditions, primarily in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox traditions, to refer to the fundamental basis of church authority.

The term "deposit of faith" refers to the entirety of Jesus Christ's revelation, and is passed forward to successive generations in two different forms, Sacred Scripture (the Bible) and Sacred Tradition (apostolic succession).

In the theology of these churches, Sacred Scripture, is the written part of this larger tradition, recording (albeit sometimes through the work of individual authors) the community's experience of God or more specifically of Jesus Christ. Hence the Bible must be interpreted within the context of Sacred Tradition and within the community of the church.

Sacred Tradition, and thus Sacred Scripture as well, are "inspired," another technical theological term indicating that they contain and communicate the truths of faith and morals God intended to make known for mankind's salvation.

This is in contrast to many Protestant traditions, which believe that the Bible alone is an infallible and sufficient basis for all Christian teaching (a position known as Sola Scriptura) and that an individual Christian alone can interpret the Bible- though no one can say what it means infallibly, and it is always open to interpretation.

The 2nd from the 2nd Vatican Counsel

Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture form one sacred deposit of the word of God, committed to the Church. Holding fast to this deposit the entire holy people united with their shepherds remain always steadfast in the teaching of the Apostles, in the common life, in the breaking of the bread and in prayers (see Acts 2, 42, Greek text), so that holding to, practicing and professing the heritage of the faith, it becomes on the part of the bishops and faithful a single common effort.
    But the task of authentically interpreting the word of God, whether written or handed on, has been entrusted exclusively to the living teaching office of the Church, whose authority is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ. This teaching office is not above the word of God, but serves it, teaching only what has been handed on, listening to it devoutly, guarding it scrupulously and explaining it faithfully in accord with a divine commission and with the help of the Holy Spirit, it draws from this one deposit of faith everything which it presents for belief as divinely revealed.

It is the task of interpreting and comparing what has been handed or written down that is of interest. This effectively puts men living today in charge of what is put forth officially, either the written or oral tradition. And there are many instances of Catholic tradition trumping biblical (written) tradition.

Thats all I meant.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    And there are many instances of Catholic tradition trumping biblical (written) tradition.

Please show me something the Church requires today that trumps Biblical tradition. We consider the Bible to part of the deposit of faith, not the deposit entire. The rest of the deposit extends, explains, or contains what may not be written in the text, but it does not contradict it.

Church authority

Private interpretation is not binding or authoritative, neither mine, nor yours. Neither is private revelation binding upon anyone but myself. Scripture clearly shows what protects the deposit of the faith we recieved from Jesus:

1 Tim 3:15

...the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

You say there is a lot to learn. There is, I am trying to help you. :-)

BTS

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

BTS, I wouldn't presume to argue with you, as you are Catholic. (right??) However, what I said is how other Catholics described their faith to me. No offense meant. If you feel I got this wrong, I will bow to that.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I am not trying to make you bow dude, just sayin'. This isn't a political thread. ;-)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, the RCC call their priests "Father" and in the bible iyt states "call no one father, but your father in heaven".

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Well, the RCC call their priests "Father" and in the bible iyt states "call no one father, but your father in heaven".

Do you call your father, "father"?

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

LOL !

I think that both of us know that what Jesus was referring to had nothing to do with parents.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Right, it had nothing to do with priests, either. Remember, Jesus used this hyperbole with regard to the word "teacher" also.

If Timothy was a spiritual child to Paul , what did that make Paul in relation to Timothy?

Therefore I sent to you Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ (1 Cor. 4:17)

To Timothy, my true child in the faith: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord )1 Tim. 1:2)

To Timothy, my beloved child: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord (2 Tim. 1:2)

And Paul also writes:

For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel (1 Cor. 4:14–15)

And so on. Ultimately there is one Father, one Teacher, one Shephard one Priest for us all. However, within the body of Christ, some of us have these spiritual roles with respect to each other, under Christ.

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

BTS,

No one ever called Paul "Father" and the use of that term when applied to priests is not biblical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit