Asking for money at the hall.

by GapingMouth 33 Replies latest jw friends

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

Hi all, I don't go to the meetings anymore for I am fading, but a short while ago something happened in a meeting I'd never seen in my entire life as a JW. The local needs discussed the fact that the local branch had bought a new KH for a whopping 1 million Euros. That's insane, but not the part that got me. They discussed the need to cover the costs and encouraged all to donate. They IN THE TALK handed out little pieces of paper and asked everyone to write a sum on it that they WOULD DEFINITELY donate towards the hall over the course of one year. Then they were told any donations towards the hall should be in seperate envelopes and marked as such. So a few things... Aren't the donations for the world wide work supposed to cover these things? After all the fuss of 'the widows might' and just donating what they can and not having to tell people how much, it seems hypocritical to me that they ask in this way. What do you guys think, and have you had similar experiences? And by the way, they obvioulsy have no business sense, there is no way it was worth a million euros. Makes me wonder if they are lieing to get more donations or they are just plain idiots. Probably both. GapingMouth

• cantleave
    cantleave

Never heard of that happening before - really wierd.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

It happend at our congregation. They were going to revamp the entire hall and need to know for sure what donations would go to cover that. So we were asked to fill in 2 sheets - 1. an immediate donation 2. a montly donation. Yes it was shocking. The organisation has so much money and they still don't buy their own halls, they get the members to fund it and then on sale those members don't benefit - it's daylight robbery.

• nelly136
  • Chalam
    Chalam

Looks like "new light" as the bills aren't getting paid!

All the best,

Stephen

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Nothin' new. It's so that one can plan future expenses, possibilities, I guess the rest of the world would call it "making a budget" - and that ain't such a strange thing to do, is it?

• cattails
    cattails

Yeah! It's happening in this area too.

In our congo the pubs were expected to write down how much they could give on a monthly basis.

Now after a couple of years of the numbers not adding up and meeting expectations, there are

local needs talks reminding the pubs of their "yes" meaning "yes" and "no" meaning "no" and

that they promised a certain amount each month.

• GapingMouth
    GapingMouth

Actually, yes, I'd say its wrong. Why? As already mentioned, they have loads of money already. Your average JW gave up a decent paying job to keep a simple eye or from being discouraged to go to college. They sinply don't have the money. Also, if it was for business, they should as the brothers and sisters before they go buying it. You wouldn't buy a house without going to the bank and making sure the money was available. And if the brothers and sisters all contributed to it, surely they should get some money back when they sell it (as also mentioned above). So no, it doesn't make good business sense nor is it moral, in my opinion. Its like a rich man asking the poor for some salt to put on his feast table.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I'm so glad they still don't pass the collection plate like churches do.

lisa

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I wonder if they will find a way to enforce these "tithe contracts"?

says Wiki:

The Tithe War refers to a spasmodic series of violent incidents in Ireland between 1831-36 in reaction to the seizure goods and of chattels by the Irish Constabulary in respect of arrears of Tithes, a tax payable for the upkeep of the Anglican protestant Church of Ireland irrespective of an individual's religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit