Tower Of Babel

by Blue Grass 65 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/jasher/index.htm

That's the one I have.

IMO, it is most valuable in "fleshing" out some of the accounts found in Genesis.

Sylvia

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

God wasn't angry because of the hieght of the tower but because of why the tower was being built and what it symbolized to Nimrod.

I hear you. WTS has said similarly, and most everything they say is taken from others. And I can allow for your way of thinking. I don't attack believers just because I don't share their beliefs. But posting a question as this invites criticism.

My problem with such stories is that they are piled in with the many stories that Man is learning just are not really what happened.

Worldwide flood, the exodus, Hebrew slaves even being in Egypt in vast numbers, a 12-tribe Kingdom under David and Solomon, all creation created suddenly and separately according to kind- all revealed to be untrue.

But put that all aside. God created humans and put the first two of them to an unfair test. When they failed the unfair test, God created conditions that led to violence. God's creation in heaven interferes with His creation on earth and He regrets the entire earthly creation and destroys it except for the tiniest part of it. From that point onward, Men should have been in defiance of God. He was a violent destroyer. He demanded too much of His creation. Man was not meant to be enslaved to God. Supposedly, He put everlasting into the hearts of men. If so, He put the desire, even the demand for FREEDOM in their hearts and minds.

Another possibility for the mythical Tower of Babel and what it represented- People were learning that they could do without God, there was nothing they could not accomplish without God simply by collaborating. The writing represented God preventing that collaboration. Because God was jealous. It would be along the lines of a father making sure his son doesn't succeed to make the father look better. This is similar to the defiance in the Garden of Eden. "Now that they gained wisdom from the tree, they will realize they don't need God. Let us put them out of the garden before they figure everything out."

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Rather than acknowledge these obvious facts, the indiviual decided to turn off his brain and pretend every language on this earth stems from one language just so they could justify critizing an accurate
    account in the Bible. This is something that is done very frequently by atheist on this site. They stop using common sense just so they can nip pick at any and everything in the Bible no matter how unfounded
    the attack is............Blue grass

What an insightful post!!..

Everyone knows when astronaughts go into space..They come back speaking a different language!

Buildings are never built more than 3 storys tall,because God alway confuses the language on the 4th floor..

Bethelites are often sent to mountain tops,to learn a new language instantly..

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

OTWO, God really fucked it up didn't he?, B?G most of the Atheists I hear speak far more common sense then some of the Creationist baloney I've heard, and what's your problem with Atheism?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Blue Grass,

There are many people that have a "touch" for language and they speak many unrelated language, they all say pretty much the same thing that al languages are related if you can find the commonality and many do view them in a matematical sense.

I suggest you be more open to these things before you make rash comments.

My spanish teacher in Portugal ( where different languages were mandatory) spoke not only spanish and portuguese ( same family) but Basque and Mongolian !

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Now it was Nimrod who excited them to such an affront and contempt of God. He was the grandson of Ham, the son of Noah, a bold man, and of great strength of hand. He persuaded them not to ascribe it to God, as if it was through his means they were happy, but to believe that it was their own courage which procured that happiness. He also gradually changed the government into tyranny, seeing no other way of turning men from the fear of God, but to bring them into a constant dependence on his power. He also said he would be revenged on God, if he should have a mind to drown the world again; for that he would build a tower too high for the waters to be able to reach! and that he would avenge himself on God for destroying their forefathers !

With slight modification, this passage could be true today.

BTS

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

PSacramento you're completely missing the point. A person's opinion doesn't matter in this case. There is clear evidence that some languages have no relation to each other and that's a fact that's not open to debate. I fail to see why you keep bringing up opinions from other people as if their opinions somehow change the facts. The fact remains however that there are plenty of languages that differ completely in grammar, pragmatics, semantics, syntax, alphabet/ abjad / abudida , etc. and have nothing in common. The opinions of your friends or teacher will not change that fact.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Blue grass,

The opinions of people that TEACH languages don't matter ??

The teach ancient languages, don't matter?

I just wanna make it clear that you say, it is a FACT, that amny languages have ZERO to do with other languages?

Correct?

If you can specify some, I would love to challenge that assertion, if I may.

• marmot
    marmot

Blue Grass, what are you trying to get across by saying certain languages are not related? That it was God who created them?

It just means that their progenitors are extinct and from different linguistic branches. Language is constantly evolving and dating a language using comparative linguistics gets harder and harder the farther back in time you go, and generally cannot be accomplished with any degree of certainty past 10,000 years.

Just think of all the Romance languages. They all began as Latin a mere 2000 or so years ago yet think of all the variations today (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Creole, Romanian, etc.).

Did God create those languages too?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

PSacramento you're completely missing the point. A person's opinion doesn't matter in this case...Blue Grass`s opinion does not matter..According to Blue Grass!!

There is clear evidence that some languages have no relation to each other and that's a fact that's not open to debate...Says Blue Grass who does`nt have an opinion..

I fail to see why you keep bringing up opinions from other people as if their opinions somehow change the facts.....Says Blue Grass who does`nt have an opinion..

The fact remains however that there are plenty of languages that differ completely in grammar, ...Says Blue Grass who does`nt have an opinion..

pragmatics, semantics, syntax, alphabet/ abjad / abudida , etc. and have nothing in common....Says Blue Grass who does`nt have an opinion..

The opinions of your friends or teacher will not change that fact...Never let an educated persons opinion get in the way of someone,who says they have no opinion!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit