Tattoos or not tattoos...

by Cthulhu 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Actually one of the elders from my local cong had a few tatts- they look old and faded (from his pre JW years I imagine???), he must have been human before joining!

If it was/is a tattoo you had done before 'knowing or learning' the truth- then no DF! but it was made pretty clear to me during my time as a study that getting a tattoo was 'off limits' for JW's!

Personally I would have to say Fuk them! it's your body mate, do what you like too it... I'm getting my kids names tattooed on my ankle for my birthday this year- I'am getting it done to look like a chain with little elephants inbetween their names, kinda like permanent jewlery- (i orignally wanted 2 dolphins around my belly button but they would have looked like humpback whales after 3 kids LOL).

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace! I would like to respond, if I may - thank you!

The same "law" that prohibits tattoos also prohibits the eating of pork and seafood. It also prohibits body piercing, condemns homosexuality, and considers those stricken with leprosy and a woman on her period as "unclean." Among [many, many] other things. That law was fulfilled by Christ, however, and as a result nailed to the same stake/tree/T/cross on which he was also nailed. If one wishes to adhere to that law, which law was mediated by Moses and ratified by the blood of bulls (which ratification was accomplished by the sprinkling of such blood on the party seeking to be bound), one is bound to ALL of that law - the part regarding tattoos as well as ALL of the rest of it. So, if one is concerned... or if one deigns to judge one who has a tattoo... such one should be very careful not to eat ham sandwiches or lobster bisque.

If, however, one chooses to accept the NEW covenant, which covenant was mediated by Christ and is ratified by HIS blood (which ratification is accomplished by the drinkingof such blood as well as the eating of his flesh), that one becomes FREE from ALL other laws... except the law of LOVE. That's because this NEW covenant sets forth a NEW "law," which is summed up in "you must love God with your whole heart, soul, strength, and mind, AND you must love your neighbor as yourself."

Given the summation of the NEW law, then, one would not do anything that would be "against" one's brother... or even a stranger... because LOVE would prohibit it. Placing an image on one's body, however, shouldn't, in all reality, cause anyone else any harm or be constituted as "against" anyone else except if doing so would cause harm to another (i.e., perhaps [severely] "bother" another's conscience, and even then, the one whose conscience is "offended" would need to examine their conscience as to WHY they are "bothered" for we are not to be "easily stumbled"). If there is the risk of such harm one should think seriously about doing it as TRUE love "does not look out for its own interest."

Bottom line... if you are a party to the NEW covenant you must do ALL things in love, including denying yourself something that you KNOW would cause another's conscience to be impaired. However, love "covers a multitude of transgressions" and "if you show mercy you will be shown mercy." So, if you are a loving person, who does not put your own interests first, but that of others, and if you are merciful toward those who transgress against you, even if you commit a sin there is a propitiatory sacrifice... the blood of Christ... that can cover/cleanse your sin, IF your getting a tattoo... or doing anything else - excluding blashpemy against the Holy Spirit - actually constitutes a "sin" (i.e., turns out to be something "against" someone else's conscience).

On the other hand, if you are NOT merciful... if you DO judge... and if always put your own interests first, then your sins, whatever they may be, including burdening someone else's conscience regarding anything, including tattoos, will stand. You will not be shown mercy with regard to them, but will be judged according to them.

It really is that simple - there are three (3) choices:

1. Adhere to the old law [covenant]... any part of it... and you will be judged according to it. All features/aspects of it. Period.

2. Adhere to no law, and you will be judged... according to your deeds... in the same manner that you judged, you will be judged others. Period. And all have judged others, detrimentally, at some point or another. Out loud... or in our hearts.

3. Enter into the New Covenant and be shown TRUE love, mercy, and forgiveness... so that you can, in turn, learn to GIVE them (and I am referring to TRUE love, mercy, and forgiveness... not the "convenient" kind that we learned from earthling man - that which we give when it's easy, or convenience, or in our own interests) and not be judged at all.

For those in union with Christ "have no condemnation." That really is how the New Covenant works.

Again, I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

AGuest- I love my neighbor, he owns a tattoo parlor, as a paying customer in this time of financial crisis, Iam helping to keep food on his table by using his services and skills- Next time kindly just answer the friggin question asked and keep your rantting to a minimum!- thank you.

CAN YOU BE DF'd FOR GETTING A TATTOO? answer- probably!!!! so... what did you get done? (post a pic ?)

• Lieu
    Lieu

I just got two tats ... one of which is a smurf.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

A couple/few things, if I may - thank you! First, I am not sure where my response questioned your love for your neighbor; indeed, I don't believe I addressed you at all (although you could be Cthulhu and I'm just unaware). Second, that you are supporting your friend by patronizing his business is, IMHO, very commendable. Extremely. Indeed, your doing so is an obvious demonstration of your regard for his talents, if not your actual love of his person (of course, you could just give him some money... or food... if that's what he really needs, you know, without actually having him do a tattoo... or provide some other service... in which case he could, you know, save his ink/supplies... and time... for someone else. But supporting his business is good, too, particularly if you don't wish to offend his sense of pride and honor, which is entirely understandble. Either way, I say GOOD for you... and go for it! And I do mean all of this with all sincerity).

On another note, entirely, because I was away close to a year, you know, living a bit of "life" and so thought perhaps some things had changed, I did go and re-review the posting "rules" (I'm a little, OCD-ish that way - I try to conduct myself properly when I'm in someone else's "house," which I consider this forum to be). And while some things have changed (albeit relatively little, from what I can tell, praise JAH), I did not find anywhere that said one HAS to specifically answer/respond to the particular question(s) posted. Indeed, a review of several posts seem to indicate that on occasion (well, quite often, actually), responses do NOT specifically address the question(s) posed. Indeed, some don't even address the actual topic raised. I don't believe that was the case here, though.

To set your mind at ease (which, judging by your response, it wasn't), however, dear Lillith, I'd like to explain my response (not that I need to, of course, but I do so out of love for you, as you obviously don't know me or why I posted as I did, and so perhaps doing so will help you to respond a little more appropriately... if not kindly... or perhaps not at all, in the future... which would be fine with me):

I usually post what I do to help those who wish to know the BIBLICAL "rule" (not that such matters at all, as I have come to know, but there are many who are still "bound" by such things as well as some who still "search" the "scriptures" for such information)... as well as those who wish to understand the SPIRITUAL "rule" (which does matter, at least to those "wishing" to understand the TRUTH regarding such things). That is the reason I come here and have been posting as long as I have: there are those who, although perhaps no longer infatuated with the WTBTS, still want to know what the Bible says/teaches... and/or what is the TRUTH... about certain matters.

The fact that the question even came up (i.e., someone's mother may take issue due to her conscicence) indicates that perhaps more is required than just a response as to what the WTBTS may or may not do. I mean, who really cares what they may or may not do? Only those still in some kind of bondage (regardless of how slight) to her. Perhaps that includes dear Cthulhu, based on his/her question (can they DF for tattoos?) Perhaps you. Rather than worrying about what those false prophets may or may not do about one sporting a tattoo, however, perhaps such one needs to know why they [the WTBTS] shouldn't have a say one way or the other. Because KNOWING this might actually help such one [Cthulhu] become FREE of his/her FEAR of such an action (DF'ing).

And who am I to withhold such information? I am a servant to the Household of God... to all those that go with them... and to all of mankind. And through holy spirit I became aware that perhaps someone was actualy "residing" in fear with regard to this subject. Since love casts ALL fear outside, and I am obligated to show love to ALL of mankind... I offered... out of love... the TRUTH of the matter. In the hopes that perhaps such one might become FREE of his/her fear... at least in this case. And I offered it FREE... because I receive(d) it FREE. Which is further demonstration of my love for such one. I receive no benefit from it: he/she can take it... or leave it... as he/she sees fit. But were I to sit tight and keep the truth of the matter to myself (hey, it's not my life/conscience/fear/bondage, so what do I care?)... where is the love in that?

Now, I totally understand that there are some, including you, perhaps, who don't have the desire, patience, mind... or heart... to "hear" such things. Absolutely NO problem, none whatsoever! I do not judge you, not in the least. I totally get that. However, out of my love for YOU... and in order to make this easier for YOU... perhaps I can offer you a little truth, as well: you do not need to read what I post. Not at all. Truly, I assure you, I would take NO offense, absolutely none, whatsoever, if you chose to to ignore, skip over, and otherwise disregard anything that I post, if indeed you have the desire, mind... and heart... to do so. Really. Feel... well, "free."

YOUR servant... and a slave of Christ,

SA

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lillith26..

If you read Aguest/Shelbys post..

You will find,she did answer the thread..Incredibly well I might add..

There are many old Biblical rules..

When Jesus came on the scene,all those Rules were tossed out the window..

Jesus became the new book of rules..

If you want to be an old ancient Jew..Follow the old rules of the Bible..LOL!!

If you want to be a Christian..Follow the words and example of Jesus..

The Old rules in the Bible do not allow for Tattoo`s..If your an old ancient Jew..You can`t get a tattoo..

Jesus does`nt mind if you get a tatto..If your a Christian and you want a tattoo..Go ahead and get a tattoo..

Thats what AGuest/Shelby is trying to explain to you..

Don`t dismiss Shelbys wisdom and insights..Because..You don`t understand her style of writting..

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

I am planning on getting one.

And no, it is not a df'ing offense!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cthulhu, what a cool name! Aren't you a god, or something. Do you mind if i just say it a few times? Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu.

There, i feel good, now. And thanks for being, you know, Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu CthulhuCthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu Cthulhu.

S

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

No.... No way its a DF offense ... unless maybe you have a Cross, some other religious element or 1914 with a line drawn through it.

Otherwise, just don't make an issue about it and noone should say a thing.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit