The toll on women..

by freedomisntfree 26 Replies latest watchtower medical

• wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

Oh man, dont get me started on being single and not wanted...lol. There is so much pressure as a JW to marry young. And if you're not married by 18, something is 'wrong' with you. I remember being 17 and people asking me why I didnt have a boyfriend and if I didnt hurry up, Id be 'left on the shelf' and 'past my used by date'. Extreme pressure!

Also, higher education is still looked down upon. I was an intelligent girl, but my parents would not let me go to University. My teachers tried to get me to, but I said no, at that time I agreed with my parents. Eventually I did go to University, some years later once I was an adult. But the entire time I was at University, I was put down and looked down upon in the congregation. It was awful. Now that I have a degree, noone says a word, in fact, they like being able to say I have a degree in......

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, I could have told you it is a bad place for women. I saw that early on. I wasn't raised in the religion but came in as a young adult. I work full time. After the love bombing stage wore off I came to see the unhealthy attitude towards women - especially single women.

Even though men's attitudes are bad, I am sorry to say, women are the worst perpetrators of trouble for other women (gossip and the like). So, I really have little pity for them. They have all kinds of issues about other women. Married women are threatened by single women and don't invite them because they are afraid they will take their prize of a man away. Or they try to target them to do favors. I ran a gauntlet avoiding these users!

Once I started my fade, problem over. I could never go back to this neurotic set-up.

• wobble
    wobble

Anybody remember a C.O's wife who was halfway normal ?

love

Wobble

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Great thread. Everything said here is true of my family and extended family. Chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, severe depression, alcoholism, dependency on anti-anxiety meds, pain meds, and anti-depressants. Undiagnosable illnesses and a medicine cabinet full of "cures". This even applied to my mother, sister, and an aunt that faded many years ago but never admitted to the rest of their family that they were no longer JWs and they never dealt with all the negativity and trauma they had endured.

• wobble
    wobble

I have just seen my old post above, and I remember one C.O's wife who was O.K and that was Beryl Pearson here in the U.K

Mind you ,I am going back to the early seventies when she was young and just starting out in the circuit work, years of that life takes its toll.

The witness ladies do seem to have a huge number who suffer as the posts above describe, far far more than in normal society, but could that be because they have to mainly sit and listen to the tripe from the platform whilst their menfolk are otherwise mentally engaged if not physically walking around the K.H ?

For them.perhaps, the Cognitive Dissonance is worse than for the male of the species.

Wobble

• dgp
    dgp

Marked.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yes it is a bizzarely high percentage, but in my experience, it was not any higher among women than in men.

I believe it is a combination of factors, including cult-related stress, lack of proper medical care/healthy lifestyle ("be kind to yourself"), desire to have excuses to avoid fs and meetings, and belief Satan is attacking them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit