Halloween- When you were a JW did you answer the door?

by IWillBeDubbedNoMore 26 Replies latest jw friends

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

I am watching the movie "The Perfect World", and they have a scene of a JW family eating dinner and then the doorbell rings and the mother answers the door with her kids following behind. She opens the door and there are several costumed children saying "Trick of Treat". The JW mother says that they don't participate in such activities. The man who is accompanying the costumed children says "Pardon me" Then she says "We are JWs" and the man tips his hat and apologies.

Has anyone ever or knew someone who answered the door on Halloween as a JW and told them that you didn't celebrate it?

All I know of is people shutting off their lights and not answering the door, including myself.

• blondie
    blondie

No, we would either be at a meeting or if at home we just turned off the lights upstairs and watched tv downstairs in the family room in the lower level.

I heard of jws who answered the door and handed out publications...a good way to get your house egged.

Now we have nice candy, put on the outside light, and hubby dresses up in a costume. We must have 80 kinds under 12 in our small residential area.

The kids love it.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Mom would answer the door while we loaded the razor blades into the apples.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

blondie: They got egged in the movie LOL

Must be very enjoyable for you and your husband.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

Gregor: your the one.

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

How strange it seems now to avoid such an enjoyable holiday. The little kids in their costumes are adorable.

• Megachusen
    Megachusen

My parents always just turned out all the lights and hid.

Its funny thinking about how things have changed. Now Halloween is my favorite holiday.

• RR
    RR

I still don't answer the door!

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

LOL Hiding:It seems so ridiculous now. It is funny how God's people are pushed into hiding just by little kids

• RR
    RR

I don't hide, I just don't answer the door. I don't answer the door for anyone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit