Is Shunning an Act of Revenge?

by cameo-d 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CrimsonBleu
    CrimsonBleu

Mary, You Rock...! that was excellent and well done! I would very much like to keep a copy of that and have it handy for my next round with my sister, and I will not take credit for it, but share it's valuable truths and knowledge.

• Mary
    Mary
    I would very much like to keep a copy of that and have it handy for my next round with my sister, and I will not take credit for it, but share it's valuable truths and knowledge.

I actually have an entire project that I did that I would be happy to send you. It deals with topics such as New Light, False Prophecies, the Generation issue, the house to house preaching, etc. The post I did here was taken largely from the section I did on Disfellowshipping. So if you would like a copy (there's absolutely no charge), you can either PM me with your email address, or you can download it yourself from Randy Watters Freeminds site:

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/bible/mary-s-project-an-analysis-of-jehovah-s-witness-doctrine.html?q=mary+project

• metatron
    metatron

Mary has done an outstanding job. I just want to add one point:

In regard to disfellowshipping, the Watchtower is deliberately, consciously lying. How do I know? Because the points that Mary cites were brought up years ago within the organization. There was a brief period of time during which they established 'rules' that were more reasonable about treating disfellowshipped people. Members of the Writing Staff made the point that the Bible REQUIRES TALKING TO DISFELLOWSHIPPED PEOPLE to "admonish" them as brothers in words directed to common members of the congregation.

Of course, they quickly went back to their original rules in a reactionary panic. Why? Because the organization is dominated by greedy men - greedy for power to control others.

metatron

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Interesting thread.

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I was never baptised so am lucky this is not an issue for me. But I am sure Jesus would never have treated people in this way. Also the shunning has such double standards - why are df person shunned but not people that have simply left. If you are going to (incorrectly) apply that scripture then what is good for one must be good for the other. Or would that be too complicated as there are so many people who left that they would find themselves shunning most of the people they know?

I had a friend who almost committed suicide through shunning. She was stupid enough to start smoking so was df. They were not interested in the reasons why. 4 years on she is still struggling to give up and struggling with depression. Rejected by everyone she knew. Her imediate family at least did not shun her even though she did not live with them. Should they be disfellowshiped too?

What a nice loving religion.

Arte

• boyzone
    boyzone

I can never understand why I am shunned and my husband isn't. He was baptized for 13 years and walked away telling the elders it was a load of shite and he's not coming anymore. He now thinks all religion is baloney and professes no faith at all.

I however DA'd but I still have a strong faith in the bible and try to live as a christian. I am shunned every day like a pariah whilst my husband is greeted normally. Sometimes we're out together and he's spoken to by witnesses while I'm standing next to him

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

It's not really about the DF'd person at all. They couldn't care less about getting revenge. It's for those who are still in, to show them what will happen if they step out of line.

• avishai
    avishai

Brilliant, Mary.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Partly revenge and partly coercion: 'We will freeze you out and force you to return to our fold.'

This gets played out in many families long beyond the point of any possibility of the person returning. Some JW's become extremely frustrated when, 30 years later, their 'loved one' has not only moved on, but wants nothing to do with their JW family members on any terms. I have seen this within my own family - and it is very sad - so much hurt and sorrow - and we all die anyway.

It was the biggest surprise for me when debating on these forums that the agenda is set to try and and bring others out of JWs with them and damage the Jws as much as they can for some which actually

validates the bibles stance of avoiding brothers/sisters that have turned from the faith.

I don't recall the Bible referring to Jehovah's Witnesses as the 'faith.' Is it just as possible that the Bible was referring to Scientologists or Mormons or Rastafarians as Jehovah's Witnesses? None of those faiths were in existence when the Bible was written either.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

It is indeed an act of revenge. WT has become a CLUB, and if you want to be member of that club you have to blindly obey their rules, while Jesus has shown unconditional love, WT's followers are doing exactly the opposite. Their friendship and love is with terms and conditions. You have their love as long as you are part of their club...

And Reniaa can you tell me IF the WT ever disfellowshiped a person for being GREEDY??? Why they are selective in Apostle's Paul council? DO YOU KNOW ANY JW that was disfellowshiped for greedeness??

I can tell you from my 33 years of expierience as a JW, and 8 of them as a Regular pioneer, MS, and elder, that NO one will get disfellowshiped for greed!!!

In my cong we had JW who were millioners and they keep expanding their business activities despite the fact of being wealthy. So how can you define a greedy person? Is there any limit of the money and property that a person should own?

Why did Jesus asked that rich young man to sell ALL of his property, give it to the pour and follow him?

I guess the reason WT will not disfellowship you for being greed is because they are the ULTIMATE greedy Organization on earth. Their greed for glory, power and money are beyond any limits. Besides what would you expect from an organization that replace Jesus for salvation, and in order to be saved you have to get baptized in "God's spirit directed organization"....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit